Very dirty finger nails, should I have cleaned them

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi I have a non paying client/ model, I dont charge as yet ,
who seems to have pretty dirty fingernails ?
she had around three fingernails which were dirty grey undreneath the free edge even though she had just washed them ,
I sanitized them loads but they were still dirty ,

I'm used to doing manicures with a hand soak , IHBC mani & pedi

I have been trained with NSI in L&P but was never advised about this ,
are we supposed to remove this dirt ?
thank you geeks :hug:

If it were for a mani then yes I would clean them if for enhancements,well I use tips so have to cut the free edge to fit into the tip groove,this would solve the problem.

If it were a friend I would ask them to give them a good old brush with soap and water, but if it's someone I didn't know it can be tricky.It could be enground dirt,i.e she does a lot of gardening,in which case it's pretty hard to get rid of this dirt.:eek:Good luck:hug:

I have a scrubbing brush next to my handwash by the sink, and when I have my client come in I ask them to 'give their hands a wash and scrub', its not said in a way so that they feel like their nails are dirty!

Try that xxx

Hi it was a teenager and she was with her freinds ,
so I just sanitized them loads and put on the enhancments
I know she could see the dirt too ,

I really wanted to say something in a nice way ,
but all her friends were waiting with her and I didn't want to embarrass her
so I just left it ,
I couldn't even cut it off as it the dirt was stuck under fairly short free edges:hug:

Hi, just say to her next time, can you please follow me to the sink, where we can BOTH wash our hands, to combat spreading any germs/health and saftey regs.

Humour always saves the day ... you don't have to be so worried about saying something.

I'd say something like (with a big smile on my face) " what do you do for recreation to get your nails in this state , love, rock climbing, rugby,"? Go and give them a good scrub!

Yes asking them to scrub it out should be fine, I certainly wouldn't sit there scraping it out with a tool - yeuchhh.

I always ask them to wash first as "tis the season to be sneezin" and I dont want my girls to catch a cold as they catch enough from school. I smilingly explain that even when we're not ill, we touch many surfaces that other people have touched and we've no idea what we may have picked up at the store or whatever....
They understand perfectly, and certainly don't want to see my girl's sneezing either.
I also explain that they don't want any dirt under their nails to be caught and 'capped' by the gel and stuck there until the next appointment.
That usually has them scrubbing vigorously.

And while I know it's a bit controversial - I adamantly refuse to perform another person's personal hygiene. I don't know where those hands have been (in the garden with the kitty poop?) and someone else's dirt belongs to them. My own personal view. While I do clean out nails that I "do", I draw the line at "digging out their dirt" and there's most certainly a distinct line.
People don't go see their gyno without having a shower/bath first. I expect the same consideration/courtesy to be shown to me.

What STILL astounds me are the odd clients that ask "what's a nail brush?" or "how do you use a nail brush?":eek:
Those are the ones that make me go 'ewwww' inside LOL

At the moment I'm at college doing an NQ unit in nail care and we're learning manicure. One of the steps that we have to do involves dipping an orange stick wrapped in cotton wool into some cuticle remover and rolling this under the free edge of the nail. After using a hoof stick to gently push back the cuticle we have to use the other end of the hoof stick to scrape out the cuticle remover from under the free edge. The tutor says this flushes out any dirt under the nail and helps to get rid of stains.

Hiya, After soaking and cuticle work, I advise my students to dress an orange stick and clean under the free edge. But if its gardening stains, horse grease or hair dye very difficult to get rid of. Advise them to wear gloves when gardening.

Hiya, After soaking and cuticle work, I advise my students to dress an orange stick and clean under the free edge. But if its gardening stains, horse grease or hair dye very difficult to get rid of. Advise them to wear gloves when gardening.

I am a keen gardener, and even wearing gloves I can get dirt under my nails.
That is until a geek gave me this tip.......now I scrape my nails on a bar of soap before I head into the garden. The soap plugs up under my free edge stopping dirt getting in there. Then after I am done I wash my hands and the soap washes away with all the dirt.

Good tip to pass on to your gardening clients.

Do you know ... life is like dropping a pebble in the lake and watching how the ripples spead out for miles. :lol: I gave this trick to all my clients and students 20 years ago! after watching my husband do it!!

They must've been passing it on. Now I do feel old. By the way, it works a treat.

Do you know ... life is like dropping a pebble in the lake and watching how the ripples spead out for miles. :lol: I gave this trick to all my clients and students 20 years ago! after watching my husband do it!!

They must've been passing it on. Now I do feel old. By the way, it works a treat.

:lol::lol: You old:eek: Gigi, you are like me, well seasoned:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back