Virgin Campers - all your best tips please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wet wipes - handy for sticky kids and also a quick freshen up.

I always take my Cool Blue camping - great for when you're cooking and need to sanitise those hands!!!!

If you're camping in this country make sure your sleeping bags are warm enough - on our very first camping trip I ended up with my then 3 year old in my sleeping bag with me 'cos she was so cold!! Even in July/August the temperature can dip quite low at night......

Great thread, but I have a question for the campers out there........What food do you take??/ I would like to take along things to heat rather than cook from scratch....so what to take for 2 kids and 2 bigger kids (LOL) to eat?

Sam XX

freeze a spag bol or chilli or curry - it will help keep your cold bag cold and warm up when needed.

Mozzie spray! I was itching for weeks after our last trip.
We've also got some wind up torches, they're fab as you never need to replace batteries etc.
Try and find a nice site with hot showers, washing up facilities and swimming pools etc. We went to Pentney site near Narborough (Norfolk). Perfect for a day out at Wells Next to Sea with the hooray henries. (You get a fabulous class of tourist at Wells dahling:lol:) It's near Burnham Market which is known as Chelsey on Sea, full of posh sloaney types out at the country estates. Very funny day out, but fab fish and chips.

I returned yesterday from a weekend camping in the Breacon Beacons.I would say make sure you have some kind of blow up/air bed or something to ensure you get a decent nights sleep.Agree with marshmellows too.Also something to toast them on incase there are a lack of twigs!

Food for camping:
bread
butter/peanut butter/jam (spreads...)
hotdogs
sausages
chicken BUT only if you have or know how to make/use a spit (otherwise, it'll be charred and YUKKY or you can double wrap in aluminum foil and do like you do the potatoes)
prepared brochettes, already on a stick
hamburger patties (and a box-grill to hold over the flames to hold them in if you don't have a stove and are doing it over a fire like this:
yhst-52287107803192_1953_560032911
aka "extendable broiler basket")
condiments for burgers and dogs
small potatoes (wrap in foil, and lay in the outer edges of the coals)
fresh fruit and/or dried fruit
granola bars
juices
instant coffee/tea
sugar
milk (or powdered if you haven't a cooler)
eggs
cheese
chips (you call'em crisps I think?)
tinned veggies or fresh (depending on what kind of cooking arrangements you're making)
Tinned meals like soup or stew or pasta

umm and lots of other stuff Im sure.
LOL

Well we're back! Thanks so much for all the detailed replies, I printed them off and was reading them all in bed the night before we went!! (although there have been more replies after we went, but thanks anyway, it all helps)!:hug::hug:

We found a lovely campsite at Lyme Regis, it was really nice, we were in a lush valley and the views of the surrounding hills were fab. Just for the record we saw from our tent: squirrels, a sheep, a mouse in a bush, bats flying round at night, and a shooting star (yep we all made a wish:lol:!

For a first camping experience I don't think we could have done any better. The people running it were really friendly, we had a level pitch not far from the shower block/water, the kids made friends with other kids there, and best of all the sun shone every day (thank goodness because of all things we could have forgotten to take, we forgot to take any coats/macs, not even an umbrella between us!! :o Plenty of fleeces, and tbh most other basic stuff that we needed (and a lot of that we would have forgotten if it hadn't been for all your help on here :hug::hug:)

We are DEFINITELY going again, I was eyeing up what equipment etc other people had. . . I think a trip to the camping shop will be in order before we go again especially for those inflatable mattresses! I borrowed my m-i-l's, it was lovely & comfy at bedtime but by 2am it had totally deflated and my bones were sticking in the ground :irked: - the kids slept on the padded cushions from the garden loungers and hubby bravely said he was ok on the floor but now admits that those inflatable mattresses will make such a big difference!!

Anyways, just thought I'd update, I'm waffling now . . . thanks again all

:) Ahh i know Lyme Regis well, my mum and dad live there! In fact im off down there tomorow! its gorgeous isnt it? Im so glad you enjoyed your first camping experience.

:) Ahh i know Lyme Regis well, my mum and dad live there! In fact im off down there tomorow! its gorgeous isnt it? Im so glad you enjoyed your first camping experience.

Yes, it is a lovely little place isn't it? Your mum and dad are very lucky. (they must also be quite fit, it's hilly isn't it? ) Have a good trip xx

Latest posts

Back