Wanting to set up again (replies really appreciated)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflowerfi

Reaction score
Hi there
I haven't posted for a while as I have been out of the loop as far as Beauty is concerned.
About 2.5 years ago I began taking qualifications part time in the hope of setting up my own mobile business. I have a level 2 makeup certificate, level 2 diploma in Beauty, Level 2 in nails and level 3 in beauty massage and have spent a fortune not to mention taken up a lot of time getting qualified.
I had my plan all mapped out as I was, at the time, working 2.5 days a week. I would build up my mobile business on Thursdays, Fridays and weekends while still working part time (non beauty job) and hopefully things would take off and I would eventually be able to afford to rent a room.
However, I was faced with the prospect of redundancy last summer and as a mum of two young children needed to ensure I found a job which fitted in with my kids so seeking work in a salon was not really an option). I ended up getting a job as a teaching assistant in a school and have been doing this since September. I work five days a week and am no longer able to fit in building my mobile business easily.
I don't enjoy my job and am simply counting down to the next weekend or holiday and miss the beauty work I was starting to do not to mention feeling all my qualifications and hard work have been wasted. I invested so much time and money into them.
I really want to set up again yet I need that security of having a regular income until things (hopefully) take off. I was thinking I could aim to start up again over the summer holidays when I am off. My contract ends at the end of August so I will be out of work again then (even if my contract is renewed the thought of carrying on there fills me with dread).
Sorry this is so long but I hope someone can offer some support, word of advice.
Many Thanks

Did you start getting clients before you had to take this job? Is there any way you can work one Saturday doing treatments and have someone else mind the kids, until August? Or maybe work in a salon for a year or so for the salary? There's just no easy solution to making that jump I'm afraid. Maybe you could postpone your plans for a little while and find a different job that pays a little better, save super hard and then take the plunge?

There's actually allot of supoort out there for people wamting to go self employed, especially if you are made redundant/out of work. I started my nail tech course last year but had to take a break due to my health. I've now gone back to it and I'm getting support from the jobcentre and a local enterprise charity. I've had my course funded and they are also giving me part grant and part loan to help with my set up x

There's actually allot of supoort out there for people wamting to go self employed, especially if you are made redundant/out of work. I started my nail tech course last year but had to take a break due to my health. I've now gone back to it and I'm getting support from the jobcentre and a local enterprise charity. I've had my course funded and they are also giving me part grant and part loan to help with my set up x

I've just been made redundant! Can you please advise on where you looked for grants and courses? It's been a horrible time and had my confidence knocked! X

Hi there
I haven't posted for a while as I have been out of the loop as far as Beauty is concerned.
About 2.5 years ago I began taking qualifications part time in the hope of setting up my own mobile business. I have a level 2 makeup certificate, level 2 diploma in Beauty, Level 2 in nails and level 3 in beauty massage and have spent a fortune not to mention taken up a lot of time getting qualified.
I had my plan all mapped out as I was, at the time, working 2.5 days a week. I would build up my mobile business on Thursdays, Fridays and weekends while still working part time (non beauty job) and hopefully things would take off and I would eventually be able to afford to rent a room.
However, I was faced with the prospect of redundancy last summer and as a mum of two young children needed to ensure I found a job which fitted in with my kids so seeking work in a salon was not really an option). I ended up getting a job as a teaching assistant in a school and have been doing this since September. I work five days a week and am no longer able to fit in building my mobile business easily.
I don't enjoy my job and am simply counting down to the next weekend or holiday and miss the beauty work I was starting to do not to mention feeling all my qualifications and hard work have been wasted. I invested so much time and money into them.
I really want to set up again yet I need that security of having a regular income until things (hopefully) take off. I was thinking I could aim to start up again over the summer holidays when I am off. My contract ends at the end of August so I will be out of work again then (even if my contract is renewed the thought of carrying on there fills me with dread).
Sorry this is so long but I hope someone can offer some support, word of advice.
Many Thanks

If I was you I would look at either looking for a salon role for not year or look at building up your business now by doing weekend and sat work if child care allows. Sounds like you've had a stressful time Hun and I feel for you! I've been made redundant and know it's hard to just take a job for the sake of paying the bills especially if your not passionate about it. X

Another thought might be to do classroom assistant in college with the beauty students. I always found that the support staff with beauty qualifications were fab with the learners. They worked for the college agency with flexible hours around their child care.
I also used to invite them to any beauty CPD sessions and workshops so they could update their skills

I've just been made redundant! Can you please advise on where you looked for grants and courses? It's been a horrible time and had my confidence knocked! X

I've been working closely with the jobcentre as I'm currently on Employment and Support allowance and they are trying to get people back in to work. My adviser was telling me that the government are really trying to help people who are out of work due to illness or redundancy and are particularly encouraging people who want to be self employed. They have paid for my course and helped woth lots of other things like advice for starting a business and dealing with tax etc. When I do start workimg, they will give me £66 a week for the first 3 months and £33 a week for the next 3 months to help whilst getting started.

I would contact your local jobcentre to see what they can do for you. I also found a local charity who help with enterprise. I just did a google search for my local area, so maybe try that? X

Thanks for your replies. I am starting to feel more motivated and have decided that if I want to succeed I am going to have to work hard so I am going to initially try and get clients on a Friday evening and Saturday and am going to focus on massage, manicures, pedicures and makeup as the nails market is very competitive around here and mobile luxury treatments such as massage and pedicures were always my most popular where as makeup is less time consuming and I have an excellent kit.
Very interesting about the job centre. I am employed until August 31st with the school and doubt they would help if I simply quit my job but when my contract ends it could be an option.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back