Wanting to start own business but unsure where to start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie860

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m wanting to move back in the beauty industry, I trained in level 2 beauty in 2010 have a OPI gel colour workshop and the guild of nail technicians acrylic nails. I’d like to do nails and eyes (lashes, tints, brow shaping) but don’t how to get started.
Truth be told I’m a little worried how I can work it round my 3 year old son, his dad is a chef and currently working 7 day week most weeks hopefully it will change soon but don’t how long for, so I am look after him by myself at weekends and evening, working 4 day week, running the home and then going round tiding up after other half when he gets home cause he is so tired. Anyway any mummy’s or anyone who can give advice how to get started and how I could work around family/home life (i know I could make it work but need some help seeing how) I can’t keep working an office job it killing my soul! Thanks x

As a client, visiting the beauty therapist should be a relaxing enjoyable experience where you’re given undivided attention in a calming relaxing environment.

I don’t think you should consider working from home with your toddler in tow because you won’t be able to focus on your client 100% if you’re also keeping half an eye on your son. What do you do with your son whilst you’re currently working? Can you continue this arrangement?

Realistically, it takes time to build a steady column of returning clients so can you afford a drop in wages for a few months?

Alternatively, would it be worth looking for a part-time employed salon job until your son starts school full-time, then move to working from home, when childcare costs are less of an issue?

U wasn’t thinking of working from home unless it was close family or friends who don’t mind my son around, plus also I’m OCD with cleaning and if i had none family/friends to my house I would be running around like a mad head cleaning more than i do now plus I don’t have a spare room to do out as a salon, i was thinking of going mobile or rent a chair. My son in nursery 3 days a week and with my mum on another cause of his dad not having days off at the moment.

Ah, when you said ‘work it around my son’, I took that literally. :)

With renting a chair or working mobile, you’re going to experience a drop in wages until you build up your client base so probably a good idea to ensure you have enough savings to cover the ongoing nursery fees in the meantime. If you go mobile, you can make use of your time before your open your business to advertise your services to the local area. Leaflet drops, social media, chat to potential customers at toddler groups etc.
Don’t forget that your potential clients are probably going elsewhere at the moment, so you need to offer them something to give your services a try instead. Not necessarily cheaper prices, but something that adds value so a loyalty card, refer a friend scheme, free mini goody bag on 2nd appointment, etc.

Latest posts

Back