VTCT certificate issue!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jademichaela

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to the site, specifically for this issue!
I qualified in 2010 and left beauty to one side for an office job, now getting back into the industry I have dug out my certificates.
I done 2 years at college and obtained a level 2 and 3 qualification which involved many units to long to list.
My certificates say NVQ LEVEL 3 BEAUTY THERAPY (MASSAGE) and lists maybe 5 units 3 of which are health and safety and business related.
My level 2 certificate has (THREADING).

Does anyone know if this is normal? My employer is asking for evidence of all units obtained. I feel the certificate as it is would be fine if not for (MASSAGE) at the end.
As it reads to my employer, I am only qualified to carry out threading and massage... I have a long list of things I qualified in and its really frustrating!!
I have emailed VTCT about it but wondered if anyone has the same and I'm panicking over nothing.

LONG POST! SORRY!!

You are normally given 2 documents after you graduate from your course which will be from the awarding body (VTCT).
In addition, your college might have provided a college printed certificate as an interim measure until your actual Diploma is available for collection, usually a few months later.

I’m guessing that you have your certificate of Qualification that states the award title such as NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Massage).
The second document will be your Transcript of Results. This normally includes a list of units completed and your unit results either as a pass/merit/distinction or percentage marks etc. This is the document you need to show to your employer.

Having had a quick look at the current VTCT courses, the level 3 qualification can be Nails/Make-up/Spa Therapy or Massage.

see diagram below...

In the meantime you could contact the college where you took your courses and ask to speak to someone working in their alumni/student awards dept. (could be called awards/exams etc.) They should be able to look you up and print off a copy of your results transcript from their computer files on college headed paper. Usually they will make a nominal charge for this service, so check what the fee is first.

7AC9BFA2-3245-494F-9D41-59A61941A5AC.jpeg

Hi,
Could you clarify a couple of things...
  • You say College training but was it an apprenticeship attached to a College and so gave you an NVQ rather than a VRQ. Were you out on placement for most of each week or were you in college full time?
  • Do you still have your paper portfolio of evidence or e- portfolio? This would be evidence of passing all the practical and theory criteria for each unit you achieved. (If you have this you can show it to potential employers as evidence). E-portfolios were only coming in around 2014 so hopefully you have all your paper evidence and signed up log book stashed away under your bed or somewhere?
You've been correct in contacting VTCT to obtain replacement certificates. They charge, but in the long run probably worth it for the future.

Latest posts

Back