very oily nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
I have a client who has the oiliest nails ever and having a nightmare! I dehydrate the nail and apply bonder (i'm an Ibd gel user) I have tried natural nail primer which still isn't making much difference. Do you think it would be ok to try a primer used for acrylics? I know it is stronger as it is methacrylic acid or whatever its called. Just wasn't sure if that would be ok to use with gel any advise would be great as i haven't had this problem before. L x :irked:

This thread might help a bit... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/17753-who-has-all-these-oily-nails.html

I wouldn't use a primer that isn't intended to be used with your gel system, it's always best to use the recommended products as they've been designed to work together and therefore achieve optimum results.

Have you asked your IBD educator for advice on this re which products to use?

hth's

The thread may well help, there aren't many folk with nail beds all that oily.

That said, there are a few around, I've been doing nails 4 years and come across one or two.

My tips would be use everything recommended for your system, be scrupulous about your prep, if you think her nailplates could replenish their natural oils in the time it takes you to do a few nails, then try prepping then applying each nail one by one. This will also keep her fingers off the prepped ones, some clients have a habit of rubbing the pads of their fingers sneakily across what you've just prepped, ruining your good work and leaving oils from their own fingers on the nailplates. That could be the problem. I've got a couple of clients who kinda fold their fingers in against their faces and I've found foundation on the prepped nails and had to prep again, some stick 'em in their hair :rolleyes: , you've got to watch those clients you can't trust 'em lol. I always tell them and most listen and sit still but some :rolleyes: Something like that could be your problem maybe.

hth x

some clients have a habit of rubbing the pads of their fingers sneakily across what you've just prepped, ruining your good work and leaving oils from their own fingers on the nailplates. That could be the problem. I've got a couple of clients who kinda fold their fingers in against their faces and I've found foundation on the prepped nails and had to prep again, some stick 'em in their hair :rolleyes: , you've got to watch those clients you can't trust 'em lol. I always tell them and most listen and sit still but some :rolleyes: Something like that could be your problem maybe.

hth x

This drives me NUTS!!!

Why do you think the client has oily nails?

Where are they lifting?

If it's all around the cuticle, I bet it's your prep.

Go check out the tutorial on Proper Prep technique- it might help...

:)

I am obsessive about my prepping but nothing so far seems to dry them out enough i always make sure my clients rest the hand i'm not working on a rest so i know its not that they are touching nails etc. I have spoke to my trainer and she says the same thing about prepping etc. I have done lots of sets including clients with oily nails but not come across this before so i am at a loose end. So i am wondering whether trying this primer would work i'm determined to find something!! Oh btw the nail lifts off around the cuticle and sides of the nails and i don't get gel on the skin and no other client has this problem. Any other ideas guys? L x

Lisa, you have to remember that not everyone is suited to enhancements, maybe this client is one of the few who can't wear enhancements, that won't stop her having manicures instead :hug:

She could very well be one of the rare ones who does have oily plates, I had one yesterday, and her skin gave it away before I even saw her nails, very oily facial skin, and sure enough when we got to prep and I Scrubfreshed her nails you could sit there and watch over the next 3 minutes as her nails went from a lovely chalky white to oil slick central.. you could litterally SEE it comming back up.... so we went the nail fresh route... S/F - NailFresh - S/F ... she got double prep'ed then each finger was again S/Fed before application..... they do exist.

Thanks x I think i might tell her to have a manicure instead! I'm just on a mission to find a solution Lol :green:

I'm just on a mission to find a solution Lol :green:
Sometimes there isn't a solution sweetie and we have to accept it, as does the client :hug:

Latest posts

Back