Vote for old Salon Geek with a heart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem natural nails is that the ratio is getting less and less, we are getting more media networking less professional forum.

I used to hate it when i was told to blog something I had written, but soon got used to the fact that personal questions, personal opinions, etc was for blogs and professional discussion was for the open forum.

if people did put it just in chit chat then it can be avoided although I do what Angelina does and click Whats new so get the drivel as well as some hidden gems....its having the time and patience to wade through the irrelevant threads to actually find business like threads/comments.

So, as this is in business, do you come to salon geek for business advice and keeping up with whats new in the industry, or do you think it should be a media networking sites for people that just so happen to work in the same profession.

Maybe if people visited BLOGS more and used SEARCH more, then the forums would be less cluttered.

its sad to see this forum being dumbed-down

Fiona, I wouldn't want your job for all the tea in China. I dread to think how much work there is behind the scenes.
And to think you guys do this for the love!
(What you having for your tea?)
;)

I have a feeling that GMG didn't want people to blog it; he wanted a less rigorous approach to it. I seem to recall Fiona (natural nails) mentioning this on a post some time ago.
Does GMG come on anymore?
Haven't seen any of his comments for a long long time.

Fiona, I wouldn't want your job for all the tea in China. I dread to think how much work there is behind the scenes.
And to think you guys do this for the love!
(What you having for your tea?)
;)

Just chicken, since you asked. I am on the Dukan diet so no carbs! LOL

oooof!
You have way more willpower than me!

Does GMG come on anymore?
Haven't seen any of his comments for a long long time.

He does come on and reads and comments if he feels his input is needed.

If there is anything specific you wish to put under his nose then PM him and ask for his input, as we do from time to time.

I am sure you appreciate he is a busy man and trusts his moderator team to deal with things.

the problem natural nails is that the ratio is getting less and less, we are getting more media networking less professional forum.

I used to hate it when i was told to blog something I had written, but soon got used to the fact that personal questions, personal opinions, etc was for blogs and professional discussion was for the open forum.

if people did put it just in chit chat then it can be avoided although I do what Angelina does and click Whats new so get the drivel as well as some hidden gems....its having the time and patience to wade through the irrelevant threads to actually find business like threads/comments.

So, as this is in business, do you come to salon geek for business advice and keeping up with whats new in the industry, or do you think it should be a media networking sites for people that just so happen to work in the same profession.

Maybe if people visited BLOGS more and used SEARCH more, then the forums would be less cluttered.

its sad to see this forum being dumbed-down

I think the main problem here is MOBILE PHONES and the SG App !
Geeks on phones don't use the search as it is too fiddly and they can't access the blogs and they can't edit their posts so can post another 3 times to make the first post make sense :eek:

Also when you have a mobile in your hand it is too easy to type out the thought that just appeared in your head and post it !
All well and good on twitterbook (although I would unfriend you ;) ) but not what this educational professional forum is all about!

Get rid of the phone app I say!

He does come on and reads and comments if he feels his input is needed.

If there is anything specific you wish to put under his nose then PM him and ask for his input, as we do from time to time.

I am sure you appreciate he is a busy man and trusts his moderator team to deal with things.
No, nothing specifically, although his comments in blogs were gems....

I too am a very busy person....hence wishing to cut through the unnecessary....

I think chit chat is for just that. What are you suposed to right about in that fourm. Iv never started a thread in chit chat but enjoy reading some. Its a way to get to know each other more and build friendships.

I dont just go on hear for product help. I come hear to speek to like minded people that i have somthing in comon with. If the title of some thing i dont like then i dont click on it. Simples...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I think the main problem here is MOBILE PHONES and the SG App !
Geeks on phones don't use the search as it is too fiddly and they can't access the blogs and they can't edit their posts so can post another 3 times to make the first post make sense :eek:

Also when you have a mobile in your hand it is too easy to type out the thought that just appeared in your head and post it !
All well and good on twitterbook (although I would unfriend you ;) ) but not what this educational professional forum is all about!

Get rid of the phone app I say!

I wonder if this is what drives the need to use text speak in posts too.

I think the boards become a bit stale when there isn't much new going on in the industry.

With nails, Gel polish has taken a lot of the skill out of nails so noone really needs to know much there.There hasnt been much going on in the skin section either.If you look back things get interesting when something new comes out then people come out and post and there is something to discuss.

Maybe there just isn't much to say anymore that hasn't already been said.Those of us that have been here are just seeing repeats.

Actually if you go back to the very first years of Geek chat threads were sometimes even more personal and banal than they are now.

I do think though that we have all had a lot out of Geek.I definately have, therefore i feel a certain loyalty and duty to always offer support even when things are a bit dull or people are rude and upsetting.

I dont post as often as i used to because im often repeating myself or i know someone will say things better than i can.

