Wanting words of wisdom

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corinnelouise

Reaction score
Hi all - I just wanted to be brave and say hello really - I have done a couple of posts but nothing too much and love what you guys have to say.

I am training in the new year CND one-to-one and really excited, I am also trying to look at training in other things - and have had huge support from my friend Amber Tan who without her help advice and support I wouldnt have been brave enough to go for it. Top beautiful lady!!!! I am hoping to get the nail side of things sorted and am prepared to work work work.

I have given up my job in the soul destroying world of telesales (not to say there is anything wrong with telesales just that its not for me) and am going for it (I just want to say that I am able to do this due to my lovely nan leaving me some money in her will - bitter sweet I must say and I only point this out so other newbie's dont think wow what a big step and do the same without any financial backing).

Saying all that I am so nervous, what if I am rubbish, what if people dont like me, what if I dont make any money and my boyf ends up supporting me.... what if what if. I am just voicing these fears in the hope maybe others identify with this and have some words of wisdom. Pleasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee

Love to all
x Corinne x

Hi and welcome!

Anything new is going to be scary, but if it is what you really want to do and you have the financial backing, I say go for it! But do be aware that it's not as easy as just having the financial backing, becoming a nail technician isnt for everyone, it takes a lot of practice, hair pulling and hard work. If you are having 'what if's' now, just wait until your trying to master a perfect set of enhancements! I'm not at all trying to put you off, it's a wonderful way of creatively expressing yourself while earning money for what you love doing, but a lot of tecs go through a low confidents bout at some stage, you just have to suck it up and keep improving. There is also the competition side of things to think about, are you going to open a salon? work in a salon? Go mobile? Just some things to think about.

That said, I wish you all the luck in the world, dont get down on yourself with what if's, the only regret I think people should have is not doing what you want, not going for it, that would be a far worse what if.....what if I had done it and made a sucess of it but I didnt! :hug:

Thanks WendyRose - yeah I never want to say I would like to have done but didn't. Think a new venture is always scary and hardwork is what I am used to and am very excited and am prepared to work hard and I know from reading all you guys that many people think its easy but I am not one of them, think its new girls nerves as I haven't even done my course yet ha ha.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks for response.
xxxx

hi corinnelouise,

Im totally in the same boat (see my earlier thread) still working full time- but have got the chance to get into a salon for some hands on experience & i am too doing my CND training in a few weeks. So hopefully as we are at the same stage can guide each other.

I too have so many doubts about my work- ive never had any complaints - though they are friends & probably all too nice to complain- though told them i want constructive critisim!
I work in an office all day- its kind of like a call centre- dealing with the legal side of injury claims-& your right it is soul destroying- money isnt bad but i think you have to be happy in what your doing- & ive been doing this for 7 years & hate hate hate it. Me too fear thatif i give up altogether my boyfriend who i live with (hes a solicitor- he unlike me likes law!) will end up supporting me which could damage our relationship- so im going to pluck up the courage in the new year to ask my employer if i can go part time so i can spend half the week in the job i hate & the other half of the week in the salon. What are you planning to do- go mobile/rent space etc?
When i give up work altogether- i hope to rent space in a hair salon. I also trained in spray tans- so if i rent the area for that as well i can run my own little business with very little overheads ((wishfull thinking:lol:)).

I was unfortunately in an accident this year & injured back so have a bit of money coming my way from a claim,- but not enough to give up work altogether- how much do you think it will cost you to set up completely ?

SOrry i do tend to ramble on on these forums! Im just so happy to have this site!

take care

x

Thanks for your response - so much common!!

I haven't got any experience in the field at all other than having years of having nails and treatments. Both my parents originally trained in beauty and hair industry, my mother owned salons years ago and was a Lecturer in Hair at certain colleges in the South East/Kent area, so have had great support from her.

So its very much hold my nose and jump but saying that I am putting together a business plan as we speak so I can message you with my thoughts on that if you wanted. To start I will just be doing friends and family free nails then going mobile (hoping to train in tanning as well) maybe work in a salon for a period of time and then rent a unit and take it from there whether that means I rent a salon or purchase not sure but its a 10 year plan so not sure if thats realistic but really want to train and get experience and be happy wherever that may lead.

I understand where you are coming from as well with the souless life and I too have been very self sufficient all my life so trust is a must with me and my fella. I have explained how I feel to him and where I come from with respect to finances and he is supportive..... tell you what I will message you directly with more info on how I dealt with these feelings if thats ok
Lotsa love c
xxxxx

I wish you both the best of luck in your ventures,
one of the main things that you are going to need is very thick skin, do not take anything to do with your work personally,
Corinnelouise i noticed in your post that you said you were going to practise on friends and family for FREE
this is your first big mistake hun, you don't ever do your services for free as people will not appreciate them the same as they would if they had payed for them and you will get loads of them coming back saying things like, they are lifting for no reason and they just popped off, this is the last thing you need when practising as it will really knock your confidence,
even when practising you charge a training rate and make it clear to them once you are qualified and more confident you will be charging the going rate hth

Thanks so much great advice. xxx

YOUR GONNA BE GREAT, BESIDES YOUVE AD A GREAT MENTOR HA HA:hug:

I wish you both the best of luck in your ventures,
one of the main things that you are going to need is very thick skin, do not take anything to do with your work personally,
Corinnelouise i noticed in your post that you said you were going to practise on friends and family for FREE
this is your first big mistake hun, you don't ever do your services for free as people will not appreciate them the same as they would if they had payed for them and you will get loads of them coming back saying things like, they are lifting for no reason and they just popped off, this is the last thing you need when practising as it will really knock your confidence,
even when practising you charge a training rate and make it clear to them once you are qualified and more confident you will be charging the going rate hth

Louise is correct regarding the thick skin guys, you will need to be ready for comments like 'they all just fell off in bed' , don't take it to heart and think you're awful, they don't just 'fall off'. Your application might not be brilliant to begin with, which may cause a bit of lifting, which encourages the pickers to pick!!!!

Hang in there, don't take your friend's and family's comments personally, keep up the practice (and charging) and know that you will always get advice from all the geeks when you need it:)

First of all well done on embarking on a career that should be truly worthwhile,should you put your heart and soul into it:)

Secondly,have a thick skin as others have said,you can not afford to be meek and mild,be diplomatic,firm,and CHARGE your services....after all you are working with products,providing your services and time,you may well have overheads if you are renting space or have a salon,it is even down to the water or coffee that client may well be drinking provided from you!:lol:

Good luck in your course Corinne,will you be offering all nail services eventually,i.e manicures,pedicures and enhancements?

Hi Corinne,

You have started well, your choice of training and products will give you good stead for the future, what you do with it is up to you, you are the real star in the show, give it your best and things will turn out great.
Good Luck:hug:
Jenx

www.adavnacedbeautyclinic.com

Latest posts

Back