Ventilation unit for nail table-DIY

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
Made this today and wanted to share with my Salongeek mates ....
Get your man of the house to take a look (they are all gonna hate me)
Please be patient while I upload all of the pictures, will have to do it in several posts :)

A chopping board

VENT01.jpg

kinda like a tupperware container

VENT02.jpg

a 120mm fan, fuse and switch

VENT03.jpg

holes in the lid, you gotta kinda think like me (upside down) inside out also helps :)

VENT04.jpg

a vent in the hole you just cut (many fans come with vents, but you can get them for $1 if you are lucky)

VENT06.jpg

the lid and the container ....

VENT07.jpg

VENT08.jpg

Now for the filters .....

Why not use a dust mask ? You can also buy hepa paper ....

VENT010.jpg

cut to shape and size, inside the lid (remember, we are upside down)

VENT011.jpg

An activated carbon filter (this filters the smell) .....

VENT012.jpg

put it together,this is one of those containers that uses clips, in Aus they are called "cliplock" ...

VENT013.jpg

From the top

VENT014.jpg

Switch and fuse in place, also notice the foam tape? This is draught tape, it's to seal doors, so when you screw it under the table it will be dust tight.

VENT015.jpg

The top with seal tape in place ....

VENT016.jpg

As the first stage filet I use a lambs wool mattress protector cut to size, I have founf foam is just crap, if you pull a sheet of foam out and flick it the wrong way, dust flies everywhere, if you use the lambswool mattress protector, the dust stays in the fibres and is more flexible for dust disposal

VENT017.jpg

you get the idea .......

VENT018.jpg

the height (under the desk is 8cm)

VENT019.jpg

drill some holes ready to attach it under your desk....

VENT020.jpg

Carl you're a genius I love this!!! I'll be taking your instructions and will give it a go, well tbh my partner will as I wouldn't want to break a nail now would I ;-) thank you for shari g your DIY tip with us xx

The unit as it look from underneath, lid on and filters in place

VENT021.jpg

Now imagine it attached under the hole in your desk ........

vent022.jpg

Now all you have to do is put some kind of cover over the hole to make it look cool

vent023.jpg

Then finish it off however you like , this is my end result ....

complete03.jpg

Now go and show you husbands/boyfriends, or have a go at it yourselves :)

Thanks a million for going to all this trouble Carl..

My Hubster is a carpenter and he has promised me to make me a hot shot table in Jan ( won't tell you what I had to promise him:rolleyes:) so this tutorial is brilliant as I was wondering if modifying a bathroom extractor unit would work or not.

Thanks again

That is bloody brilliant

See, our Aussie blokes are very clever indeed:)

Great work Carl!!!!!

this is brilliant, and your a genuis. thank you soooo very very much !!!!!!

i have a few question, i have a not so great portable nail dust machine, but when i use it the dust flies all over the place.

my question is, can i use that dust machine, and take it apart and use the parts to make it into this desk? would it still cause flyaways?

or should i buy all these parts separate?

thanks

this is brilliant, and your a genuis. thank you soooo very very much !!!!!!

i have a few question, i have a not so great portable nail dust machine, but when i use it the dust flies all over the place.

my question is, can i use that dust machine, and take it apart and use the parts to make it into this desk? would it still cause flyaways?

or should i buy all these parts separate?

thanks

Just so you know, this is a thread which was created 5 years ago, and some of the posters have been absent for a long while.

You may prefer to create a new thread with your questions instead?

Latest posts

Back