Vital statistics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Now that I offer a wide variety of treatments I thought that I would do a breakdown of how much I am earning per treatment as a percentage, it was pretty interesting (%ages are rounded to nearest whole number)...

Gel nails - 31%
Pedicures - 26%
Retail - 17%
Waxing & eye treatments - 13%
Acadayspa body treatments - 7%
Manicures - 4%
Nimue facials - 2%
Spray tanning - 1%
Academie facials - a big fat zero!

Then I looked back to July when I started (takings wre less than half of August's btw)...
Waxing / eyes - 33%
Pedicures - 16%
Spray tans - 13%
Gel nails - 12%
Manicures - 11%
Academie facials - 8%
Nimue facials - 4%
Retail - 1.6%
Acadayspa - not offered

I'll be doing this each month so I can see if there is a seasonal trend and obviously my weaker areas I will need to market more. I was glad to see retail moving up the chart, but with the good weather I guess that's why waxing and pedicures are doing so well. I'm wanting to really push the facials more and with the tourists going and the regulars returning, this is where I'll be focussing my marketing and advertising for the next couple of months.

Just wondered if you found this interesting and if anyone did anything similar?

I thought it was interesting...

What a great idea Sassy! In any industry, knowing the market trends and using this to maximise business potential is key. I'm finally getting to the point where i'll actually open my business and market it, and i will definately be doing this!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

what a fab idea ! dont know though if i can be assed to try convert it into % , lol i am dead lazy :lol: might have a bash though
did you do it with taking the amount out that you spent on products ? or am i on the wrong track here ?
didnt go to bed till 3 so am shattered :irked:

Well it should show you how popular pedicures are over here, so get over your fear of feet!

you are so right...interesting to see pedicures have been in second place each month...

anyone know a good hypnotherapist?????

I do actually think it was very interesting to see how you can compare each month... it will definitely tell you what the trend is for each month and what you need to promote more...
I'm wondering if pedicures are as popular in the colder months though? Maybe I could just offer pedicures during Nov - Apr....lol...

I keep a % breakdown of treatment as well. Mine reads:

Full sets - 21%
Rebalance - 52%
Repairs - 6%
Soak Off - 2%
Manicure - 7%
File & Polish - 3%
Gel toes - 1%
Retail - 8%

This is overall since I started and is number of treatments rather than % of income..... A monthly breakdown would be good.... I keep so many stats on my business - just because I can really!!! It is good to know though.....

I think that this is a fantastic idea, and would love to work mine out. Being of the rather dim, blonde variety, (and an ex bank manager, lol) I was wondering how you worked it out!??:rolleyes::confused: Now I am assuming total income for week/month calculated, then the individual treatment totals calculated, then this as a percentage of overall monthly takings. (god iv confused myself):) Is this right?

Great information Sass.

I am having a blonde moment and wondered if it was the profit you are making on top of the treatment cost per treatment or the % that that particular treatment is of your business that particular month.

If it is the % of your total treatments for that month then I think it is fantastic information which will be a great use in future months/years analysis.

It is one of those things that I was going to analise when I had a quiet period which i think by the looks of it is going to be September so thanks for the nudge in the right direction. When I have worked the info out I will update on your thread if that is OK and we can compare.

Edit to add: I was also going to analise what % of my takings each treatment represented and see how this compared to the above analysis.

i am glad everyone else asked the same question, lol

I just tried to keep it simple. I have a book that I have divided into columns for each treatment, then at the end of each day I log how much I have taken for each treatment. At the end of each month I add up the totals for all treatments, and the totals for each column. Divide the column by the total income for month, times it by 100 and you get the percentage.

For example - total takings for month 200 euros. taking for pedis is 50 euros. 50/200 x100 = 25%

This is obviously based on gross profit and not net ... but it really does highlight a trend of where you are taking most money and where you aren't.

You could do the same for number of clients for each treatment ... but for me it's the money through the till that counts! ie I could have 10 clients for eyebrow waxes at 60euros, and take the same amount with one facial!

It's also funny because all i seem to do is blinking pedicures and feel that I do hardly any gel nails, and yet in reality that's not the case! It also shows that if treatments are seasonal then I would be mad to do a special offer for pedicures at a time when people would have them anyway.

that makes it a lot clearer , thanks hun x

what has everyone got against blondes :eek:

I am having a highlighted blonde moment....so number of clients doesn't come into it?

what has everyone got against blondes :eek:

I am having a highlighted blonde moment....so number of clients doesn't come into it?

Nope, like I say that's not important to me, it's how much people actually spend. I really want more facial clients as the profit margin is greater than nails, plus the retail potential is also higher ... and I enjoy doing them! I know this all may make me sound like a money grabber .. but I'm in business and doing this makes business sense.

Nope, like I say that's not important to me, it's how much people actually spend. I really want more facial clients as the profit margin is greater than nails, plus the retail potential is also higher ... and I enjoy doing them! I know this all may make me sound like a money grabber .. but I'm in business and doing this makes business sense.

You don't sound like a money grabber...business woman yes...
It actually makes great business sense...and yes stupidly I realise now you did say it wasn't to do with number of clients...
:smack:

hey just to say i had a bash and it really is quite interesting i went back to april to see which were best out of all the m0onths and june was my best one for all round treatments (ie i did something of everything that month ), thanks sassy xxx:hug:

doing this each month is great when it comes to planning promotions for the following year, it helps you to know whens the best time to promote certain treatments

xx

Very interesting and informative thread Sass. This is something I will definitely be looking at doing in the future. Thanks!:)

Latest posts

Back