Want to take a course - part or full?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkling*diva

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

I'm really into my nails and recently have been doing my own shellac.

However until someone kindly pointed out to me in reply to another post, I didn't realise that Shellac is only available to professionals.

I bought a kit off a friend who got it secondhand from someone else who didn't want it anymore. It came with the cnd lamp (old style) about 12 polishes also, which I have been using, and some other bits & bobs.

Since then I have bought a couple of new colours from ebay from the USA but after some detective work I found out that they aren't even meant to be shipping them from there due to hazard regulations :eek:

So, I would like to get a professional qualifictaion, not just to enable me to purchase shellac, but also to learn new things ....acrylics,gel,minx etc and feel confident that I am a professional and know what I'm doing when doing friends & familys and my own nails :)

Unfortunately I cannot drive due to a medical condition so I would never be able to go mobile and set up my own little business which is a shame as it's something I would have loved to do have done just part time as I have a full time job already.

So, afer my massive essay :D, would you suggest just getting a qualification in mani/pedi first ,and then Shellac, or would something like the complete CND course be beneficial to me ....or would that be throwing me in at the deep end do you think?

Do all CND courses with sweet squared earn you a qualification?

There is a centre in London which is handy for me.

Is it better to go to sweet squared for a mani/pedi course?
Or is it better to find a local one at a college just for the basics?
I have noticed that some people do this and then do other stuff at sweet squared and I just wondered why this was.

Any info/advice greatly appreciated :)

xx

Last edited:
Hi!

There are a million and one different opinions on training, just read some of the threads for examples. The one thing that you need to know is that in order to register with Sweetsquared, you will need to hold a basic manicure certificate at least.

As for how you get that, well that is the question! You could go through the college route and have a less than satisfactory experience, like many others on here have reported. Or it could be a really thorough, invaluable experience. Could you speak to anyone local who have been through the college course you would choose?

I went to college years ago, but never did anything with it other than use it for myself. There was no way I was going to start again without updating myself. I was lucky in that I found a tutor who believed they wanted to go more in depth on a one day course, so I went with them. They also teach at college and run their own very successful salon.

I have bought 2 of the considered bibles, The Complete nail techinician, also Nail Class. Doug Schoons book will be in my hands in a few weeks. You should get all three, to help you along your training.

You need to think of it as life long learning, and continue the training, taking any courses in your chosen products. You could do the Complete course offered by CND, as it covers Shellac too. You will get a recognised qualification.

Why don't you give S2 a ring and get the details on the course sent to you so you can compare what is offered.

Good luck, if you are getting Shellac to stay on that long as per your other thread, it shows you have something, if only decent PEP and application skills!

Thanks for that Nicole!

I've emailed S2 as I cant afford to do anything at the moment but hopefully they'll get back to me with some advice and info.

You will laugh at this...as soon as I posted how my shellac always stays on for 2 weeks...what happens? It came off after 1 DAY!! :biggrin:

I used glitter for the first time and put it into the inhibition layer of the second colour coat, then I did a top coat and cured, then put another layer of glitter, then two top coats. BUT I think I overcured as after each layer of glitter on the inhibition layer instead of brushing the excess off there and then I cured again for 2 mins, then brushed the excess off and then did the top coat.

Does overcuring lead to peeling like that?

It literally peeled off in one whole piece leaving the nail completely smooth and silky as if nothing had ever been on there!

Like I say though, I'm not a pro ...yet!..so until I've had my training and know what I'm doing I'll just mess around with the bits I have left over from my friend....and stick to solid colour :p

x

Latest posts

Back