Vinylux top coat going matte

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophs999

Reaction score
So I'm on the first day of holiday in Greece and my Vinylux has gone matt..? This happened the last time I've been on holiday but not prior to that. Any ideas? Formula change in topcoat? Nails look horrible and matt now... [emoji30]. Index finger has a bit of shine left but rest are matt.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1462728089.012651.jpg

Last edited:
Sun lotion or mozzie repellent?

Well I can only assume it's the lotion as I don't use mozzie spray. But it didn't happen last year which is what's confusing me!

Are you using the same lotion sophs999? I know that my shellac usually dulls on holidays but this time it didn't (not that i am complaining!) and i used the same brand of lotion so I can only think that it didn't get on my nails as much?! Who knows!

It does sound like something to do with your lotion as you would be applying that. Sunscreens have ingredients in them that react with how polishes work.

Maybe one of the more experienced members might have other ideas??

Is it a spray suntan lotion? They are alcohol based, so will start to breakdown your topcoat. Check it's not got Deet in it, that's the insect repellent that affects nail polish and gel polish

Recently my polish melted in the heat had a load of sand stuck onto my toes when I came back from the beach - It was over 30 degrees. So Maybe its the heat!

Whilst on this subject, is there a particular brand that won't effect my nails on holiday, I have this issue every year!

Ahh so it may be the spray sun lotion then...

Emily, I use Calgel UV topcoat on clients who r going away as it helps to stop colour fade etc. I shud have put that on top of Vinylux topcoat. X

Emily, I use Calgel UV topcoat on clients who r going away as it helps to stop colour fade etc. I shud have put that on top of Vinylux topcoat. X

This wont work as normal polish never fully dries, the solvents need to evaporate so the UV top coat will probably just peel off as the topcoat underneath will be too unstable.

Sorry I mean over colour gel I use UV topcoat, it works really well against fading. X

I've found the the abrasive nature of sand to be the cause of dulling polish. I've never seen this on a holiday that was by a pool only
Edited to add - I have found this with both regular and Gel polishes

Latest posts

Back