Warning label on Seche Vite topcoat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoMo

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Seche Vite topcoat the other night as I have heard good things about it and I read the label as I usually do (weird habit :green:) anway what I read was a little alarming. I don't know if it's just mentioned on the bottles you get in the US or if different countries have a similar warning. This is exactly what my bottle states:

"WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

I found this a little scary and don't know if I even want to use this now. I was just wondering what's in it that would cause these problems. I've never read anything about other polishes containing anything like this. Is this just a warning in the US or do any of you overseas have this same warning?

Oh my gosh...I just ordered it too. I've been using it for about 3 days. I never read the label :\ That IS frightening...

Hello, I have seen this on other products before, not necessarily just nail products. It could be some law that is in Cali only and they are covering their butts in case of law suits? Just throwing it out there, lol, Christy

Hello, I have seen this on other products before, not necessarily just nail products. It could be some law that is in Cali only and they are covering their butts in case of law suits? Just throwing it out there, lol, Christy

I've too seen it on other things, but never a polish before. The way I look at it is that they don't normally put that warning on something unless they have good reason. It's just a little alarming especially to some one who is pregnant or still in their reproductive years, it just makes you wonder.

I think your right, I wouldnt worry about it at all, after all your not intending to eat it, are you:eek:

I don't know if it is related or will help you but this was in last months scratch magazine
Due to escalating public and media pressure, three major nail brands are removing DBP from their US polish formulations. OPI, Orly and Sally Hansen have all acknowledged the move following criticism from health groups and consumers that the chemical is dangerous. This is due to a backlash from reports that concluded the substance links to birth defects among other health issues. Polish formulations in the UK however conform to EU regulations. Here DBP is banned, and so up to now all three companies have been manufacturing different formulations for the UK market. DBP is said to be an endocrine disrupter linked to underdeveloped reproductive systems in newborn boys. The chemical has also been associated with accelerated puberty in girls - a factor that might also be linked to breast cancer.

Thanks lovely Lancashire Lass! I don't even know if we get that mag here in the US!!

No problem at all.
I just remembered reading it and though it may be connected so I dug out last months mag, and hey presto I was right!

Thanks for that info. I've never heard of DBP, but I'm not a nail tech either, so you learn something new ever day. It's one of those things, I guess you just never know for sure what something has in it, do you.

California is the leader in environmental impact laws, their air pollution is so awful from the industrial surge in the 1980's that they had to start somewhere to clean up their air quality. The state of California has set industry standards and violations to manufacturer's high enough that the companies are conforming to California law. The prime example, cetyl alcohol has been used as a carrier for polymers in hair sprays, gels, etc for years but is now banned above 2% beginning in the year 2008. Ok no big deal you say, well here is the impact-

1. fragrance is usually alcohol based
2. polymers must have a quickly evaporating carrier so they will set
3. the regulations will virtually eliminate all non aresol hair sprays, gels and liquid styling products in the U.S. until manufacuterers (who are scrambling) can accomadate the new laws.

Still not such a big deal, just don't sell it in California. Well here's the catch, the fine for violating is $10,000 dollars PER ITEM so say someone goes to a show in Nevada buys a case of hair spray because it's their FAV and they can't get it in California any more, so they buy it and bring it home. They put it on their retail shelves and they MANUFACTURER is now liable for the fine- there are usually 12 bottles of spray to a case so that's a measly $120,000 dollars. This is where it all begins, state side at least.

The east coast also has a coalition following in much the same direction as California, and then throw the EU in to the mix, toss in some Asian policy and there are so many chemicals that have been proven harmful in some capacity that we should cover our heads in sand and stop breathing!!!

We are trained to do our jobs safely and use the chemicals that we work with in and effective and non harmful way. We all know it is not safe to eat, drink or smoke while applying products, so it should be safe to assume that we wouldn't dream of eating the very products we work with.

Manufacturers have to comply with the laws for every state and it is easier sometimes to put a disclaimer on all packages than to package specifically for each state.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now, and quit ranting about our goofy policies! I can speak from experience when I say that the laws from state to state vary and it is easier to print a blanket statement on a package than it is for a manufacturer to change an individual law. CND had to print on their packages of low odor monomer (made just for our state board exams) that it was "odorless" low odor monomer, they also put on the brush packaging not to wash with soap and water or immerse in any other substance than monomer.

These are just the little things, read the warnings, take appropriate precautions (don't eat the stuff) and if it's really a concern do some research to find out what the tests actually were and the concentration of chemicals that must be injested, inhaled or injected before the adverse reaction occured. HTH

Thanks Jeni, that was great. Different states different laws, like you said if it concerns you do research and DON'T EAT IT. So, how did that topcoat taste?:green:

I've seen the same warning while in California, ......... on a packet of sweetener :!:

im doing my first silk full set on a person-ha ha -tomorrow.im just gonna keep it simple and do my best but not take it too seriously
:Grope:

So, I googled all the ingredients, and only one seems to be the most dangerous. The chemical's name is toluene. In several articles, they mention how inhalation, absorption through skin and ingestion can cause birth defects, reproductive problems and kidney and liver problems. Here's the link to one website: TOLUENE

lots of polishes have Toluene and Formaldehyde in them (as preservatives I think) Some of the big brands like Zoya I know, do not, and use this fact to promote their product as safe to use even during pregnancy, I think other big brands have followed suit as Zoya have stated this for several years now.

Not sure why this thread has been resurrected after 5 years, but I think informed people do know that toluene is not harmful in nail enamel as the concentration is so low.

This subject really is old hat now and most quality brands of professional polish are now 3 free having bowed to the PRESSURE from consumer groups NOT because there was any danger from the chemicals in the polish in the first place.

WE professionals should really know the real truth about these things. Maybe start here ...

Chemicals Most Wanted: Bad Rap or Due Justice? - The Conscious Salon - by Nails Magazine

Latest posts

Back