Very dark brown to red without bleach?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silk Hair

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me by advising how I can achieve going from very dark brown (base 4) to a red colour without using bleach. I was thinking maybe L'Oreal Hi - Lights in magenta but I don't want it to be to brighter red, more like a dull slightly washed out looking red and also in not familiar with L'Oreal colour products as I use wella. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me by advising how I can achieve going from very dark brown (base 4) to a red colour without using bleach. I was thinking maybe L'Oreal Hi - Lights in magenta but I don't want it to be to brighter red, more like a dull slightly washed out looking red and also in not familiar with L'Oreal colour products as I use wella. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Trying to upload a picture of the desired colour but cant seem to do it.

What the problem with using bleach?

What the problem with using bleach?
There is not any problem with using bleach I'm just simply asking if there is an alternative less damaging and less time consuming way of achieving the look for my client. Thanks for the question though.

I'm sure it would be impossible without bleach wouldn't it?

Quite possibly yes, but I really just wanted to see if anyone did know of another way. As I have been told I could probably achieve it with L'Oreal hi lights in magenta and that wouldn't involve using bleach, however I'm abit dubious.

How about igora fashion lights? They can lift through old colour but you need to use 12% with them

How about igora fashion lights? They can lift through old colour but you need to use 12% with them
Thank you so much, I will try a small strand test and see how it comes out, I appreciate the advice.

Surely a quality lightener with 3% or 6% is much less damaging than using tint & 12%, especially as you can add Olaplex to the mix.

Surely a quality lightener with 3% or 6% is much less damaging than using tint & 12%, especially as you can add Olaplex to the mix.
I have not done to much colour correction, so in your opinion would you suggest maybe using a lightener with 6% and some olaplex? Could you recommend a colour to put over, I'm looking for a sort of faded red rather than a really bright red. I normally use wella but I'm open to trying another make if the colour is right.

I used affinage b red with 30vol over dark colour. Worked very well. Just be sure to only use 10vol on natural regrowth or it glows!

I used affinage b red with 30vol over dark colour. Worked very well. Just be sure to only use 10vol on natural regrowth or it glows!
Thanks your help, iv never used affinage before, but I may give it a try!! Does it come out very bright cause I'm not looking for a very bright red?!

Affinage bred is brill, I use them all the time, did level 4 coloured hair yesterday with bred+20vol and came out a lovely dark red, no pic tho I'm afraid but try a test cutting :)

You will get a good result with b red. Just in your consultation say it might be a deeper red. Id even go 6.66 on any natural regrowth cos otherwise it could be two different tones of red

Do you know if the level 4 is box dyed and possibly saturated or is it a Pro colour?

If you're undecided, why not do some strand tests to see how the various mixes take? Safer than risking it and it not working out.

Latest posts

Back