Very despondent nail tech desperately needs advice!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonitigercharli

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im new to posting but LOVE this site & all its valuable info, I desperately need help as I am feeling very despondent right now. I have been doing nails on & off for 12 yrs but had a long break & getting back into it.

(Trying to set up mobile business) I have recently done a couple of sets of nails and they have all had a nail break, come off or in one instance a whole hand come off!!! I did a set of L&P sculpts the other day using creative retention+, she called me the day after to say one had come off-I mean, how on earth???

I was so fed up coz I thought I had done all correct prep, sanitise hands, cuticle away, remove shine using white buffer then scrubfresh. I even used primer as well, to ensure no lifting but this has happened?? Then my mum had a full set of NSI gels, and her whole left hand has come off but I forgot to remove surface shine on that hand coz we were disturbed whilst doing her nails....:irked:

Well, to say right now Im feeling a little despondent, fed up, incompetent, miffed would be an understatement...I REALLY want this to work as I have always had a passion for nails & I want to get a good reputation for being professional AND creating fab nails. But this has got me flummaxed..I honestly dont know what Im doing wrong?

Also, I am going back to replace this nail tomorrow but at what stage would you guys draw the line?? As it was the day after and she is a new client & I am trying to build up a new business that is fine, but what if it is 2 or 3 days or even a week after? Would you tell a client they then have to pay?

This is going to cost me petrol etc. & I need to know for future ref. Thank you all in advance....please cheer me up someone!!!:cry: Toni x

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought of have a 121 with and educator to tweak your problems ? You may just need a refresher as you have had a break.

Clara Doon on here is a CND educator in your area - HTH

Thanks Adele, I think I'll have to consider this as its really getting me down- my boyfriend wonders why I am letting it get to me so much but I'm determined to not be a quitter!! I NEED to be good at this, so any help is much appreciated thanks again xx

Hey there,
I was in your position too, I used to do beauty years ago and have done some of it off and on over the years and went to return to it and had a lot of issues. So I did a refresher for nails and up to scratch again after a few practices and now do the gels too! I also redid my whole beauty course as I just felt really out of my depth after being out of it for so many years. When I did it 17 years ago there was no such thing as a brazilan wax never mind peels, microdermabrasion or IPL!! Been doing beauty again after doing 18months of training and it is coming back but finding working for other people keeping me back so now I am going out on my own. Just finding that the young ones that I am working with are not very passionate about beauty and not very professional. It is the passion to do better that will have you up and stiving to sort things out. I think sometimes we loose our confidence and I found out if you show even a sniff of lacking confidence sometimes people take advanage too!! I think a quick refresher, or even just ring the company and see if they have training dates or advice for you. I am sure that you will be back and better than ever in no time!
HTH :)

Hi
Thanks so much for your reply-I think you're right, my confidence has been knocked & I have also met a lot of people who aren't really passionate about it they just wanna 'earn a quick buck'. A good reputation & knowing deep down I AM good at what I do is much more important to me than any money made. I think I will ring them because as you say, it was a while ago I trained and things have probably changed since then. Thanks xxx

I def think a 121 will help you as you will be trying to guess what is wrong and so will we be from your post.
In the meantime get ALL your old notes out and go through them then do a search and get as much info as you need.

I definitely agree that you would benefit enormously from a 121 with an educator. It will raise your spirits no end and sort out any issues you may have. I would also look closely at the nail plates belonging to the person who had them 'Fall off,' too. It 'May' be down to you but, even in my limited experience, you can usually see the tell tale damage that a good picking/banging has caused. Enhancements properly applied don't just 'Fall off.' They need considerable assistance! Good luck. :)

Thanks guys for all the info you haven given me you have cheered me up already :) I agree with looking at the nail plate as I don't see how a nail could just fall off, but they're not going to tell me are they if it means they have to pay again?? Sheesh......Never mind, onwards & upwards!! Ill call CND on monday they actually have a 'Mentor Monday' sesh this week that i wanted to go to but dont know if I can get time off work. Thanks xx

Thanks guys for all the info you haven given me you have cheered me up already :) I agree with looking at the nail plate as I don't see how a nail could just fall off, but they're not going to tell me are they if it means they have to pay again?? Sheesh......Never mind, onwards & upwards!! Ill call CND on monday they actually have a 'Mentor Monday' sesh this week that i wanted to go to but dont know if I can get time off work. Thanks xx

Give the nail a swipe with scrubfresh as that will expose any damage to the nail plate. They can't argue when they see all the ripped layers.

I think once you have a 121 you will feel loads better so don't be too down about it, you will be back on form in no time, chin up :hug:

Hi Doll

You have had great advise from all the geeks above, there a great bunch... Hope you get a 121 and good luck in the future... xx

To give an example of how you can benefit from a 121, I've recently had one with Denise Holland <cnd> in Crawley. I was tearing my hair out over a number of issues and decided to have an overhaul of the whole procedure with l&p forever French. We went over everything from start to finish, including rebalancing.

I picked up loads from Denise and just one session with her has literally slashed my timings by well over a third, whilst also improving my technique and the overall appearance of my sets. If I hadn't gone to her, I'd still be doing the same things, getting the same results and taking far too long only to continue being disgruntled and disheartened with them. Now, though, I'm infinitely happier with what I'm doing and making real progress that not only I, but all my 'Models' can see, too. They are also out of 'The chair' much quicker!! I wish I'd had a 121 sooner, as I feel I wasted a lot of time getting nowhere, but it was the kick start I needed. I really do recommend them. :) :)

Latest posts

Back