VTCT

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovynails

Reaction score
just wondering if you have done the VTCT course can u not just do the one day conversion course.

Hi Groovynails

Apparently not - I have to have been "professional" for at least 1 year :( . Quite honestly, I'm beginning to totally agree with the requirement because, for all the college sprouting on about it being an "official" certification/qualification, its hard to believe that, by covering 1 assessment on acrylic, 1 assessment on fibreglass and 1 assessment on infills (this procedure not even having been demonstrated!), you are passed out with your Nail Tech Diploma and set free amongst the poor public :silly: ! To my way of thinking, the course was much like a DIY course - pop in to learn stuff from the dark ages and figure it out for yourself at home! They also had us using awful products (yucky odorless l&p which I couldn't get on with at all and fortunately found something much easier to work on). I guess on the positive side, it has at least provided me with the Unit 19 qualification.

I agree with you about the VTCT course. I did that and came away feeling as if I`d taught myself and although I`d been doing nails for 2 years before doing it I still don`t feel that clever. I have booked to do a CND 4 day course even though I could do the conversion but I feel confident that I`ll get a lot from doing the whole course.
Before I did the VTCT I did a course with a private school and although she gave me a certificate which the insurers recognised, if you`d seen the clients nails that I did on the course and she passed them off you`d have been appalled, I certainly wouldn`t recommend the school after that.

debbiepromotions said:
I agree with you about the VTCT course. I did that and came away feeling as if I`d taught myself and although I`d been doing nails for 2 years before doing it I still don`t feel that clever. I have booked to do a CND 4 day course even though I could do the conversion but I feel confident that I`ll get a lot from doing the whole course.

I must admit, I'm very much of that mind now too - I think I need to learn all over again with CND - its so annoying to have wasted a year learning (and I use that term loosely!) from a tutor who is going completely against everything I've ever read about and worse still, totally ignores product supplier advice. I could go on for hours telling you just what she has told us to do - it is truly outrageous :shock: but fortunately, I've simply ignored her and followed the "professional" methods - she's tried several times to stop me but I have told her it clearly says in our course literature itself that manufacturer instructions take precedence over anything she or suggests! She can't argue with that, can she :tongue:?!!!

She certainly can`t!
Don`t think of it as wasting a year, after all you have learnt something, even if it doesn`t feel like it. I learnt something every course I`ve done, and I also feel I`ve given something in the next one I`ve done too. Being on here seems to be the biggest learner.
I also feel that until you`ve tried different products and made mistakes, you`re not going to move on, listening to others is great but you have to be able to relate to what is being said to really learn from all the advice given.
I`ve rambelled on so I`m going now.
Intended to make you feel better, not sure I have now.
Debs

Not at all Debbie

Yeah, sometimes I'm annoyed but ultimately I'm a gal on a mission - out to prove her wrong every step of the way ;) - I've made that my goal! Sometimes, I'd swear she seemed to slump in her chair slightly when I would say "excuse me....but......"!!

Seriously, because I could see many aspects of her teaching was so wrong (as did the majority of the class, though perhaps less vocal about it than me!!), it has actually helped in a wierd way because I have researched and checked high and low....joined forums, talked to people and maybe learned more than had I gone on a course I was relatively happy with - maybe I wouldn't have felt so compelled to get out there and gain wider knowledge, if that makes any sense to you?!

Thats exactly how I feel about training now. I am looking forward to doing Creative training but after having bad training I am aiming to be a trainer myself one day.
Debs

Hiya
Regarding VTCT
I have done the above course and it was fantastic.........I think it depends on the tutor you have I could not have asked for any more from my tutor.......she even came to my house some eves when I had someone to pactice on to give guidence and advice, nothing was to much for her.
I learnt so much and it was certainly not a year waisted for me :D
Take care Dawn

Hi Ladies - have found it most interesting reading your posts! :shock: Training is SUCH an issue and as we have said many times before, you naturally expect to get decent training in a college enviroment. I am truly glad that the lovely Dawnie had a good experience. As for the two of you, at least you have done your home work and Holly said, the bad experience has essentailly helped her be more pedantic about choosing correctly the next time around. Good luck to the both of you!! :thumbsup:

P.S. I LOVE your avatar Holly - tres chic!!! ;)

well thats fantastic to hear Dawn, now why can`t they all be like that? After all don`t we go into this profession cos its a passion?
Where I did mine, we had 4 techs in the first month, I partnered a lady who hadn`t even held a file before and I felt that between us we taught ourselves far more than we learnt in class. If there were a few more tutors like yours then we`d be a lot happier about ourselves.
Debs

Hi Debs
I was so sad to hear of your experience........how on earth can you gain trust in your tutor if they are changing all the time :shock:
But I think in this business you just keep learning all the time.......I have learnt a lot from everyone on this site also.
And I am putting me pennies by to do some creative courses in the near future........can't wait to get the creative name behind me :D
So good luck to you in the future.
Take care Dawnie

mrs geek said:
Hi Ladies - have found it most interesting reading your posts! :shock: Training is SUCH an issue and as we have said many times before, you naturally expect to get decent training in a college enviroment. I am truly glad that the lovely Dawnie had a good experience. As for the two of you, at least you have done your home work and Holly said, the bad experience has essentailly helped her be more pedantic about choosing correctly the next time around. Good luck to the both of you!! :thumbsup:

P.S. I LOVE your avatar Holly - tres chic!!! ;)
Merci Madame Geek ;)

Yes, its certainly had a positive side to it.....made me want to come running, weeping and wailing for my CND course....unfortunately...the bank manager will be close on my tail, pulling me in the opposite direction!!! I'm wondering if they'll give me a discount on the 4 day course as I've already got my training hand ;) - anythings worth a try?!!

