Vinylux not living up to hype, in my opinion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c bare sticks

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I have tried out vinylux on 2 of my close friends and they both said it chipped off within a day or 2. I have always been a massive fan of shellac myself . . .as are my clients but sometimes people like something they can remove at home but i will be rather worried about claiming this polish can last a week when they have advised me it didn't and they wouldn't have it again as they will stick to shellac in future :-( disappointed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Vinylux can last up to 7 days. There is no guarantee it will last for all 7 as it is all up to your clients, how they treat their nails and in what condition they are.

Regular nail polish never lasted on my nails, it would chip and crack on the 1st day. But I have tried Vinylux and it lasted all 7 days, not a single chip. I was very surprised. I would probably go longer but just wanted to change the colour.

I still prefer shellac for my own nails but for people that are used wearing regular polish and have healthy nails Vinylux is a god sent.

Try it on more different people and yourself and see how it works on others.

Have you tried it on yourself? I find the only reliable guinea pigs are ourselves as we KNOW what we do with our hands/nails.

I've worn it successfully w/o chipping for 6 days.

Yes i have tried on myself but the trouble is i do so many nails that end up taking it off slightly with the use of products such as acetone so it's hard for me to tell

Sorry to hear you did not get the results you were expecting. So far I have found Vinylux over performing in most cases with a handfull of people (those who have challenged natural nails) needing to freshen it up at home before the 7 day mark.

they wouldn't have it again as they will stick to shellac in future
If a client is already getting great results with CND Shellac they are very unlikely to be impressed with the performance of Vinylux. They have been used to the superior wear and the fact they are able to do more with their fingers without causing chipping/breakdown of the colour.

Put Vinylux on clients who are wearing polish right now, and don't poach from your existing CND Shellac clients.

On the bright side, at least these two clients have affirmed their love for CND Shellac! :)

Where can a non nail tech buy it for use in themselves? X

Yes i see what you are saying. Agree with the fact that if you are a shellac lover that not a lot else is going to compare. Need to find myself a healthy nail model to give it a go.

Mine lasted about a day and a half before chipping which is good for me. My nails are such a mess. If I used another polish I wouldn't get a day out of it but this would be good for me for a wedding or something. I'm just going to say to people it's harder wearing than other polishes. I can actually feel its stronger on my nails. I don't even get a week out of shellac or gelish etc.

Where can a non nail tech buy it for use in themselves? X

If you look on here and type in your postcode (click Vinylux before you put your post code in ) it will bring up your nearest Vinylux salon - maybe call to see if they have stock x
Salon Finder

I think it's as good as the nails it goes on and the person wearing it. Use the term UP to seven days and really emphasise aftercare to help clients get the most. Also be realistic with people with challenged nails.

Someone might only get 3 days but that's not a fail as this person may usually only get 6 hours out of standard polish so that would be a success. One of my friends got 5 days and thinks its the best thing ever as she used to only get a day before. It's all about managing expectations.

I have two clients with relatively healthy nails (no peelies) that wanted to do a quick polish change bc they needed to extend their Shellac service to 3 weeks. So they opted for a traditional polish to get them by. Both came back a full week later with zero chips after using Vinylux. Neither has ever been able to keep a traditional polish on longer then 3 days. No freshen ups, and both are big typers (they work in the court system one being a court reporter). Vinylux was actually quite difficult to take off. Had to do some scrubbing with the remover.

That being said, I have one client who's nails peel so bad that her Shellac chips after about 10 days. So we usually do a weekly manicure so she doesn't peel it off. I noticed when using Vinylux on her, the polish lasted the same as usual... About 5 days.

So I guess what I'm saying is (just as was already stated) the length of time you get out of a product depends on the condition of your clients nails. If they do not have any nail health issues, check your application. But don't blame the product.

I can't wait on the rest of my colors!!!!

If you look on here and type in your postcode (click Vinylux before you put your post code in ) it will bring up your nearest Vinylux salon - maybe call to see if they have stock x
Salon Finder

Thank you x

Mine has lasted 3 days without a chip, the same as other nail polish on myself. However I like the fast drying time, the shine and no base coat. My mum's usually chips within a day and she got a week out of hers I think. Also I think it's because at the minute I have eczema on my hands and I keep picking at it...therefore chipping the polish

Hi geeks. I have tried out vinylux on 2 of my close friends and they both said it chipped off within a day or 2. I have always been a massive fan of shellac myself . . .as are my clients but sometimes people like something they can remove at home but i will be rather worried about claiming this polish can last a week when they have advised me it didn't and they wouldn't have it again as they will stick to shellac in future :-( disappointed.

