VTCT cosmetic make-up course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have recently booked on the cosmetic make- up VTCT course, its over 17 weeks, just wondered if anyone on here has done it and if so what you thought?

Hi

I was interested i doing that course too, would be good to know too let us know how you are get on with it x
Good luck

jules x

Thanks,

Im hoping it'll be good, it starts in Feb so I will let you know what its like!

I started to do this course a few years back, when I started my Beauty training.

I soon found out that the facial module didnt cover enough of what I needed, to be able to use alot of manufacturers products e.g. Dermalogica etc. The reason being is that facial massage is not covered. Because of this I was able to convert across to the NVQ2 beauty therapy course full time and it was the best thing I ever did.

Am a right in thinking you dont do mani, pedi and waxing on this course.

I know if I was to employ somebody now I would want to ensure that they could do a wider range of treatments than the cosmetic course does so I would see what other options are available if I was you.

Yeah its only a part of the NVQ, im already doing the mani and pedi course, its a seperate course, its literally just applying make up and eyebrow shaping. I suppose it depends what you want to do, for me I want to do occasion make up and nails, I don't want to do the whole beauty therapy so maybe it will be enough for me? I think it covers preparing the face for the make up but not actual facials if im right!

I have done this course myself but it was from the September to the following July (one evening per week). It was much more than 17 weeks I think.

Anyway, we covered:
cleanse, tone, moisturise
make up application inlcuding disguising prominent features/blemishes etc - so shading and highlighting
eye lash perming and tinting
eyebrow tinting
eyebrow plucking

Now the make up side of things got a bit boring for me and at the college I was at not enough attention was paid to the eyelash and brow treatments.

I then had to sign up to do a separate facial massage course over the course of 16 weeks, which I absolutely loved. However, we were not allowed to do this course until the original cosmetic make up was done. I loved this course so much I would do it again!

I agree though that you do not come away knowing much about products, only those that you are using (we used dermalaogica). However, if you want to take this seriously you do have to do lots and lots of research on skin care and what products do what. When you eventually choose your products, know them inside out so you can give information when it is asked of you.

Hope this helps.

yes I agree its just a starting point, do you think its a good starting point for someone wanting to offer occasion make-up?

yes I agree its just a starting point, do you think its a good starting point for someone wanting to offer occasion make-up?

Sounds good can i be cheeky and ask where you are going?

It is OK for giving ypu the basics but do look to continue this with further training after.

HTH

I have this qualification and covered the same as Joe90 ...except the makeup lol! We spent so much time covering the rest that we really didn't spend much time on the makeup side, which was really crap, and were told to go and read up on it! The prospectus also said we would cover facials which it doesn't ... just a basic cleanse, tone and moisturise. Have to say my certificate is still in its envelope! But that's down to my tutor and not the course which if done properly is a good course.

The modules covered are daytime and evening makeup, and makeup on dark skin tones as an add on ... nothing for special occasion, although you may touch on it in class but it's not something you are assessed on.

On my course Sass, we had to do 6 assessments - 2 wedding make up , 2 daytime makeup and 2 evening make up. Also: 3 eyelash perms, 3 eyelash tints, 3 eyebrow tints, can't remembber how many shapes.

I still struggle sometimes with brow shapes and feel that I need a master class in this.

As with most things it is having "the eye" and mine is quite fine tuned enough yet.

On my course Sass, we had to do 6 assessments - 2 wedding make up , 2 daytime makeup and 2 evening make up. Also: 3 eyelash perms, 3 eyelash tints, 3 eyebrow tints, can't remembber how many shapes.

I still struggle sometimes with brow shapes and feel that I need a master class in this.

As with most things it is having "the eye" and mine is quite fine tuned enough yet.

Can't remember how many we did, but ours defo didn't cover wedding makeup which would have been so useful. Sound like yours was a lot more thorough than mine ... and my course was 35 blinking weeks!

I have also done this course & would recomend it!!! We covered the same as Joe90 as well as false lash appilcation!! I found it to be really good. Did cover some basic facial massage also. Wouldn't mind doing a more indepth facial course though but they don't do them seperately at my college. Only on full-time courses now, they used to & might bring it back. So I can do mini facials, but treatments can be adapted I suppose as it depends on what products you choose to use after.

I have also done this course & would recomend it!!! We covered the same as Joe90 as well as false lash appilcation!! I found it to be really good. Did cover some basic facial massage also. Wouldn't mind doing a more indepth facial course though but they don't do them seperately at my college. Only on full-time courses now, they used to & might bring it back. So I can do mini facials, but treatments can be adapted I suppose as it depends on what products you choose to use after.

Forgot the false eyelash application, both individual and strip - though god only knows who would want strip lashes unless you are on the stage

So im guessing really that it depends on what your college and tutor are like then, I have heard good things about this tutor through the grapevine so hopefully it'll be all good. Its 17 weeks but apparantly you cover the same as the 35 week course just a lot more condensed.

Well ill let you know how I get on!

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!! :)

this was one of the first beauty courses i done, but the college i went to was not good at all i had 3 different tutor in 18 weeks

there is alot of work to do in a short space of time, it is essential that you practice lots and lots

check the kit the college sell in particular the range of foundation colours

the course content is

day, evening and corrective makeup on light and dark skins
skin types and disorders
eyelash perming
eyebrow shaping
eyelash and brow tinting
apply strip and individual false lashes
highlighting and shading
cleanse, tone and moisturise

let me know if you need any help

I am currently doing the VTCT fashion and photographic make up course. It runs for a year, one evening a week for 3 hours. We had to do a 12 week cosmetic course which covered cleanse, tone, moisurise, eyelash and brow tinting, eyebrow shaping and application of individual and strip eyelashes. To complete this part of the course we had to have 4 assessments in each section before we passed.

We have just now started the make up one and we will be covering corrective makeup, ie. highlighting, concealing and shading, day, evening, bridal, black & white photographic, colour photographic and period make up. We have a total of 7 assessments to do from each of the makeup sections covering 5 different face shapes and 3 different skin types. We also have plenty of written assignments to do and an exam in health and safety.

I am absolutely loving the course and the reason for me to do it is to offer make up sessions in our salon and to be able to add it to our bridal package. Already have clients that come in for the lash and brow tint and brow shaping. I am really getting into the beauty side of things and would love to do more courses when I have finished this one.

Chris

Just wondered how people were getting on with this course?

I had originally got a place to do it in Sept but the course was canceelled.. They are now running it again but for less than half the price (?) and for 20 weeks. stated already though last Wed but still have places left and now i cant decide! but i need to act pretty sharpish!!

so if anyone has any thoughts so far please let me know!!

I have been doing this course at a local 'academy' and I don't think the tutor is very good. She hasn't even touched on highlighting, shading or contouring everything I know I have researched myself. Can anyone who has been on this course give me a quick brief of what they studied/learnt. Also did you touch on black make up?

I am not happy about the amount I have paid for this course and the little I have got out of it so I am looking to try another course at a different college.

Latest posts

Back