Vinylux vs other polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone wants matching they can have gel on fingers and toes. Tbh I don't see many people wanting matching nowadays as it's quite dated.
Use the OPI which you know is going to look great every time.
Really? I find majority now go for matching fingers & toes because I have the matching color. Before they had to make do with nearest color in another brand. I used OPI before Vinylux & I don't find it wears as well & it dries nowhere near as quick as Vinylux.
OPI have a great color range though & they are good quality.

I used to use OPI in the salon but converted completely over the Vinylux as soon as i tried it :)

There is no denying that Vinylux Top coats go thick quite quickly, It a super fast drying top coat which means when you paint it on the nail the solvents evaporate rapidly causing it to dry really quickly, but obviously when the bottle is open the solvent are evaporating quickly causing the polish to go thick!

I like to think of it this way, with OPI i had clients drying for 15 -20 mins until nails felt pretty dry but were not completely dry and out of every 4 or 5 manicures i did, I could expect 2 to come back with a smudge (damn car keys and seat belts). With Vinylux I'm kicking them out the door after only 10 mins (i know its 8.5 but i like to give the extra min and half just to be safe haha) , so thats an average saving of at least 10 mins per client (not including redos) and best of all i've never had someone come back with a smudge after using vinylux !

If you work out that you probably get 20 polishes out of a top coat before you have to chuck it, that a saving of 200 mins of your time (and sanity for not repairing smudges! lol) , my wages for over 3 hours is far more than the cost of a top coat so i really don't mind replacing them regularly.

Also clients will love the longevity of the polish, it really is the longest lasting polish i have ever tried, i have one client who gets 2 weeks out of it and only comes back because of regrowth! :O

It will obviously depend on your area, but i find most clients in my area want matching hands and toes and love that they can choose a regular polish on their toes or hands and have a matching shellac application :)

Vinylux is also my number one selling retail item - even more than solar oil and i never though i'd see something overtake solar oil LOL , once clients try one colour they want more, some of my clients have 11 or 12 colours now :)

All that jazz. You get colours with gelish too. Great colours super quick drying time and 7+ days of beautiful high shine nails. Can't recommend it enough!

All that jazz. You get colours with gelish too. Great colours super quick drying time and 7+ days of beautiful high shine nails. Can't recommend it enough!

I love all that jazz! Drys just as fast as vinylux and lasts longer too [emoji4] x

I think its hilarious that people dont mind throwing out half bottles of polish. I paid for the whole bottle so i expect the whole bottle to be able to last.
I prefer OPI the brushes are better, theres a huge variety of colours and they too retail extremely well. ☺

Yes when we first got the Vinylux we found that polish went thick quite quickly, however now we make sure we give the bottle a really good shake prior to use (with a mini paint shaker) & wipe the bottle clean post use (just good practice really) & now have no problems. We get full use from the top coats too, as long as you follow the same principles.
Our clients absolutely love Vinylux & the way it lasts, we sell so much of the stuff, way more than any other polish brand we've ever had! I also have to echo the earlier comments about clients liking matching. I suppose it comes down to the average age of your clients maybe? It's all personal preference but for us we'd not have anything else now.

All of my polishes are clean and looked after. And it's not happened to any other polish brand I own. All that jazz,China glaze, nails inc, opi, Mavala, etc. even high street brands. Some I've had for 3 years and the consistency is still the same as when I bought them. It's annoying and I spent a lot of money investing in it which was wasted [emoji17]

Last edited:
I used to use OPI in the salon but converted completely over the Vinylux as soon as i tried it :)

There is no denying that Vinylux Top coats go thick quite quickly, It a super fast drying top coat which means when you paint it on the nail the solvents evaporate rapidly causing it to dry really quickly, but obviously when the bottle is open the solvent are evaporating quickly causing the polish to go thick!

I like to think of it this way, with OPI i had clients drying for 15 -20 mins until nails felt pretty dry but were not completely dry and out of every 4 or 5 manicures i did, I could expect 2 to come back with a smudge (damn car keys and seat belts). With Vinylux I'm kicking them out the door after only 10 mins (i know its 8.5 but i like to give the extra min and half just to be safe haha) , so thats an average saving of at least 10 mins per client (not including redos) and best of all i've never had someone come back with a smudge after using vinylux !

