Want to cry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
Hindsight....is amazing...

I had all my business documents (accounts takings & expenses, leaflets, flyers etc) stored on my laptop and backed up on a pen drive. On Saturday, it emerged that my laptop had a virus and had died. Lost all the documents stored on there as we had to wipe the thing and start again.

No worries I thought, all documents are backed up on pen drive. Put pen drive in boyfriend's PC....ALL files corrupt, unable to open etc etc. Ok, don't panic there are programs that enable you to retrieve lost documents. Did that. Got most of them back, my leafet, consultation forms etc.

The ONLY document that is totally lost and unable to open, is the Excel speadsheet with every single figure of takings, expenses, profit etc from the start of my business. 5 months worth. And I only have about 60% of it written in my diary, the rest, like retail from oils etc, was just put directly onto the spreadsheet. AND it took me weeks to build the spreadsheet with all the formulas etc in it.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can begin to re-build this, or has anyone got a profit/expenses spreadsheet they wouldn't mind me pinching to help me start to sort this out?

Please don't say "You should have it backed up in more places, have it written down, hard copies" etc....because I know this now, thought I was safe with it being stored in 2 places, clearly not! I'm going to store them online, on disk, on usb and whatever else I can think of. I'll email them to myself as well!

Feel so dejected that I have to start all over again :cry:

How awful, I had a similar thing a few years ago. Do you use a separate business account? I'd start with what you do have in your diary, any receipts for expenses you have and cross check at the end with your bank statements, any money that you've earned that can't be backtracked to appointments is most likely tips or retail. Good luck x

Oh hun :(

Ok, so do u have an appointment book? There is a start for ur income, as said above if u have a business account ask for a statement, and go threw all ur invoices/receipts- its a pain being 5 months worth of receiepts, also, do u keep any invoices on ur email (if u buy online)

Good luck xx

Oh hun :(

Ok, so do u have an appointment book? There is a start for ur income, as said above if u have a business account ask for a statement, and go threw all ur invoices/receipts- its a pain being 5 months worth of receiepts, also, do u keep any invoices on ur email (if u buy online)

Good luck xx

can someone not look at your laptop and go back to a previous date when your laptop was ok and retrieve the information for you?? im not a technical person but know that my husband has had to do this several times hth

can someone not look at your laptop and go back to a previous date when your laptop was ok and retrieve the information for you?? im not a technical person but know that my husband has had to do this several times hth

WSS - this can be done :) I know this as my OH does IT security work and recovered a load of stuff from my blackberry after it had been stolen, had its contents erased and then returned the phone when the realised i had blocked it (they also got the sack once we recovered the data as it contained photos they had taken of themself as well as my stuff! :evil:)

Hi if you take your laptop to a technician they should be able to retrive most of your lost files from your hard drive...x

If you can take it and have the hard drive recovered. They should also be able to look at the pen drive and retrieve from there. Partner does this for a living, pm me if you want. hth x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek
I know its not much help now but any important documents i have i email to myself then you can retrieve them back from any computer . I have also herd that your pc can be taken back to the date before your virus and you Will be able to retrieve your documents. Hope you sort it out . X

You poor thing. What a horrible ordeal.

Is the spreadsheet 100% gone? Is there no other way to recover it? Did you email it at any stage?

Hopefully one of the geeks will be able to help you with this. Fingers crossed. But at least you have 60% of it recorded - it's better than 0%

Thanks for your help everyone. I took it to my dads friends IT company but they found the same as my techie friend; all files retrieved bar the main one.

So I've just started from scratch again going through my diary/appointments, receipts etc.

It's just the actual spreadsheet with all the formulas showing profit/loss etc that's the ball ache.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back