Debbie - when you mentioned the file business...I have to tell you, that was the most terrifying day I had at that college when suddenly the tutor says "right then, get tip blending and I was lumbered with someone who not only had my hand practically in her face because she couldn't see anything beyond 6 inches in front of her, but she had this determined look in her eye that was almost demonic and her tongue twisted to her cheek :twisted: .....and she had absolutely not a clue - god it was scarey! She grabbed this board without even looking at it (a 100 grit mind :shock:) and held it like a bread knife and I have to say, I almost went ballistic - luckily, after a few blood curdling scrreams from me (okay...a few terrified murmers under my breath), I got the tutor to go back over the procedure with her...one 2 one whilst I hastily got myself partnered with someone else! In all fairness, the problem for everyone in the class was really becaus there were actually 19 people in there and she would do a demo and it was very hard for everyone to get close enough to see what she was doing.

This particular lady did however give up (though I dispute that, having seen flashing blue lights just moments before she left ;)) after she managed to cut someone's cuticles very, very badly with her cuticle knife during a manicure....maybe she meant to turn up for the woodwork course:D

Oh MY!!!

Holly I have been laughing my socks off - a good start to the day!!

But really it is NO laughing matter is it.

I mean ... they bring out a good course essentially that should work and produce a standard - same as NVQ - But neither of them do produce a standard because

1. the colleges do not OFTEN hire quality trainers who are nail educators TRAINED to be educators... they tend to hire ANYBODY who says they can do nails.

2. they have quotas to meet (to make the college look good) so the tutors are told not to fail the candidates.

3. Most colleges are more interrested in Beauty NOT nails.

4. secretly most beauty therapists have no respect for nail treatments other than manuicures because thay have been taught that nail enhancements RUIN nails.

i KNOW THAT all BEAUTY THERAPIST DO NOT FEEL THIS WAY! But many tutors do pass this distrust on to their students.

Now before all the EXCELLENT college turors out there go ballistic - and there are some really good colleges and tutors, but it is very true there are more who are not. As evidenced by the few numbers of students who actually go the whole distance and leave before they get their qualification and then have to come on these boards for education for sometimes some pretty basic stuff which they should have covered and passed assessments for on the course.

OK come and get me!!

Hi Geeg - glad to have brought a smile to your face this morning ;)

In all fairness, it seems our class were just unfortunate - this was the first course our tutor had ever taken, having worked as a mobile therapist for a few years. The problem with the college is that they are cramming people into the courses (and this must be hard for a new tutor to handle such a class size from the get go) - I think they run 4 on one day alone with an average of 20 to a class (that in itself is not too good either, particularly when it comes to demos) and sitting paired up, 2 to a massage table (yes....massage table :shock:). Until a couple of drop outs (including the one dragged off in a white jacket :ack: ) there were 6 people sharing two tables! It gets better because, come the assessments, as she would only assess one half of the room, you had 4 people to a massage table - two clients and two students...I hasten to add...these are not the large, luxurious type tables, but flimsy, skinny little things...it really did make things incredibly uncomfortable and I don't think it was very professional at all and not impressive for the clients.

Anyhow, I think something may be going on because the VTCT big bods were down there a lot and then suddenly so too was OFTEL because I know some complaints were made to the college principal about the quality standards (who....moi? :oops: - I didn't do it miss...honest...)

Thought you nice folks might be interested in my learning experience. It was a 13-week (390 hours) course called Nail Technology at a local private hairdressing school. My course was taught by someone who has about 20 years experience doing nails. She has been teaching for the past 2 years at this school. The focus of the school is most definitely on the hairdressing program as we would have to practically beg, borrow and steal product. The hairdressing students would have their little colour or makeup competitions and their prizes would be manicures or pedicures from us. We didn't have any kind of competitions like that in our class. The ratio of students to teacher was about 5:1, no higher than 8:1 ever. So we got a lot of hands-on with the teacher. But, there was a lot of sitting around doing nothing as well which was extremely frustrating. I felt like I was paying them to sit around and chat, wearing a white uniform to boot, and not getting my money's worth at all. We had very few paying clients to work on, so we worked on ourselves or begged our friends to come in for a free set and/or fill to get some practice. I invested in a Nail Trainer and used it myself in class, and felt badly for the students who could not afford one. The school would in no way provide even one for the students to work on, even if they were to purchase the nails and glue themselves, and put a deposit on the hand. Wasn't gonna happen.

When I got frustrated with all this, I went online and found places like this forum, and have bookmarked an absolute ton of websites to further my education. I subsribe to a trade magazine as well. And I am lucky that I can attend product workshops as frequently as I need, and am close to a major city that has annual trade shows.

We used CND and Star Nail products exclusively at the school and as a result I was able to attend a 2-day CND Master class absolutely free of charge after I graduated. Having read all your posts here I do feel fortunate that I did receive the level of training I did and it was only because the instructor felt passionate about giving us a quality education. But I still feel for the money I spent, it was lacking. I guess I am looking at it as what I would do differently if I were the instructor and/or administrator of the school.

Although my training wasn`t as good as I expected it to be, I have to say that getting partnered with someone who hadn`t even held a file before did work in my favour where timings of treatments are concerned. I always let her practice first (cos I`m luvverley like that) cos I felt she needed it more. So when it came to my practice, I was always working against the clock. I also had to put up with jibes from the rest of the class for monopolising the tutor, and I felt this was justified cos of the NERD of the class (I can call her that cos she is now a firm friend). Unfortunately with young children and work commitments she doesn`t get as much practise in the outside world as I do but she did come out of there with a bit of paper saying she has a qualification and does know the basics (bless her).
It was a blast most of the time, cos we really did gel (pardon the pun) but the education should have been better, bring on my Creative training!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back