Very new to this site and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenlou80

Reaction score
Hi all

I am a stay at home mum of two girls and now my eldest is starting full time school in september and my youngest doing a few days in nursery I thought it was about time i got off my bum and did something for myself. Ive never been career minded if im honest and have had alot of cleaning jobs.

I have been out of work for sometime being put off sick from work with servere anixety and depression back in 2006 and then got a part time job in 2008 with the help of my mental health team that have supported me and then i fell pregnant with my 1st child had her and never went back, My anixety and depression are now controlled with medication but i feel its time for me too get out of the house and learn something new to help my self confidence aswell.

Well enough of me waffling on, As i am on certain benefits i am able to have the course fee and exam fee wavied on a VTCT Certificate in Nail Treatments Level 2 (Maincure & Pedicure) at my local college so i am enrolling in the part time course 4th sept course starts 12th sept for 20 weeks 1 day a week in the evening.

I would ideally like to go further so what would people with experience suggest i go for next? Gel's? Acrylic's?? there is so much to choose from and also some advice on finding a job/going into business once i have completed different courses. I also have a VTCT Body Massage Certificate that I have never used only on family/friends for free.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and i look forward to making some new friends and posting more often.

Regards
Helen xxx

I don't think anyone can tell you which way to go :) but whatever you choose good luck with it! X

Hi Helen

Welcome to SG.
I think it is great that you are focusing on a career for yourself. I think it will do you good to do something you enjoy...and I am sure you will. I did Beauty Therapy 15 years ago. It was a 2 year course and covered everything in the beauty industry. I found once, I finished I didn't enjoy it so much. I had a 3 year old son at the time and didn't do much with my qualifications. I then went on to have two more children, and found it harder and harder to do something for myself.

The one thing I found I did enjoy when I did beauty was Nails. So 10 months ago when my youngest started school, I did Gels course. I started working for myself at home and mobile and I love it!!! I then did my conversion for CND Brisa. Later on, I may go into doing Acrylics aswell. But atm I am enjoying what I am doing. I too suffered from depression, so I know how hard things can be. I say good on you for looking forward and doing something for yourself. Go for it. Do as much as you can. There is nothing stopping you doing both Gels and Acrylics in the future :)

Hi and welcome, what a lovely heartfelt honest post x I think you are going about it the right way doing one thing at a time, I'm qualified in nail technology but have managed to carve out my own little business with just natural nails which has surprised me as I had assumed I would need the extensions course. I use gelish which works well for me but I would suggest when you have finished your course head to one of the trade shows and test them all for yourself there is so much out there. Also my business got going through the mums in the playground, maybe put yourself Forward for Xmas and summer fayres?

Good luck honey xxx

Hiya

I am new here too, I only started my business a month or so ago and only do natural and shellac nails. So far so good!

I say go for it, I am in a similar position, I have an 11 month old and started back to my part time office job on Thursday so I'm really glad I have trained in nails so hopefully I can leave and concentrate on nails because I love it!

Good luck, keep me posted
x

Welcome. I'm the same as you, my youngest just started nursery in Easter and my oldest has just started school 2 weeks ago. I did my training a year and a half ago and only work evenings from home. But I now have 2.5 hours a day to myself so can do the odd day appointment. I love doing nails and find having this little job on the side a great way to make me feel proud of myself. Well done you and all that you have done so far, take it step by step and you will get there. Hope you are proud of yourself xxx :hug:

Hi and welcome. Well done for deciding on something for yourself not always easy when you have little ones. My children will both be at school in sept and I am so glad I have something for me now as I have also had medical issues. Good luck in your new path :)

Thanks for all your replies and support will hope to post alot more esp now i have found the salongeek app lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Welcome hun.. so many great professionals on here that give great advice.

I too suffered with depression (PND) and getting into nails has helped me lots, I trained in early June in natural nail care, SOG's and kooky wraps. I love it and when my girls get bigger (they are 1 and 3) and I get some well deserved me time I will crack on and do an enhancement course :)

Enjoy xx

Latest posts

Back