If you work out that you probably get 20 polishes out of a top coat before you have to chuck it, that a saving of 200 mins of your time (and sanity for not repairing smudges! lol) , my wages for over 3 hours is far more than the cost of a top coat so i really don't mind replacing them regularly.

Also clients will love the longevity of the polish, it really is the longest lasting polish i have ever tried, i have one client who gets 2 weeks out of it and only comes back because of regrowth! :O

It will obviously depend on your area, but i find most clients in my area want matching hands and toes and love that they can choose a regular polish on their toes or hands and have a matching shellac application :)

Vinylux is also my number one selling retail item - even more than solar oil and i never though i'd see something overtake solar oil LOL , once clients try one colour they want more, some of my clients have 11 or 12 colours now :)

I don't not start on someone else because the last client is drying. They can sit in the waiting area. They don't have to just sit at the nail desk.
Also OPI quick dry top coat plus drying drops drys very quickly or seche vite.
I find polish lasts on strong nails and chips on weak whatever the brand. I have clients who get 2 weeks of a basic mani because they have strong nails and do little housework.

no bottle of polish is perfect when you get to the end of it , I should add I always throw away my polishes about the half way mark even when I used OPI.

it's not wasteful its making sure my treatments are always consistent , if the polish has gone thick it will effect application and longevity of the polish

I think it's awful to see someone trying the get the last dregs out of a nail polish by adding thinner. (which also effects longevity) , when polish is so cheap at trade price I would much prefer to just replace the bottle. but that's my personal preference. I would do it for personal use, but when a client is paying good money to have their nails painted there service should always be the best it can be.

When my polish is a couple of months old and goes thick when I've used it for 5 or 6 sets I don't expect to have to throw it out.
I'm sorry but I don't have money to burn

I've never found the colour coats to go thick quickly just the top coats but i guess it depends on your working environments too and how hot and humid they are :)

I never have to throw them away quicker than a regular polish, but i do replace the top coat quite regularly, definitely more than a regular top coat :)

Good polish thinner doesn't affect longevity and is essential imo. It can make any polish brand new again. Why throw it away when thinner exists. Using polish remover in it will ruin it yes but thinner just replaces the solvents which have evaporated.
A bottle of OPI should not usually be think at half through anyway but it depends how long since its last used.

Good polish thinner doesn't affect longevity and is essential imo. It can make any polish brand new again. Why throw it away when thinner exists. Using polish remover in it will ruin it yes but thinner just replaces the solvents which have evaporated.
A bottle of OPI should not usually be think at half through anyway but it depends how long since its last used.

When I called s2 they advised against using a thinner.
I did anyway but had to use it literally everytime I used the polish so I threw it out. It got on my nerves that much.
Don't have a problem now I've invested in all that jazz I prefer it so in a way I'm glad :)

nail polish thinner will affect longevity, there is no way to know the exact amount of solvent that has evaporated and no way to get the polish back to its original formula which is what it will always work best at.

Its a much better practice to just replace the polish.

I know plenty of techs use thinner, but i personally would never use it. It absolutely compromises the polish.

Vinylux shouldn't be used with thinner as its a different formula that uses light cure technology.
But normal nail polish is not compromised by adding thinner. Many polishes are too thick when you buy them. They can have been sitting on the shelf for years you just don't know and thinner gives a more workable consistency which gives a better finish and doesn't compromise the longevity. Use it with a dropper slowly adding single drops then shaking.

Don't care for vinylux either. I only use OPI and artistic gloss.

I've read on here of techs taking 15 mins or more just to remove, so have never considered it as that's far too long for me
You have to use acetone in the same you would use nail polish remover to remove it. If you rub with acetone it comes of in seconds but takes ages with nail polish remover.

I stocked opi and orly for years and rarely sold any. I now use vinylux and sell loads. I don't seem to throw much away but the dry time and retail of them makes them very worthwhile for us.

Vic x

We had vinylux and clients hated it, it was mainly because they struggled to remove it them selves, I also hated removing it too, took ages. I've since been using opi and clients love it, we never sold one vinylux and we are selling loads of opi.

Your best to buy a few bottles and try them out on clients and seeing what they think

Thanks Kezza! So many brands, it's mind boggling!

Latest posts

Back