Wages/commission advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel87

Reaction score
Hey
I have been offered a job to work on Saturdays in a small busy salon and have been told my working hours are 9-6.
She has told me the pay is £50 for the day then 10% comission...but I haven't been told what my target is before I earn comission.
I told her I wouldn't work for less than £80 a day - so £8hr. She told me she couldn't afford to just give me £80.
So what I'm asking is...should basic pay at least be minimum wage + comission?
Or is that ok she's offering to pay such a little basic pay?
I have 11years experience but my previous salon was nothing like this place. I was use to perms/sets/weekly oldie blow dries.
This place works with a younger clientele.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks x

You would need to be paid at least the minimum wage for your age or the living wage if you are over 25 but this can include commission.
Maybe she means you get £50 then 10% of everything you have taken that day but usually there's a target first so just ask her.
Contracts can state also that lunch breaks are unpaid so you may not get paid for the full 9 hrs but again check.

That's a little under the minimum wage.
At the moment it's £7.30 ph....most won't pay for the lunch hour.

For 8 hours, you should expect £58.40.
Usually you will need to at least cover your wage before any commission is paid.
Some salons (depending on how busy they are), will expect you to take 3 X your wage.:cool:
Perhaps you should have stayed where you were!:p

I have had a advert running now for some time and I have had two applicants asking for 150 a day . wow . and these both were new to the area so with no clients .

I have had a advert running now for some time and I have had two applicants asking for 150 a day . wow . and these both were new to the area so with no clients .
Lol, dream on, I'm running my own salon working 6 days most weeks and don't pay myself anywhere near that. They should have stayed where they were if that's what they are used to getting! [emoji28]

Thank you for your help.
I have told her I'm not willing to work for so little. I will continue to search for somewhere else

To pay someone £150 per day, I would expect them to be generating between £300 - £450 in takings a day.
If they can bring that to my table, HAPPY DAY'S.:D
If they do not have a clientele to bring with them, I'd be very surprised if that level of salary would be on offer.:oops:, unless they are looking at London based salons.

I personally like to offer staff higher commission and lower basic , personally I work myself very well if I have a target and I like to achieve goals.
I find the higher your basic the lazier your staff get.
So if you get offered £50 a day I think that is reasonable,
Plus commission, depend on what your retail services go for, if your average client spends only £35 for a treatment as opposed to £20 then it would be more beneficial to negotiate a higher commission basis then a higher basic.

She needs to pay minimum £7.20 per hour if you're over 25 so if she's not offering that then she's breaking the law. I pay staff for their lunch as they usually only manage 30 mins tops to stuff down lunch between clients. Commission should be an extra as it's not guaranteed.

Latest posts

Back