I hear you. On everyone CND tested, Vinylux lasted 7 days + on 80% of the testers. That leaves 20% where it didn't last. However, those 20% did get 4 days + wear which on fingers - is longer than the average 2/3 day wear of most polish out there. I don't know what your girlfriends did (if anything), I don't know if you ScrubFreshed before application (hopefully yes)... but like anything we use, it wont be perfect on all...

Vinylux is for those that want to change it up and not have something that lasts 14 days... hence the great retailing ops for Shellac users. Also the better the nails - the better it stays and lasts!

I was just with every major beauty director in London last week - these girls WILL write about it if it isn't right and so far - not one bad comment - the opposite in fact and the amount of call ins has been insane. That's not to say someone won't have something negative to say but so far so good.

Just wanting you to hear the other side... IMHO girlfriends are often the worst testers because they don't have to worry about paying for them so they don't look after them as well. Try again on a real client and stop worrying about counting the days. V is about polish that defies time and it most definitely IS doing that in the majority of cases.

Hope this helps! :hug:

Thank you for your reply. One of my girlfriends paid full price for it, she is not a shellac user but does wear regular polish but unfortunately she messaged to say it didn't last any longer than her regular polish. Yes always always scrub fresh! Application quick and trouble free. . Been painting for years.

Further to the recommendations given, i have 2 paying customers coming in later in week who claim to have strong healthy nails and wish to try it. . .fingers crossed they will do better with it!

I had lots of healthy nailed VINYLUX clients yesterday . .fingers crossed they can get longer out of it. The quick drying time is great!

While I do hope that a lot of my clients will get longer than a regular varnish out of Vinylux, I do try and remind myself of a couple of thing.

1. It's actually cheaper to buy than a regular varnish
2. It doesn't need a base coat
3. It dries mega fast
4. Chances are it will last longer than a regular varnish.

So when I add all these things up, if most people get a day or two from a regular varnish, chances are they'll get longer out of Vinylux, but if they don't, nothing's lost - just be careful not to over hype it!

I am a committed Shellac wearer with Brisa Lite Smoothing gel underneath it for a bit more strength, as my nails are weak.

I decided to trial Vinylux to see what it was like in comparison to the Shellac because I quite like the concept of being able to change the colour more often than I do with Shellac. I have to say that so far I'm really impressed with the way it has lasted on my own nails. Admittedly, I'm using it over the Smoothing Gel, but last week, my Lobster Roll was still chip free after 5 days. I did refresh the top coat midweek, as I'm not at all careful with my nails and use cleaning products etc with no gloves so I get scratches in the topcoat quite quickly.

I found it chipped faster on my toenails - which DIDN'T have Brisa Lite underneath them, so perhaps it's the Brisa explaining the good performance I'm getting on my fingers.

I am a committed Shellac wearer with Brisa Lite Smoothing gel underneath it for a bit more strength, as my nails are weak.

I decided to trial Vinylux to see what it was like in comparison to the Shellac because I quite like the concept of being able to change the colour more often than I do with Shellac. I have to say that so far I'm really impressed with the way it has lasted on my own nails. Admittedly, I'm using it over the Smoothing Gel, but last week, my Lobster Roll was still chip free after 5 days. I did refresh the top coat midweek, as I'm not at all careful with my nails and use cleaning products etc with no gloves so I get scratches in the topcoat quite quickly.

I found it chipped faster on my toenails - which DIDN'T have Brisa Lite underneath them, so perhaps it's the Brisa explaining the good performance I'm getting on my fingers.

I think brisa is something I would like to try next! I see a lot of people use that on here. I have VINYLUX on my toes and so far so good! It's been about 4 days now.

I have a lady professional gardener who's really quite hard on her hands despite wearing gloves.
Shellac doesn't really last on her, but brisa lite smoothing gel with shellac over the top lasts over 3 weeks on her! And now that we've got VINYLUX she feels much more relaxed about it because she can touch up when necessary. So far it hasn't been needed but she loves the fact that she's got it if she does.

Latest posts

Back