Vote for old Salon Geek with a heart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Sick of reading facebook statuses on this forum, this used to be a professional forum, we used it for asking professional advice.

Chit chat was where we let our hair down a little, although that used to be policed well and we kept inane comments to a minimum.

So, if you are like me, and would love salon geek to be more like it used to be ie professional not drivel.......heart this and comment underneath.

If you like the way that salon geek is an extention of facebook/twitter statuses, then you can voice your opionions too of course, after all freedom of speech.

You may be a newbie, and baffled why people are on a professional forum asking what they should have for tea, and that they are in bed, and which brand of baby milk do you use......then this is your opportunity to vote with your heart.

I think we can all get carried away sometimes but on the whole I do agree.

I noticed you hadn't been around for a while and guessing this might be the reason.

I have in the past wanted to say something about some of the threads when they go into overdrive but as they are sometimes popular members it was a bit difficult and probably down to the Mods to keep it on track.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Think before you type springs to mind.

I also agree, especially with Chit Chat forum where some people start some really awkward threads!

I understand, and respect your professional views.
If I contribute to the professional forums I do so, I hope, in an appropriate way.

As to Chit-chat. I think the title says it all; if it's not your scene, don't access it.
I am intelligent, educated and... ahem ..quite mature.
However....I love a bit of banter. I'm not on FB etc. Chit-chat is my down-time.

Perhaps the site has changed. Everything does. Sometimes we want what we had, but evolution is good too.

Just my thoughts. x

The saddest thing is that we will lose some invaluable members (persianista springs to mind), unless common sense prevails.

Hi, I'm relatively new to salon geek and only use the app on my phone and iPad.
What do you mean by 'Facebook status's on salon geek'?
Just curious! :) x

Another one here who agrees with hippy chick.

I used to spend ages on sg but now have a quick glance & am not compelled to answer many threads, mainly because many have already been answered in a similar vein to what I would say.

As for Chit Chat, yes I know it's like the 'coffee break' in the forum but purlease, some of the inane questions asked & threads started that at one time we would have been told to blog. Oh for those days of being told to blog it.....

Hi, I'm relatively new to salon geek and only use the app on my phone and iPad.
What do you mean by 'Facebook status's on salon geek'?
Just curious! :) x

Threads started that read like facebook/twitter statuses.........I don't want to discuss what someone is having for tea, what milk powder they use for weaning or that they are in bed feeling sick........not on a professional forum.

we do have a blog section for people who want to discuss personal things rather than clog up what is a salon discussion forum.

facebook/twitter is about stating what you are doing there and then......and is personal to that person. Friends and family are invited to comment on the fact that the person should infact have the sausage and chips.....all well and good, but is this appropriate and businesslike behaviour for a professional forum?

Yes, I agree. I feel the site is losing it's way a little bit.

I used to enjoy chit chat but avoid it completely now.

Here's my <3..... I can't do iron iPad. I have to admit I don't come on too much any more, mainly when I do, I find an invaluable gem of information but mainly the business posts are about new businesses and the hair posts are about extensions. And chit chat I really only participate in when it's a TPTW sort of post.

I love sg but I don't participate in any thread that doesn't interest me really.

Ps I'm having chicken for dinner ;-)

Yes, I agree. I feel the site is losing it's way a little bit.

I used to enjoy chit chat but avoid it completely now.

So do I in the main!

I have a feeling that GMG didn't want people to blog it; he wanted a less rigorous approach to it. I seem to recall Fiona (natural nails) mentioning this on a post some time ago.

I would heart this but I'm on my app!! :-(
I read a lot more than what I post but I do agree that there are so many threads like you described!
I love the ones with a bit of fun to them that everyone can get involved with but the ones that are moaning about techs charging a tenner for a set of nails are so repetitive,its gonna happen no matter what lol :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I understand, and respect your professional views.
If I contribute to the professional forums I do so, I hope, in an appropriate way.

As to Chit-chat. I think the title says it all; if it's not your scene, don't access it.
I am intelligent, educated and... ahem ..quite mature.
However....I love a bit of banter. I'm not on FB etc. Chit-chat is my down-time.

Perhaps the site has changed. Everything does. Sometimes we want what we had, but evolution is good too.

Just my thoughts. x

I guess chit chat is great in the chit chat section but I presume Ann and others were talking more so when it literally peppers almost every thread.

I agree. I don't come on as much anymore either.
I really don't mind some of the chit chat but lately...........oh boy there has been some bibble babble!
I never go into a specific forum, I just click on 'What's new in the last 24 hours'.
I think chit chat is fine if it's about something topical.
Blogs are better to write about everyday things as the blogs don't appear on google so will keep the main boards more professional for members as well as visitors.

Oh well I suppose we are damned if we do and damned if we dont. I remember all the Little Voice inside says blog it complaints so we relaxed that, but that seems wrong now too.

We do need to have a balance and for every chit chat thread that is posted someone should post a really thought provoking professional thread!

I have a feeling that GMG didn't want people to blog it; he wanted a less rigorous approach to it. I seem to recall Fiona (natural nails) mentioning this on a post some time ago.
I would love to know the salon geek stats if it is being picked up by google for things like "whats for breakfast today"?

I also wonder if the troll , spam , bot attacs have gone up at all scince it got less regemented ,

there is a shout box , and the blog area , i dont think salon geek needs to try to keep up with the social networking sites. i think it was grate as it was :)

Latest posts

Back