VRQ or fast track?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.R

Reaction score
So, after doing a lot of research over the past few months, it looks like these are my only two options.
I'm a qualified hair extension tech but am keen to learn as much as I can about hair.
If I do the vrq,it means college based only,and although the college have their own in house salon, I feel I might be missing out on the opportunity of gaining experience of working on the salon floor and doing many other things,I.e,getting a feel of what it's like, however, the nvq will take 2 years (both level 2 and 3) and is a lot more expensive,but I have the opportunity of starting straight away in a lovely salon 5 minutes away. Right now I'm veering more towards the NVQ and in either case I would definitely be interested in getting myself on further cutting and colouring courses to become more confident, as I plan on offering hairdressing services once I eventually qualify.( Having said that, it will be mainly extensions, would just be nice to have a more in depth knowledge of the hair) At 38 and coming from a nursing background I'm terrified of choosing the wrong course so would gladly welcome advice/thoughts xxx

If you already have a salon willing to take you I would go with that as you may find it leads to some form of employment when you are finished if it has gone well and you could poss. Ask them if you can do hair extensions there too to supplement your income if they don't have anyone already offering that service? Even if they don't keep you on, the work experience you have gained will stand you in good stead for applying elsewhere as you may prefer working in a salon environment to being mobile.

Latest posts

Back