Ventilation/extractor fans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar_Girl

Glitterholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm expanding my training with a level 3 course and I'll be doing L&P and builder gels soon so I'm thinking I am going to need some sort of extractor to keep dust and fumes to a minimum while I practice!

At the moment I've been looking at the Sunflower 2 and the O2 nail dust extractor (leaning towards the O2 as it looks more flexible). I've got limited space so a desk with a built-in extractor is not an option.

Struggling to find many reviews for either though and not sure if I've missed anything?

Hi everyone, I'm expanding my training with a level 3 course and I'll be doing L&P and builder gels soon so I'm thinking I am going to need some sort of extractor to keep dust and fumes to a minimum while I practice!

At the moment I've been looking at the Sunflower 2 and the O2 nail dust extractor (leaning towards the O2 as it looks more flexible). I've got limited space so a desk with a built-in extractor is not an option.

Struggling to find many reviews for either though and not sure if I've missed anything?

I recently purchased the desk top Valentino and love it.
There are some reviews on YouTube if you search.
I bought mine from an Australian seller.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you, its always helpful to get another opinion :D

I will have a look at that one too

To protect yourself from dust, you need a filter system that is rated to HEPA 13 - this captures the smallest airborne dust particles. These are the most dangerous and can be breathed in, and they will float in the salon air for days unless the room is completed ventilated.

To protect yourself from chemical vapours, the filter system needs 2kg of active carbon filter and this should be a minimum of 2 inches deep. There is no desktop filter system, or filter that builds into the table top, on the market that meets this minimum requirement.

Rather than waste your money, I would recommend that you buy a EN 194 rated dust mask. You can buy these from B&Q. Or if you want something more pretty and washable, look at Vogmask. Then take some basic precautions to minimise the vapours from the monomer and other liquids: put hat on the dampen dish when not in use, use air tight trash can and empty regularly. In the meantime save up for a filter system that has a good active carbon filter - they may be twice the price of desktop units but they are 20x as good!

If your premises is on a high street I would check with your council about what ventilation they require you to have.

These days air systems aren't generally optional they are mandatory & must meet code - it's all part of protecting employees in the workplace.

Thank you for the replies :)

Sorry should have clarified that this for use at home in the spare room (hence limited space) while I practice and build my portfolio, at the moment I am mobile but future plan is to work from home so something that can be used in a home salon would be ideal

I don't mind wearing a mask but still want something to minimise dust through the house, I believe both the Sunflower II and O2 meet health and safety requirements SR13, not sure where I would go to ask if I would need more than that for a home salon?

Edit: I really like the look of the Vogmask!

To protect yourself from dust, you need a filter system that is rated to HEPA 13 - this captures the smallest airborne dust particles. These are the most dangerous and can be breathed in, and they will float in the salon air for days unless the room is completed ventilated.

To protect yourself from chemical vapours, the filter system needs 2kg of active carbon filter and this should be a minimum of 2 inches deep. There is no desktop filter system, or filter that builds into the table top, on the market that meets this minimum requirement.

Rather than waste your money, I would recommend that you buy a EN 194 rated dust mask. You can buy these from B&Q. Or if you want something more pretty and washable, look at Vogmask. Then take some basic precautions to minimise the vapours from the monomer and other liquids: put hat on the dampen dish when not in use, use air tight trash can and empty regularly. In the meantime save up for a filter system that has a good active carbon filter - they may be twice the price of desktop units but they are 20x as good!

Any recommendations for a system with carbon filters in? X

We use and now sell a filter system manufactured by Filtronic called the Beauty Line. It's the only filter system that is authorised to be used in Swedish nail salons having passed tests made by SP - the Swedish Testing laboratory. It has two levels of dust filter for both visible and invisible dust particles. This is followed by a 6kg active carbon filter than is 12" deep. The SP tests showed it removes 99.97% of all dust and chemical vapours (this is only possible if you work within the working zone which is approx. the size of an A4 sheet of paper on the table).

We have these in our schools for 4 years and also one at home for Iryna to use when she is making tips or testing new products. The build quality is better than anything else I have seen. There are a few other filters with decent carbon filters, some are made in the UK. But they look so industrial and I haven't personally tested them (as far as I am aware, the Filtronic is the only professional salon filter system to have been tested by an independent laboratory).

