Ventilation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelic778

Reaction score
Just had an environmental health check in my nail bar ... told me I have to have some sort of ventilation system in place .. something that leads to the outside of shop.. now I don't want to pay over the odds for a whole big system can anyone advice and show me wat u have in place for this ??? Desk top ones in place already but there not enough ... thanks xx

Just had an environmental health check in my nail bar ... told me I have to have some sort of ventilation system in place .. something that leads to the outside of shop.. now I don't want to pay over the odds for a whole big system can anyone advice and show me wat u have in place for this ??? Desk top ones in place already but there not enough ... thanks xx
Hi can you tell me what desk top system you have in place? Your Health Inspector is not entirely correct, if you vent the fumes outside you will pollute the air outside, and unless you vent to above whatever is above your salon, it will just go in there when windows are open and could cause more problems.

Hi there I only have an extractor fitted into the desk... I have to get planning permission she told me and ask the two businesses next to me if the object ... I just don't want to go to the expense of a full ventilation system wen it's not necessary x

If the council insist, you'll have no option but to either cease carrying out that service....or vent out!o_O

Hi,
As a general rule desk top extractors will not be enough, on their own, to cope with fumes from nail products especially acrylics. It is not compulsory to "vent" out fumes and smells, in many cases this is not possible, due to planning permission etc and in most cases all you would be doing is moving the toxic fumes and smells outside to pollute the atmosphere. There are many "source capture systems" available that use activated carbon to "capture" the fumes and smells and do not require outside venting. (just google for them). It actually states in the SR13 Coshh Guidelines "replace charcoal filters when the odour control begins to fail" so these are obviously acceptable to the HSE providing they are effective. If you email me though our website I will send you the relevant documentation to show your environmental health officer and information on a New Activated Carbon Extraction Unit that we will have in the next week that will solve the problem.
Ray Vidler

Hi there
I’ve just been reported to Environmental Health by a nightmare neighbour for “odour”. I know it’s not an issue, I’ve been in my salon for 8 years and never had an issue or any complaints. So on that basis, I really don’t feel I need an all singing all dancing system.

hat said...
I just wanted to pick your brains.... what did you end up going for? I already have a table top dust extractor but I know this isn’t super effective for removing the fumes.
I don’t want to have to spend a fortune on an outdoor extraction system/vent.
Thanks xx

nvm old post

Last edited:
Hi there
I’ve just been reported to Environmental Health by a nightmare neighbour for “odour”. I know it’s not an issue, I’ve been in my salon for 8 years and never had an issue or any complaints. So on that basis, I really don’t feel I need an all singing all dancing system.

hat said...
I just wanted to pick your brains.... what did you end up going for? I already have a table top dust extractor but I know this isn’t super effective for removing the fumes.
I don’t want to have to spend a fortune on an outdoor extraction system/vent.
Thanks xx

Welcome to the site.

Just so you know, the original poster you’ve quoted has been absent from Salon Geek since 2017, so may or may not respond.

Ravair Ltd have a whole range of units that will remove vapour/fumes and viruses from indoor space that all use "Capture at Source" Technology and do not require venting outside. These units have been Independently Tested and are accepted by Local Authorities all over the UK and EU. Many of the members on this site have purchased them and use them in their salons. It is not correct that these vapours/fumes should be vented outside.

If physical ventilation is beyond your means and building, think about learning another less ‘odorous’ product. The polygel hybrids are essentially odor free and quite nice to work with.

Personally, I think regular polish and remover are horribly smelly. Don’t ever put your head over the trash bin when changing liners! In my part of the US all receptacles must be metal.

Latest posts

Back