warm, cream wax half leg timing question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm a student and using the spatula in the pot waxing method but despite practicing on friends etc, I cannot seem to get the 30 minutes half leg wax, I'm always over by at least 15 minutes. Any tips to help me reach the 30 minute maximum and pass assessment for the NVQ2 please. I'm not placing my hand on the client's skin after each wax (you know to ease pain etc), and I'm re-dipping the spatula (though of course not if there's any blood spotting), I'm going as fast as I can, but just cannot get it done in the required time - even on not very hairy legs. All the other waxing seems OK time wise - it's just legs? Please help with any tips or hints to speed me up. Thanx. Teresa.xx

Firstly, how long have you been a student? I am only about 10 weeks into my course and I am taking 40 minutes. I have to get down to 20minutes for CIBTAC requirements :eek:! Don't be harsh on yourself and rather achieve quality before trying to get your times down. You really should be applying gentle pressure after removing each strip or will be marked down.

Another thing is how much time do you take to rub the paper strip after applying the wax? I was rubbing about 4 times and my tutor advised me to only give on good rub. This alone reduced my times.

Are you using fabric or paper strips. I began on fabric but really favour the paper strips now. Easier and quicker as you don't have the fabric flapping about, lol.

Hope this helps. xx

thanx Mrs Clooney, I do rub the strip a few times each time, so if I only rub it once well, that'll speed things up. Thanx, that's exactly the tips I need. I started my course in September, so have only been training for three months, but we finished waxing about 5 weeks ago and won't be taught any more, ony assessed in January and February. It's an evening class so they rush everything I think. Cheers. xx

thanx Mrs Clooney, I do rub the strip a few times each time, so if I only rub it once well, that'll speed things up. Thanx, that's exactly the tips I need. I started my course in September, so have only been training for three months, but we finished waxing about 5 weeks ago and won't be taught any more, ony assessed in January and February. It's an evening class so they rush everything I think. Cheers. xx
Oh Teresa, cut yourself some slack hun :hug:. You are being too hard on yourself. You started the same time as me so go easy on yourself. I think colleges start waxing early on in the program because it is quite difficult for most people to master.

Rub once. Works for me. Are you using paper or fabric? I also find that the wax gradually oozes through the fabric and makes my gloves sticky, lol. Paper is fab.

Don't be hard on yourself love, you are new to waxing. when I started a couple of years ago it was taking me a good 40 minutes for half a leg, I am now down to 20 minutes, sometimes even 15.

Try to relax as the more you stress the harder it will be.

I have used fabric strips and found them a right faff so I use paper ones now (when I need to as I do hand sugaring) and they are much better.

Don't know why but I recently started doing the backs of client's legs first and this brought my times down, could be a psychological thing but it works for me.

As you are still a beginner... focus more on technique... once you have that down, the time will follow.

I use fabric and don't find any problems with it at all. It takes me 10-15 minutes to do a lower leg wax. But I started off at 30 minutes in the beginning. It's just practice practice practice.

i agree get your technique perfected and as you gain confidence your timings will get better, if you rush you're likely to make mistakes. 6 months ago it took me 45 mins for a 1/2 leg (including knees and toes) now i'm down to 20 if i'm in a mega rush (and they're skinny!) 15 mins, just takes practice

As everyone has already said, you will get quicker with practice, don't worry.:hug:
How much of the leg are you covering with wax with one dip of the spatula?
When I do a half leg I divide each leg into 4 quadrants, front left, front right, knees and backs of the leg. When I was training I was taught to do smaller areas but this speeds up my time. I also prefer paper strips because of the lack of oozing.
Hope you feel better about this soon.

thank you all so much, I feel much better about it now - I'm amazed by how supportive you all are - big thanx, love Teresa xx

i was trained to use spatula once only, dip it , spread wax and then place strip to remove it.

i still only use a spatula for 1 dip but now i apply the wax to a much larger area before i place the strip and remove it all.

i found this speeds me up considerably and means i use less strips too.

Thanx for that, I'll go for bigger areas and section them, paper strips sound like the way to go! Thanx

Teresa.........try this. Let your clients legs relax in the position they normally lay in...........don't try to force them round. If the insides of their calf is facing upwards, then leave them. Load your spatula and starting under the knee, place the spatula on the leg at a 90 degree angle (as if you're cutting a loaf of bread), then firmly and quickly run the spautala down to the ankle with a thin layer or wax. STay at the 90 degree angle. Cover all of the lower leg that you can reach without having to move their leg. Then get your strip and starting from the bottom, place on the leg, quick rub with the heel of your hand and rip, then again and again. You should only use 1 or strips for the front of each lower leg. Then get them to bend their knee and wax.

Latest posts

Back