I have some info and prices in English, PM me if you want more info. The Filtronic is not cheap, but the replacement filters last for anywhere between 4 to 6 months depending on use - so the running costs are low (about £1/customer). In our salon in Ukraine we gave customers the option to pay £5 more per service to sit at the table with the filter, or not. Pretty much all the customers opted to pay more :). That paid for the filter within 3 months and after that we made £3 extra profit per service.

Ah, little bit large for a mobile tech! Might get one of the masks you suggested, lots of interesting information. Thanks x

Just had a look at the beauty line, it looks very similar to the O2 nail dust extractor, but bigger so not sure I would have space for the beauty line

Plus I've spotted one by vodex called pure beauty which also seems similar

All seem to have carbon filters and meet COSHH SR13

Getting more confused

MrsBB2013 - not sure if it will help but if you wanted more info then here are some links:

O2 - http://www.o2nailfan.com/o2-nail-extractor-fan-dust-acrylic-gel-ventilation-filter-coshh-lev.php
Beauty Line - http://www.beautylinefilter.co.uk/index.html
Pure Beauty -
https://www.vodex.co.uk/products/fu...dust-and-fume-extraction-systems#!prettyPhoto

COSHH SR13 as far as I remember, only specifies the amount of air suction. It does not specify the amount of dust and chemical vapours the filter must remove. The spec was I suspect written not for a filter system, but an extraction ventilation system that sucks air to the outside. Therefore there is no guarantee of the useful performance of filters which only state COSHH SR13.

Bob please could I have more info on your ventilation products. I'm currently researching for a built in system as I have 5 desks and limited for space. Can you help?

Bob please could I have more info on your ventilation products. I'm currently researching for a built in system as I have 5 desks and limited for space. Can you help?
PM

HSE SR 13 is a document for "guidance" for Salons and Nail Bar owners in how to comply with The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 which are law in the UK and is used by ALL local government health and safety officers when inspecting a Salon or Nail Bar. This document is the only guidance they have.
This comment is in bold on the front page;
Caution: ‘dust masks’ are not acceptable as a control.

" (as far as I am aware, the Filtronic is the only professional salon filter system to have been tested by an independent laboratory)"

Ravair Ltd have a range of Fume Extractors and Nail Dust Extractors, including the In Desk/ on Desk Unit which is the most powerful Nail Dust Extractor of it's type in the world, And ALL of their units have a Full Independent Lab Report and LEV test which can be downloaded from the ravair.co.uk website. All units also now have a free Flexzorb Anti Viral Material Filter fitted.

Came across this info.....Scientist and advisor to the beauty industry Doug Schoon has advised nail technicians to invest in proper source capture ventilation for the following reason:

"Pathogens ... take rides on dust particles that fly them all around the room for everyone to inhale. Dusts can carry pathogens, so if you don’t control nail filings/dust, you are not doing all you can to control potentially infectious pathogens.

“Invest wisely in ventilation; buy the best you can – and use it. Buy a quality ventilation unit designed for salons, not something made for living rooms or bedrooms."
Just make sure your fan has a LEV report as this is recognised by insurance and councils for health and safety. Just ask the company who you buy your machine from to send it to you.

HSE SR 13 is a document for "guidance" for Salons and Nail Bar owners in how to comply with The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 which are law in the UK and is used by ALL local government health and safety officers when inspecting a Salon or Nail Bar. This document is the only guidance they have.
This comment is in bold on the front page;
Caution: ‘dust masks’ are not acceptable as a control.

" (as far as I am aware, the Filtronic is the only professional salon filter system to have been tested by an independent laboratory)"

Ravair Ltd have a range of Fume Extractors and Nail Dust Extractors, including the In Desk/ on Desk Unit which is the most powerful Nail Dust Extractor of it's type in the world, And ALL of their units have a Full Independent Lab Report and LEV test which can be downloaded from the ravair.co.uk website. All units also now have a free Flexzorb Anti Viral Material Filter fitted.
I've just purchased the built in unit, and I'm impressed with both, the unit and customer experience.

heya..
I recently bought the pink NSI extractor dust fan. It is portable, rechargeable, quiet, comes with spare filter and best of all.... it's PINK.. lol.
https://www.nsinails.com.au/product...fiwrwHCAAehwRYE_etVGPe6szzXY2gSwaAuihEALw_wcB

This unit only states that it is 75w power. This may be ok for the Australian Health Authorities but would not pass a UK Inspection. It would need an Independent LEV test proving at least 1mt per second downdraft. All Ravair Ltd Units are supplied with Independent LEV Lab Reports and certificates and all easily exceed the required suction.

As a fellow Aussie can you share which seller you went through?

Latest posts

Back