Wages for nvq level 3 beauty therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOUISE1971

Reaction score
hi, Im opening a salon in a couple of months doing tanning, nails and beauty. I want to employ a beauty therapist and have someone in mind who will finish her nvq level 3 in june,the thing is i'm really not sure what the right kind of wage to offer would be.Any of your replies would be appreciated. thanks

Last year I was offered a job in a salon in Scotland and as I only have Level 2 of the NVQ the owner would only offer the minimum hourly wage but if I was qualified to HND she would increase it to £5.20! What a thrill.

Can you guess, I never took her up on her job offer. Just as well as she shut down after 6 months!

Yvonne :confused:

LOUISE1971 said:
hi, Im opening a salon in a couple of months doing tanning, nails and beauty. I want to employ a beauty therapist and have someone in mind who will finish her nvq level 3 in june,the thing is i'm really not sure what the right kind of wage to offer would be.Any of your replies would be appreciated. thanks
Just a thought............
Why not get in touch with your local employment agency or Job centre and ask them about the going rate for this...............
Pay varies all around the country.........So they would be the best to helpyou with this.....Then you can review and settle for something that is fair for you and your employee............

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Just a thought............
Why not get in touch with your local employment agency or Job centre and ask them about the going rate for this...............
Pay varies all around the country.........So they would be the best to helpyou with this.....Then you can review and settle for something that is fair for you and your employee............

Funny you said say that Ruth... I did search on jobs direct for a Nail Technician position in my area (Leeds/Wakefield) 4 were posted wanting NVQ Level 3 Staff with salon experience and they were all will to pay the MINIMUM NATIONAL WAGE but to be far one salon were willing to pay the £5.50..
whoopeee...Personally I find this an insulting hourly rate for a skilled professional and would look for a minimum of £6.50, otherwise I would stay at home and do my own nails instead :rolleyes: and my fellow techies is my humble opinion :)

were i worked everyone got £4.50/£5.00 per hr, they also got 10% of the value of each treatment they did, and a percentage of any products they sold, so if they did a treatment for say £20.00 - 10% = £2.00 that would be £7.00 per hr.

Fab Freak said:
Funny you said say that Ruth... I did search on jobs direct for a Nail Technician position in my area (Leeds/Wakefield) 4 were posted wanting NVQ Level 3 Staff with salon experience and they were all will to pay the MINIMUM NATIONAL WAGE but to be far one salon were willing to pay the £5.50..
whoopeee...Personally I find this an insulting hourly rate for a skilled professional and would look for a minimum of £6.50, otherwise I would stay at home and do my own nails instead :rolleyes: and my fellow techies is my humble opinion :)
It is hard to determine how much a Technician is worth .............
A lot depends on skill level and education level and expirience level........
How good they are and what advanced training they have had.........

That's why most Techs rent a chair or space rent and pay a % of their takings.....
Maybe thats one solution.........rent the out a nail station rather then pay them an hourly wage...........
JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back