Wanting white platinum hair, getting ashy- help platinum experts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fante

Reaction score
I think I posted in the wrong section before, apologies if I'm double posting, I'm new so...Hi everyone, thanks for looking to help-I'm desperate to get this right!
Natural hair color: medium brown
Current color: light very ashy blonde-sandy looking,warm beige,gray/green

I started my journey to white platinum blonde over 6 months ago, and am constantly left either too brassy or too ashy. Right now my hair is a light, very ashy blonde, I really want the white platinum look. My coworker uses 30 minute bleach, followed by wella t-18 (white lady) toner mixed with 20 volume. She applies it damp and leaves on for about 15 minutes.
I started using t-18 because other wella toners we have at the salon don't get that white I'm looking for, always left with brass. Hours on the Internet, everyone raves about wella t-18.

I wonder if I am leaving the toner on too long...but if I don't I am stuck with the dreaded brassiness. Should I be using a different bleach? We have Blondor and one other. Is 30 minutes bleaching not enough?...it always looks the pale banana color after. A different toner? We always put the toner on all over, is this a mistake? We've done a bleach cap and applied toner, it helps slightly but just keeps darkening my hair. Looking for a solution before I give up and I really don't want to after all this work...thanks.

I think I posted in the wrong section before, apologies if I'm double posting, I'm new so...Hi everyone, thanks for looking to help-I'm desperate to get this right!

I started my journey to white platinum blonde over 6 months ago, and am constantly left either too brassy or too ashy. Right now my hair is a light, very ashy blonde, I really want the white platinum look. My coworker uses 30 minute bleach, followed by wella t-18 (white lady) toner mixed with 20 volume. She applies it damp and leaves on for about 15 minutes.
I started using t-18 because other wella toners we have at the salon don't get that white I'm looking for, always left with brass. Hours on the Internet, everyone raves about wella t-18.

I wonder if I am leaving the toner on too long...but if I don't I am stuck with the dreaded brassiness. Should I be using a different bleach? We have Blondor and one other. Is 30 minutes bleaching not enough?...it always looks the pale banana color after. A different toner? We always put the toner on all over, is this a mistake? We've done a bleach cap and applied toner, it helps slightly but just keeps darkening my hair. Looking for a solution before I give up and I really don't want to after all this work...thanks.

Am really confused as to how a bleach cap darkens your hair? Also on your other post you said they are using hi lift on your roots and now you say bleach?

Yes it sounds like you need to leave the bleach on longer, L'Oréal platinium blue and 20vol for 45 mins. It doesn't dry out like normal bleach.
I do not know what that toner is as I use L'Oréal so would recommend 9.11 dia light

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi thanks for replying. The bleach cap (soap cap) I did to pull some of the ashiness out of my hair from the toner. I meant it darkens my hair soon afterward...the next time we bleach my roots we have to tone my ends as well because they brass slightly. I'm guessing its the buildup of toner darkening my hair.
As far as my roots go, we always use Lamaur 30 Minute Bleach.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi there, I've used white lady before and found it very ash and flat. Personally I would go in with blondor creme bleach and 20 on roots (2 parts h2o2 to bleach), working from the nape up, thin sections, thickly applied, laying each section flat. This product can stay on the hair for 50min. I also loosely apply a plastic cap over the top. When your desired level - palest palest yellow, rinse shampoo and then tone with 10/8 or 10/16 in wella koleston with pastel. Sometime a dash of 10/38 added makes a gorgeous creamy clear blond. Re growth first then straight through. Really watch the development. Best of luck. Are you in the States? White Lady isn't a available here, but a client brought it for me to use. It's very harsh on the hair. Good luck

I always bleach my roots with 6% take it to a lemon yellow then tone with igora royale 0-11 for a few mins till it just starts to tinge purple, it's slightly purple for the day I have it done but then when I shampoo it the excess toner goes away and I'm left with a beautiful white

blondor creme/6% and 10/96 with pastel is what i use for a creamy clean blonde. i had a client who was finding every toner to silvery and only liked her hair after a few washes but she loves it now.

10/96 I'll have to try next. Sounds lovely. Is it a little bit silvery pink?

P01 Luo 100% enough lift to lighten it

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm at work today so I can talk to my coworker about it and get something different started! Ill post pics when I get it done if anyone is curious how it looks

Hi there, I've used white lady before and found it very ash and flat. Personally I would go in with blondor creme bleach and 20 on roots (2 parts h2o2 to bleach), working from the nape up, thin sections, thickly applied, laying each section flat. This product can stay on the hair for 50min. I also loosely apply a plastic cap over the top. When your desired level - palest palest yellow, rinse shampoo and then tone with 10/8 or 10/16 in wella koleston with pastel. Sometime a dash of 10/38 added makes a gorgeous creamy clear blond. Re growth first then straight through. Really watch the development. Best of luck. Are you in the States? White Lady isn't a available here, but a client brought it for me to use. It's very harsh on the hair. Good luck

Hey, thanks for the advice! Yes I live in the US, I was able to get white lady in my local beauty supply. Our salon distributor carries a lot of Wella, but not these older products. I'm pretty sure you can order it off amazon. But you're right I found it dull/flat looking

depending on how long you leave it on for. i usually tone my client for about 10minutes. the violet is just enough to kill any yellows without it going to lilac. and the 9/ just gives that soft ash instead of the silvery tone

I use L'Oreal Platinum Blue and then tone with the following that I got from Pika a while ago. Quote! Wella Koleston Perfect 10/8 and Wella Colour Touch 8/81 with semi lotion (1.9%) (mixed the same way as a Wella semi would be.....2:1) Rinse colour then apply this toner and leave on for 7-10mins (on the head, the toner will start to look as though its going purple but don't panic).
I have tried Po1 but find it goes to Ash on my client. The above gives a nice colour that she is happy with.But if anyone else finds a whiter blonde please post me.

So looking at what supplies I have to work with here, I was thinking of doing Blondor with 20v, then possibly going in with /86 pearl violet for toner. Has anyone tried /86 out? I might try it, if not then the 10/8 or 10/16, was nervous they'd be too dark or ashy

And I meant these are wella colors, sorry

I've tried 86 and it's was gorgeous! Probably wouldn't say it was white blonde if that's what your after more pearly haha

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393114295.853826.jpg
This is 10/8 with pastel, it's a creamy/white blonde x

HairBy Amanda

Yes the /86 is lovely but not platinum. 10/8 with pastel is my fave.

Latest posts

Back