want to be waxed but without the little red bumps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi I mainly do hair and nails ,
I would dearly love to have my top lip and arms and legs waxed but every time I get it done I come out in tiny red painful bumps where the hairs have been taken out,( it looks as though I have measles)

The bumps stay like that for weeks they are ever so tender and sore ,
do I have an allergy ? or is there another method or type of wax the therapist could use , she always puts tea tree cream on afterwards :hug: x

Hi I mainly do hair and nails ,
I would dearly love to have my top lip and arms and legs waxed but every time I get it done I come out in tiny red painful bumps where the hairs have been taken out,( it looks as though I have measles)

The bumps stay like that for weeks they are ever so tender and sore ,
do I have an allergy ? or is there another method or type of wax the therapist could use , she always puts tea tree cream on afterwards :hug: x

I think maybe you have a reaction slightly more severe than most,usually these open follicles only stay red/raised for approx 24 hours,then disappear altogether.

I would suggest a T tree wax, witch hazel gel followed by a course in anti- histamines.HTH

I am a very new beauty student but will offer my two pence for what it's worth. I'll learn too :green:.

Could be an allergy to the wax. What does your therapist use?
Could be that you are hypersensitive hence the week long reaction. Does your therapist use a soothing gel after the wax treatment?
Do you follow aftercare advice, eg. no make-up or creams/lotions to skin for first 12 to 24 hours after waxing?

HTH but if I'm going up the wrong garden path here then please correct me experienced beauty geeks, including you Bab :wink2: xx

I am a very new beauty student but will offer my two pence for what it's worth. I'll learn too :green:.

Could be an allergy to the wax. What does your therapist use?
Could be that you are hypersensitive hence the week long reaction. Does your therapist use a soothing gel after the wax treatment?
Do you follow aftercare advice, eg. no make-up or creams/lotions to skin for first 12 to 24 hours after waxing?

HTH but if I'm going up the wrong garden path here then please correct me experienced beauty geeks, including you Bab :wink2: xx
Hi Tracey,usually wearing make up or touching the area folowing waxing causes spots not raised bumps as has been mentioned,and certainly not all over every area.But you're doing good for a newbie:hug:

Hi Tracey,usually wearing make up or touching the area folowing waxing causes spots not raised bumps as has been mentioned,and certainly not all over every area.But you're doing good for a newbie:hug:
Lmao :lol:, oh well I tried. But at least I've learned something :green:.

Where have you been waxed so far and have you only ever been to the same place or therapist.

Hi , I have only been waxed twice at the same place that I used to work at by the in house beauty therapist, she asked if I wanted my arms waxing ?

I said yes that would be great as Id never had it done before

so she did them using a spatula and sticky honey coloured warm wax and paper strips she was very experienced very quick and efficient, then she also did my upper lip area too,

I'm not very hairy , just quite downy , she then put some tea tree after wax lotion on me which was pleasant ,

but later after I went home the rash started to appear it really hurt like stinging nettles , but the dots were loads of red and tiny raised bumps , they got very hot and tender and took about three weeks to start settling ,

I also noticed in the upper lip area I seemed to have beads of sweat there forming all the time too which really stung a lot,

The poor beauty therapist was really shocked as it had never happened before,
(but we did have a laugh though , not a very good advert )

so we gave it a rest and then we tried waxing my legs a few months later,
she left off the after wax lotion but he same thing happened but not quite as bad ,

That was over a year ago
I just thought I'm allergic to being waxed so I never bothered again ,

Any how the beauty therapist has left now
and someone else wants to wax me I'm a bit apprehensive though as the rash is really uncomfortable , and by the time it gos away the hairs are growing back again,

but would love to be hair free , :hug: x

you could always try using a therapist who uses non-strip wax, this may help.

Becki xxx

Mention that this has happened and ask if it is possible to have a small patch test if you do decide to go somewhere else. Have the test on your legs so if it does react it will be hidden :hug:

Have you ever been waxed with strip sugar/sugar wax instead?

This may get around your wax allergies.

I would definitely try Sugaring instead! On the contrary to all other waxes you pull out the hair in its growing direction which makes sensitive skin less reactive!
It only contains sugar,water and a splash of lemonjuice ( by the way, are you allergic to lemons?).
It sounds as if something is clogging your follicles!

Hi,

I'm not a professional but have been waxed regularly for several years.
I get my feet/toes, full legs, hollywood, nipples and armpits waxed by a salon professional using a similar wax treatment as you describe.

When I first started getting waxed I found I suffered the same symtoms you describe but after quizzing my consultant, experimenting a bit I developed and refined this regime.

-When showering I use exfoliating gloves from a shop to wash and scrub using only 'simple' soap bar with extra attention to areas being waxed.
-After drying myself I apply generous amounts of 'Aveeno' body lotion to all but my hollywood area and massage until absorbed.
-I then use 'Strictly Professional' 'after wax lotion' which contains tea tree and peppermint for my hollywood area.
-I shower and moisturise twice a day but usually only exfoliate once in the evening.
-I shower at least 90 minutes before being waxed, the longer before the better, but I do like to be clean on arrival.
-I dont shower for about 24 to 36 hours after waxing, I just apply the SP lotion every few hours and change my clothes to help keep areas fresh and clean. When I do shower the first day or two after I use luke warm water, just warm enough to stand under.

Since using this process I only get the odd bump or two instead of the whole area being irritated and burning for weeks. I feel the gloves help most of all, the SP after wax lotion has proved a more suitable moisturiser for the holywood area which for me is more sensitive, and the perfume free soap is essential.

Something to note also is I regularly take Antihistamines due to my having an allergy to my girfriends cat. I never considered that a possible factor until I read BABSann' post.

This may help with the bumps and rash but not sure about the beads of sweat, I do remember from my early days of waxing my most sensitive parts acted almost like they had been burns and weeped a little.

HTH

This does not sound like an allergic reaction to me. It sounds like a histamine reaction, which is quite common...especially on an upper lip wax. The key it to make sure you keep your hands off the waxed area after being waxed, and keeping the waxing up every four weeks...your body will get used to it. Treat it with a clearing product (such as clearing booster from dermalogica). I have found that using an astringent immediatly after waxing helps to calm this reaction down as well.

Latest posts

Back