Vivid colours not holding!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairaffair

Reaction score
Hi all,
I lifted my clients virgin hair to a base 10. I then applied a variety of crazy colours - blue, purple, pink and charcoal grey. I rinsed hair after 1.5 hours with cold water. Colours looked fab dried and styled hair. Client has rinsed with cold water today ....only done colours yesterday! All colours have disappeared and left green strands!!!!
What have I done wrong? what can I do for the colours to last?
I’m gutted as is my client
Thanks
Laura x

Did you use the brand Crazy Colour?

No, salon services own brand x
Have you checked the instructions to see if you followed the guidelines? Some direct dies are supposed to be applied to a level 9 not a 10.
Also check to see if there's a number for a technical help line on or in the packaging. They should be able to help.

Have you checked the instructions to see if you followed the guidelines? Some direct dies are supposed to be applied to a level 9 not a 10.
Also check to see if there's a number for a technical help line on or in the packaging. They should be able to help.
yeah I’ve checked everything and I’ve done everything correctly! So annoying!!!

yeah I’ve checked everything and I’ve done everything correctly! So annoying!!!
Hmmm, did you apply conditioner or anything that might cause a barrier before applying the colours?

No, I used a suplhate free shampoo and nothing else x

Was the hair virgin before being bleached to a 10?
Did you use a porosity equaliser before applying the direct dye? I’m wondering if the hair was too damaged to hold the colour?

Lots of brands produce Direct dye colours but they vary enormously so it’s important to try them out before using them on clients otherwise you risk having to refund the client if they don’t work as expected. I mainly use brands such as joico, manic panic, directions, Mydentity etc. because I’m experienced with these brands and they work well.

When trying a new brand, I’d have tested it on some hair swatches first to check how true to swatch it is and how colour fast they are because I’ve tried several brands that fade far too quickly. Even if the product is faulty, it doesn’t look good on the hairdresser to be using something that they’re not 100% confident is a great product.

The hair lifted perfectly and was not weakened at all. It was smooth root to top with no damage. I have tested the crazy colours on virgin and lifted hair before and the colour takes great as it did yesterday but I’ve never known it to completely lift after 2 cold washes!!!
Thanks for recommending the other products x

Matrix have a range our called so colour cult, they have direct Range and a tone on tone range. The tone on tone is mixed with peroxide and in my experience has a very little fade. If you are using a direct or semi which isn’t mixed with peroxide they dont penetrate into the cuticle meaning they do fade.
Socol cult are also true to swatch on hair that has been lifted this light Xx

Matrix have a range our called so colour cult, they have direct Range and a tone on tone range. The tone on tone is mixed with peroxide and in my experience has a very little fade. If you are using a direct or semi which isn’t mixed with peroxide they dont penetrate into the cuticle meaning they do fade.
Socol cult are also true to swatch on hair that has been lifted this light Xx
thankyou x

What shampoo and conditioner did your client use at home?

Herbal essence!!! I did advise that it needs to be sulphate free x

Herbal essence!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

She hasn’t used shampoo yet, just cold water x

If you’d used one of the colour brands I mentioned above, I’d strongly suspect that she had shampoo-ed it with HE and it’s stripped the colour out.

I certainly don’t believe she just rinsed her hair in cold water, because what would be the point?
If she wanted to dampen it for re-styling, surely she’d have used a spray or comb? Nobody rinses their hair in cold water just to restyle it. :eek:

I honestly think she’s telling porkies BUT as you haven’t used this product before, you really can’t be sure.

Latest posts

Back