Virgin Campers - all your best tips please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Well guys hubby has talked me into buying a tent (nice one at that), but I am soooo not a camper!! I am so apprehensive but we are going to give it a whirl anyway!!

We have never been camping before, not even as kids, so it's like the blind leading the blind . . . all we have at the mo is the tent. (There's a sleeping compartment for 4 at one end and one for 2 at the other and a bit in the middle) the kids are well excited!

We will probably not have electric hitch up.

What are the things that we must not forget to take? Come on everyone, I'm relying on you here. . . :hug: Thanks xx

extra tent pegs, and keep your guy ropes tight
Torches and extra batteries
Pack of cards, monopoly
Never mind pj's it can get cold at night so track suits are good to have around and good for going to and from the showers
Wind break
Have a go at putting your tent up before you go on holiday and before you take it apart colour code your tent pols, makes it much quicker to put together if you know that the blue ends go together etc
Bucket useful for all sorts of things
Lastly, camp do and don't
do Keep your voices down after dark, you would be amazed how far sound travels and how annoying it is to be kept awake by happy campers when you have turned in wanting an early start:irked:
Do keep your rubbish in bags inside the tent and take to the bins frequently, unless your like creepy crawlys:Scared:
My family love camping and have only just passed the family tent to my bro who has a young family just big enough to start camping:hug: they went for the first time last year, stayed through the gale force winds and had a great time, called me when the wind started to get up I said double peg and teach the kids how to play poker:lol: They did both and the kids won all the match sticks:green:Where are you going? where ever it is I'm sure you'll have a great time:hug:

All as above,

Depends how big your tent is for room, but we always take a clothes holder (you know the kinda thing that has arms that come out that you can hang your ironing on when it has just been done). I use that to hang my clothes up on cos I hate living out of the suitcase.

We always take duvets to go on top of sleeping bags, a really good airbed as it can get uncomfortable.

Plenty of games ie. cards, domino's.

Firstaid kit.

A sealed box to keep your food in as ants tend to get everywhere !.

Washing up bowl/washing up liquid etc.

This year we bought my daughter a walkie talkie (bratz one) its distance is up to two miles (i know I couldn't believe it either), she is only 8 but on a campsite they like some freedom. This way she could wander down to the park (out of our eyeline but still very near) and we could check on her / and her on us. She thought it was fab.

Bikes / scooters are also fab on campsites as kids love to wander about.

Hope all this helps, we love camping.

Hello there:)

Is really strange that you should put a thread about this up tonight, as my partner has just talked me into going camping with my son and his 2 kids and at this moment as we speak the kids are sleeping in a tent in the back garden to see if they like it:):)
If they get on ok then I have to go camping:irked:
I was gonna have a try in the back garden myself but decided it was too far away from the kettle and also the tent isnt a brilliant material to spark a fag up in, so I am indoors mate:confused: I thought this holidaying lark was suppose to be fun!!!:confused:

We also take cooking stove/gas bottle, pots & pans, plates, bowls, cutlery, mugs, large bottled water, dustpan & brush, table, chairs, pegs, insect repellent, gas/battery light, coolbox & cool blocks, boots/raincoat:lol:

We've had to get a trailer to fit it all in, but its good fun!

LOVE CAMPING!
fold up chairs, bottle opener and corkscrew and a can opener! If you go to a campsite with a shop they will have most stuff you need there so don't worry if you forget anything but it can be a lot more expensive!

DONT FORGET THE CAN OPENER!!!!
I'm an avid camper.. but we only have swags.. love sleeping under the stars.. one thing ill suggest ((if it hasnt already been)) is a good up to date first aid/survival kit.. might sound funny but you just never know!!
:)
matches
toilet paper
water
bug spray!

TOILET PAPER!!!
LOL don't forget the toilet paper:eek:

And an airmattress is a must if you live/camp somewhere that is a humid/damp climate and you're prone to arthritis like myself. OR at least, a super thick blanket to put under your sleeping bag to cushion the ground.
SPEAKING of which, BEFORE you put up the tent, do not forget to inspect the actual spot you're putting it for rocks and such that are sticking up and may poke you in the back :wink2: and be sure that the ground is level.

Bring:
  • marshmallows (I firmly believe it's NOT camping if there are no marshmallows)
  • Dishes, cutlery, bbq tongs if cooking on the fire
  • tinfoil
  • soap
  • Washing basin (for dishes and yourself)
  • If you have wee ones, a training potty is handy.
  • bug spray
  • rope to use as a clothes to hang dishtowels or other
  • Flashlights AND batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Cups with lids on them to keep the buggies out like travel mugs (nothing worse than taking a sip of coffee or juice to discover you have a floater EWWW)
  • Large collapseable (clear plastic) water container. You learn really fast how often you really use water and what a pain in the butt it is to go walking for it.
  • Small change (if where you're going charges you money to use the showers)

Ummm lots more I'm sure, but I'm too tired to think right now LOL

We bought a tent a few years ago and I was nervous, as I do like my comforts and tbh when you look at the stuff available in the camping shops, wow, there is every kind of accessory you could dream of, so... I have to make myself consider each item with a Martyn Lewis type mantra, 'do I need it, will I use it, can I buy it cheaper elsewhere.'

