Wanting to start a nails business but not that simple!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
Anyone who has been following my blogs will know that I am moving from Yorkshire to Cheshire and hopefully this is going to be as soon as January. I want to start a nails business but I have been out of work so long because I am on sickness benefits and I am initially going to be on the Permitted Work scheme which basically means I can work up to 16 hours a week after that I will loose some of my benefits. I'm getting loads of advice ranging from benefits advice to business advice. I am going to be dividing my time between Yorkshire and Cheshire till July next year as I am doing a beauty course. I know I could wait till I move but tbh I need to start earning some money so I can move and also its a good time of year to start with Christmas coming up.

So thats the background info, this is my question. I am a bit out of practise but it wont take me long to get up to speed for those that have started a self employed nail technician or a hair/beauty business what is the best way forward?
  1. To go mobile
  2. To rent a room/table
Obviously my specific circumstances need to be taken into account but I would really appreciate some opinions. Thanks in advance!

anne xx

Renting a space is absolutely the way to go. No percentages just rent the space and work it.

Going mobile is donkey work and you can't make anything like as much per day.

Thanks Geeg, thats what I thought. Plus I have a massage bed and I can offer reflexology treatments or at least suggest treatments to the salon if I rent a bed per treatment. Suppose 2+ months work in a salon in run up to Christmas is better than nothing, if anything its good practise run before I start proper in Cheshire.

Will go to my local salon supplier and look at the vacancy board, theres always loads up wanting nail technicians.

anne xx

I want to start a nails business but I have been out of work so long because I am on sickness benefits and I am initially going to be on the Permitted Work scheme which basically means I can work up to 16 hours a week after that I will loose some of my benefits.

Does it make a difference that you'll be self employed not employed? Just thinking that you might not even be making a profit to start with. Or I guess you could stay on PWS while you're building your business, then decide whether to go full time x

Regarding benefits it makes no difference but I would rather work self employed than on an hourly rate as a nail tech, earn far more money I think! Thanks for your post though!

anne xx

Latest posts

Back