VTCT courses (East Sussex college) withholding certificates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairabell4891

Reaction score
Hi,

Just asking to see if anyone else has had problems with VTCT courses.

I started level 3 nail course in December 2017, had several written assignments, lots and lots of practical assessments and multiple written exams. I completed the course in March 2016. On our last day, the tutor advised we had all passed. Yay!!

We still haven't had our folders of work back or the certificates. In April, they asked us to re-attend for a couple hours with a client but they cancelled on us all 2 days before we were meant to go. Weeks later, they advised we needed to now do another full day with clients! The following week, they advised we now have to do 2 full days with clients, 2 written assessments and an interview with an EQA! Last week BY TEXT they advised we need to go Friday this week for a full day with clients. Refusal to go means we will not get our certificates. I'm furious that this is happening and I'm pretty certain they're not allowed to do this but does anyone know what I can do about it? I'm self employed, if I don't work I don't get paid and they're refusing to reimburse for loss of earning. Please help ☹️

Hi,
Before certificates can be issued, students work has to be checked - firstly by your college tutor, then by college internal verifier and then by an external verifier from VTCT.
VTCT External Verification days only happen twice a year usually - once around February to check students are making good progress and then again around May/June time to check portfolios are complete and to observe students working. Students attending for observation is compulsory on the EV day. This is stated in the handbook (or equivalent) and would have been clearly stated by your lecturers at the start of your course. Your certificate will be withheld if you do not attend. There can be no valid reason for not attending short of being in hospital or in labour itself! Work commitments, appointments, holidays or child care are not accepted.

Because you have completed a short course, you have been affected by the way the EV dates have landed. It also sounds as if VTCT have changed the dates they were coming to do the inspection which is all very inconvenient but probably out of the control of your college.
If VTCT say jump, you ask how high! That's how it works.

Once the EV is happy with everything they have seen then the course gets signed off. Your lecturer can then submit the forms to claim for your certificate.

What I used to do for my students who had passed all their units and every little criteria - I would print off the necessary evidence so that they could take it to job interviews and also get their insurance sorted. Then, once they had their proper certificate they then sent off copies to whoever needed them to confirm the temporary evidence.

I hope that helps you to understand the process of standardising qualifications across the country and different centres.

Kind regards,

An ex- College lecturer, internal verifier and curriculum co-ordinator

Edit- sorry just noticed the date, thought you'd finished this year, apologies.

Last edited:
Important! Did you pay the college course fees or were they covered by your employer?

If you paid the course fees yourself, you need to start action for breach of contract against the college using the small claims procedure. You completed the course in March 2016 and received confirmation from the tutor employed by the college that you had passed. It is unreasonable for the college not to have resolved this situation by now and issue you with your certificate of matriculation.

I recommend that you speak to a lawyer/solicitor who has experience of education law to help you draft your complaint. (I used to work in this field, although focusing on Higher Education matters.)

It does sound like there’s an issue with the college’s examination processes and/or their administration procedures, but that’s not your problem to resolve. It is July 2019 and it shouldn’t take 3 years to hold an examination board!

If anyone should be jumping through hoops, it’s the College Principal.

Latest posts

Back