The thing is with camping, it's meant to be simple! But we can easily make it complicated. Boy, it takes me days to pack all my gear! However, like I said, I like my comforts so I think an air mattress is a must. I also couldn't live without my table and chairs (hate sitting on the ground, I'm too old for that now) and my stove.

Things I have accepted - you get cold and you get dirty. I don't tend to wear make up now on a camping holiday, just get an eyelash tint before I go and maybe use some tinted spf moisturiser. Hair does not get washed much and I might keep the same clothes on for a few days. It's not like you see anyone you know!

We camped at summer half term this year and it poured with rain, but my daughter and niece had a fab time. They were like drowned rats and covered with mud, but their happy little faces, I will never forget!

All as above,

Depends how big your tent is for room, but we always take a clothes holder (you know the kinda thing that has arms that come out that you can hang your ironing on when it has just been done). I use that to hang my clothes up on cos I hate living out of the suitcase.

I have one of these too, I tend to hang wet stuff on it, esp coats :)

They sell them in Lakeland - Hangaway - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

Although I got mine in John Lewis

If you have a male dog keep the damn thing on a leash..they love to pee over other campers tents..next one that does it to us will go yelping back to its owners:irked:
Otherwise great advice from other nice geeks:)

Definately have a practice at puting your new tent up, especially if it's a big one! And if you find a way of getting it back in it's original bag, please let me know!

Great thread, but I have a question for the campers out there........What food do you take??/ I would like to take along things to heat rather than cook from scratch....so what to take for 2 kids and 2 bigger kids (LOL) to eat?

Sam XX

hair straightners lol, you can buy the ones that plug into your ciggarette lighter in the car, wouldnt be without mine:lol:

LOTS OF ALCOHOL !
No seriously you will love it, we have just bought a new big one! we love camping. But, you do have to just forget about your hair straighteners and your nail oil! just take a baseball cap and do a new set of nails when you get home!

NJOY IT !:)

sorry

have to disagree lol straightners are a must:Grope:

Wow, thank you so much for all your replies! There are plenty of things here that I would never have thought about!

Any more comments very welcome

(btw it will be me & him, 2 girls 10 & 8, no pets as my mum is having the guinea pigs and the rabbit - we are going to find somewhere on the Dorset/Devon border poss. Sidmouth/Seaton/Lyme Regis area . . . thanks again peeps :hug::hug:)

We just got back from a weekend camping. We always camp when we go to music festivals so its a matter of what we can carry with us. We have managed to get it down to the bare minimum now but the most important things to remember are your toiletries (loo roll, toothbrush/paste, baby wipes etc) and an airbed, preferably with electric pump but the foot pumps give you a good workout, with your own pillow and plenty of blankets (layers generally work better than duvets, plus you can throw some off in the morning when it warms up). As long as you remember to wrap up at night & raise youself off the floor you'll be fine. One year I was sleeping on a normal roll mat & we had a ground frost overnight, it got into my back & shoulder and I couldn't move it properly for ages. Now we have a nice big double airbed and stacks of blankets!

Also if you have room, a gas stove (plus your plates, pans, cutlery, etc), camping chairs and a folding table to eat at and play games at are great. Camping can get uncomfortable if you don't plan properly but its great fun when you do. I'd like to go camping more often but with 2 parrots & a cat, its hard to find people to pet-sit more regular!

I tend to make sure I remember the big things but stuff like food, etc I usually buy there because we don't have the room to carry it all. It'd be handy to take with you, but generally not essential. Wherever you go there will be a shop either on the site or nearby so you can buy whatever you forget.

We have just got back from 2 weeks in France,camping,we do it every year and love it...when the weather is nice.

Not sure what everyone else has written as dont have time to read it(sorry)

Anyway,nice warm fleece for nightimes as it gets chilly,portaloo for us is a must but a bucket can do.flip flops for the showers to avoid catching any nasties.Torches,electrice hook up is an absolute must for me.I went without one first time and now cant live without it.T towels,pegs for washing,citronella candles for outside the tent,matches,water bottle if you dont have tap next to your tent.Tea bags,coffee and sugar.

I wouldnt keep your rubbish inside the tent in the daytime,hang a bin loner otside or you will get insects in the tent.Take rubbish to camp bins everynight without fail or you will attract insects and wildlife inside the tent.

Washing up bowl,liquid,scourer, dishcloth.Wellies,plenty of socks trousers,even if it says it will be lovely weather.water proof lightweight macs.

Insect repellent and after bite for mozzis,tweezers,scissors washing accesories.

Crockery,knives and forks,cooler box is another must for us.Washing line to tie round tree.Sharp knives for cutting.Can opener,cork screw,blow up beds,air bed pump(we use one that plugs into the car lighter adapter)picnic table,gas stove,gas and a stand,good to have windbreakers as well as if wind gets up it's hard to cook on the stove.Fold up chairs,games to play if it rains.

Sun cream,hats,brolly,ball games,paracetamol,calpol,antiseptic,plasters etc,I always take cooked breakest foods for first morning plus milk so I dont have to shop as soon as we arrive.Havn't listed everything but HTH a bit.Have a lovely time and hope the weather is super for you.:hug:

Latest posts

Back