I think its such a shame when people get so peed off they disappear completely. We have lost some great knowledgeable characters.If salon geek went it would leave a hole for me i would be very sad so im happy to see it good or bad and there is always some good to be found even if it means reading some old threads to remind us.

I think chit chat is for just that. What are you suposed to right about in that fourm. Iv never started a thread in chit chat but enjoy reading some. Its a way to get to know each other more and build friendships.

I dont just go on hear for product help. I come hear to speek to like minded people that i have somthing in comon with. If the title of some thing i dont like then i dont click on it. Simples...

There's a difference between writing something fun & light hearted for people to join in with & the other kind of chat that sounds like chit but is rather more appropriate!

I like the old way. If I want updates on statuses from fb and twitter I will go have a look.

I vote old way. :)

I think there is more to the forum than just salon talk. I read a post about a girl having trouble with what to were. And it helped me. I like posts about dogs also. I keeps.me coming on when the only pro topics are of some one asking about shellac or lamps or what brand of what to use with out searching. It gets repetative and boring.

I think there is more to the forum than just salon talk. I read a post about a girl having trouble with what to were. And it helped me. I like posts about dogs also. I keeps.me coming on when the only pro topics are of some one asking about shellac or lamps or what brand of what to use with out searching. It gets repetative and boring.

I thought this is what chit chat is about....I'm confused if It's these kind of things that some people don't want to be talked about? What would it be for if not these type of questions?

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

See, I don't want to hear about what someone's had for tea on FB & Twitter either! Lol.

I like to have a laugh and like a bit of banter and to be honest Salon Geek hasn't offended me with it's content at all and I'm quite happy with it. But then any thread that talks about shepards pie, days out to the park, etc, I tend to avoid anyway.

I don't mind getting rid of these inane threads but Salon Geek better not lose it's sense of humour and go too severe and serious as that would put me off going on it.
I think it's a difficult job for the MOD's to maintain to be honest, because they can't win. No ones ever going to be happy.

The only thing that ever made me leave Salon Geek for a few months was when there seemed to be a load of trolls on insulting everyone about a year ago. That's the one thing I can't stand, people wanting to upset people for no reason or trying to get peoples backs up. As long as that doesn't start again I'll be a loyal geeker. :)

Last edited:

See THAT COMMENT should be a BLOG.
It was drummed in to us time and time and time and time again, if its not a question....BLOG IT! Its not fit for the open forum.

I really don't want to read fashion comments on here. If its a blog..fair enough.

I do agree with you, I have noticed a lot of threads about babies, boyfriends, food etc and yes some of them (most) are boring but it is chit chat and if it went back to the days of closing and directing the poster to the blogs then there wouldn't really be any chit chat.

Obviously the site has grown and there are less full time professionals than there used to be (imo). There seems to be more and more people doing a couple of nail/beauty/hair ext courses to earn a bit of cash on the side and I guess maybe they don't take the site as seriously as it used to be. In my eyes salon geek has always been a professional site with a bit of chit chat to get to know people, now it seems that some people join to ask a few questions then go on to use the site mainly for chit chat.

I do think change has to be accepted though. Remember when this site used to be just nail geek ? A few people got upset when it changed to salon geek and then when hair was introduced anyone would think another world war was on the cards !

I do agree with you, I have noticed a lot of threads about babies, boyfriends, food etc and yes some of them (most) are boring but it is chit chat and if it went back to the days of closing and directing the poster to the blogs then there wouldn't really be any chit chat.

Obviously the site has grown and there are less full time professionals than there used to be (imo). There seems to be more and more people doing a couple of nail/beauty/hair ext courses to earn a bit of cash on the side and I guess maybe they don't take the site as seriously as it used to be. In my eyes salon geek has always been a professional site with a bit of chit chat to get to know people, now it seems that some people join to ask a few questions then go on to use the site mainly for chit chat.

I do think change has to be accepted though. Remember when this site used to be just nail geek ? A few people got upset when it changed to salon geek and then when hair was introduced anyone would think another world war was on the cards !

You saying us hair peeps are rowdy?:(

The boards are really tedious at the mo. it really is all amateurs trying to scrounge a few quid to supplement office jobs. They are so ill informed it's almost funny.
Allowing someone with one day of training to mark themselves a "hair pro" made such a mockery that I removed my "hair pro" status.
I actually think there is no point bothering.
Someone who has trained a day is not in the same league as Geeg, Classix etc.

I think Bombini makes some really valid points.

Professionally, I don't see many facial threads I can contribute to. As a newcomer 2 years ago I asked questions; some very naive, others I could have searched for....... I was a bit like an enthusiastic puppy (well, mentally, anyway)

Nowadays, I search. And often find.

I do like humour, in all areas of my life.

I love SG.

I try to embrace change. Change is inevitable. It's not always good, sometimes it's a step backward, but it's essential to avoid stagnation.

Latest posts

Back