Vinlux with Shellac top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracymileham

Reaction score
I have just done a manicure with vynlux and top coat with shellac wiped with clarify and it just came away from the nail x what am I doing wrong

vinylux is a polish and shellac is a uv cured polish. you aren't meant to mix systems but there is a way to incorporate them together however it is not an official method and is advanced and precise technique that needs practise before doing on clients. (see this thread : http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/238639-shellac-over-new-cnd-polish.html)

As to what went wrong for you this time, it's hard to say as you need to give us the full details of what steps, products used, lamp timings (you are using the CND lamp?..) you state you used clarify? I've no idea what that is? Is it IPA?

better get my prescription checked - as you were the OP in the thread I just linked you to!! 'doh!

Take us through the steps you did and we can try and spot where you differed from DivinebyDesigns method... I would guess you did not allow the vinylux to dry fully, or else you didn't leave enough of a margin for the shellac top coat to bind to the underneath colour coat - assuming all is well with your lamp etc..

If you are having difficultly with the technique why not just do a complete shellac or brisa lite service and paint vinylux over the top. It lasts really well over enhancements. That is the way CND recommends.

All the same prep scrub fresh 2 coats of vynlux and hover top coat shellac as shown

you are not giving us much to go on here!! all the same as what? go through and list all the steps you took. some more questions for you:

did you do shellac application including base coat, cure + 1 colour coat, cure?
did you wipe with dsperse (IPA) the colour coat before applying vinylux?
did you leave a border of shellac visible?
how long did you let the vinylux dry?
did you do two top coats of shellac?
are you using CND lamp, did you check your bulbs life?
what is this clarify stuff? is it just IPA?
when you say it is coming away from the nail do you mean the top coat or the whole lot? do you mean it came away straight away?

argh, so want to help you but so frustrating you are giving me no details!!! we can't tell you what went wrong hun as you aren't telling us what you did!

as stated above and by divinebydesign, vinylux can be encapsulated in shellac. So doing 2 coats of vinylux and shellac top coat will not work.

You need to pep, shellac base coat cure, 1 color coat cure, remove tacky layer, then apply vinylux leaving a super thin margin (which will allow the Shellac top coat to encapsulate vinylux in the shellac) allow vinylux to dry then apply Shellac top coat.

From your short and sweet explanation it seems you just applied vinylux then shellac topcoat. I apologise if I've misread x

Can I ask maybe a silly question.. But why would you apply vinylux with shellac?

the only reason really I can think is for a colour that isn't available in Shellac... the example by Design by Divine uses custom blended Vinylux colours (you can mix Vinylux unlike Shellac).

Latest posts

Back