want to train with i-appeal eyelashes, but im not insured with Babtac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softpeach

Reaction score
hey all, for my birthday my partner is paying for my i-appeal eyelash course, :D, so before i booked the course i phoned babtac to make sure im covered, and im not! because iv not done a facial course eekk! im glad i made that phone call, so instead of doing i_appeal im looking for a facial course!

Well at least you found out before you had used the money on the eye lash course. Did you ask Babtac for some recommendations of which facial course they would recommend and would cover you for your insurance?

no hun, i will phone back to day, i have been looking at the facial training with hive facial systems, its aimed at new therapists, the course runs over 6weeks, thats the only one i have seen this morning x

are they eyeextensions hun? i did mine with nouveau and i am insured with the guild, i didn't have to be qualified in facials for it ?

yes hun it is for lashes, it must be just babtac who needs the facial course 1st then, x

hey all, for my birthday my partner is paying for my i-appeal eyelash course, :D, so before i booked the course i phoned babtac to make sure im covered, and im not! because iv not done a facial course eekk! im glad i made that phone call, so instead of doing i_appeal im looking for a facial course!

Hi,

The Guild don't require a facial certificate if you hold an i-appeal qualification.

thanks for information guys, i will have a look at the guild... cheers :D

If you want any more information, you can take a look at Beauty Guild : Home, call one of our Membership Advisors on 0845 2177 383 or send me a PM.

Hi Theresa

Let me clarify a tad.

The problem isn't with i-appeal or ABX; as far as I'm aware it's a good course and ABX is a perfectly sound company about whom we have absolutely no complaints.

The issue is that if you haven't taken a pre-requisite course in facials at all, the extended training of the i-appeal course may not 'top up' the training which might make you 100% confident, competent and conversant with basic facial technique.

If I can perhaps compare it to my daughter's first motorbike, which I'm curently putting on the road for her (because the insurance requirements are perhaps similar); she can be insured to drive up to 50cc after Compulsory Basic Training, then once she passes the first A test she can drive up to 125cc bikes, then another test to go above that and so forth. The CBT is cheap and quite easy and fast to attain; the next stages up get a little tougher and more costly; but the CBT makes her safe to progress.

Now - and stay with me, boring though it seems, because the conclusion is in your favour - the 'basic' facial pre-requisites with BABTAC (as, I think, with all other Associations and Insurers) can be earned from two routes; national, state qualifications, or from independent training companies who are 'accredited' by BABTAC as effectively offering their equivalent.

Not all independents are accredited for the basics by all Associations and Insurers, because not all independents have registered with all of us! There is a small fee to get a course accredited to cover the (quite significant) time it takes for us to 'check the course out' to make sure it is up to standard, and I think we charge the same as our friends at Guild. But it seems that, for whatever reason, so far i-appeal have had their Guild accreditation, but not BABTAC's; so we can't say that the course your partner has bought for you is 100% safe!

I'm not criticising i-appeal - I'm sure it's fine - but we can't say to our insurers that it's a quality course but Guild, it seems, can.

On that point - it's worth noting that if you are approached by any insurer - especially a very, very cheap one, or a new one - just one of the questions you might ask is if they charge training companies and schools for course accreditation.

If they do, it means they take their responsibility to you - to try and help you be a good, safe therapist - very, very seriously. If they don't, it could mean they accredit anyone willy-nilly; which might mean that, by what would appear to be an implied recommendation from them, you could pay for courses which are (a) absolutely rubbish and (b) put you and your client at risk. And there are plenty of horror stories on this site about those!

So, whilst tearing my hair out and chewing the carpet, BABTAC wouldn't be able to take you as a member. But I am glad that you are considering Guild; obviously I am biased and I think BABTAC is better (!), and it is a fact that the two companies are very different in many, many ways. But I'm not going to 'sell' us on this thread because if I sadly have to lose a therapist to anyone, I am delighted you are going to Guild above any other company - especially a 'cheap' one!

Paul and Lynne Archer and their team have been around a long time and know what they're doing; I am sure they'll look after you.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

Last edited:
Thanks for your explanation Philip.

The whole matter of insurance if you dont do the normal wider known college type training in beauty seems very complex so I am just glad that I did take the NVQ2 in general beauty treatments at college. This I think made my insurance alot easier to organise (which is currently with Prof Beauty Direct).

I bet there is many a therapist out there that have trained in individual treatments such as individual lashes that perhaps dont realise the difficulty they could have in arranging adequate insurance cover.

Latest posts

Back