Vegans/vegetarians how do you deal with criticism?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my husband was very ill in hospital, I would take in homemade soup in a flask so that he'd get some nourishment.

They knew he was vegetarian but always managed to run out of suitable food by the time they got to him. He's already very skinny naturally and couldn't afford to lose any more weight.

They'd offer him something with meat on and tell him to just ignore the meat. But he wouldn't touch it.

I was so glad to get him home where I could look after him properly. :(

That sounds quite typical of anywhere in Ireland north or south sadly.

Ive been veggie about 12/13 years and I don't see what business it is of anybody elses. I get more stick for using cloth nappies than I do being veggie :) - just tell them to shove their opinions where the sun doesn't shine and that you're big enough and ugly enough to make your own choices on what you eat :hug:

lol..ive just clicked on this thread to read the last post and bugger me a KFC paid for advertising banner popped up WTF :eek::lol::lol::lol:

lol I still have CND

I've been vegan for almost 7 years and I've heard it all. But mainly it's because people live in a bubble and they don't like it when they're made to think about their choices.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not a veggie but I don't eat a lot of meat, if I go for a meal a lot of the time I get a veggie option if there's something good....people always say "are u a veggie?" And I say nah I just don't eat much meat and they go "huh really?" Like they're shocked people don't want to eat meat all the time! Just ignore them :)

That sounds quite typical of anywhere in Ireland north or south sadly.

Interestingly, this wasn't Ireland, this was a large University teaching hospital in the UK.

In fact, my OH has to have regular hospital appointments and we found since moving over here, the quality of GP and hospital care he has received so far has been much better that that experienced in the UK. :-/

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread.

My husband doesn't like meat. He'll eat some but not all. I often think it would be easier if he were a veggie.

We have learnt to deal with the comments - especially if they carry on - with 'why does what I eat bother you so much. You might need to get out more'

It annoys me so much that everyone thinks they have a right to comment.

He went off meat many years ago. We were driving through the Sussex downs to visit my lovely dad. There were lambs frolicking in the fields and my husband said 'I don't think I could eat lamb you know' . Of course we arrived at my dad's who rubbed his hand's together saying 'we've got a lovely leg of spring lamb today. '
That was over 20 years ago and he hasn't touched it since!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

He went off meat many years ago. We were driving through the Sussex downs to visit my lovely dad. There were lambs frolicking in the fields and my husband said 'I don't think I could eat lamb you know' . Of course we arrived at my dad's who rubbed his hand's together saying 'we've got a lovely leg of spring lamb today. '

Vicki x

Funny lambs in fields always make people happy and excited for spring but I am with your husband, they make me feel sad knowing their fate.

Sorry AcidPerm I assumed it was a hospital in cork, I can't comment on English hospitals as in my 8 yrs living there I only had to go to the dr twice so no experience of what the food is like. I do know over here though when I was in to have my first daughter it was pretty much tea and toast for me! Had to send the other half home to make me quorn lol

I've been a veggie for years so I've heard most of them now. I just make a joke of it and say, 'I'm sure you have some filthy habits too', that normally shuts them up. It's really none of anyone else's business.

I like that!! :)

My husband doesn't like meat. He'll eat some but not all. I often think it would be easier if he were a veggie.

We have learnt to deal with the comments - especially if they carry on - with 'why does what I eat bother you so much. You might need to get out more'

It annoys me so much that everyone thinks they have a right to comment.

Vicki x

Thats exactly it.. before I became veggie I was practically vegan privately for years but felt I had to eat meat socially to be accepted and really no huge deal but I never liked meat very much. WHY is it such a freaken big deal I dont know? and why does it rub someone the wrong way? some people get so agressive about it when you dont want to eat a piece of meat, yet I couldnt care less if someone wants to eat a steak. Strange thing that

Latest posts

Back