WARNING - Paypal - "phishing"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
I know we receive warnings every now an then but the most vigilant of us can be caught out.

I received an email which looked very convincing from [email protected] saying that a third party had in the last few days tried to access my account and in order to restore my access, I should scan and forward to them by email:

- a credit/debit card statement or utility bill
- a valid passport.

In my reluctance to send such information to anyone by email (although I almost did:smack:), I forwarded the email to Paypals fraud centre and they have confirmed that it was a "phishing" email, ie an fraudulent email which would help fraudsters steel my identity (help!).

I just thought I should warn everyone to be alert.:wink2:

I don't use pay pal what what an awful thing......it's ashame there are so many pieces of S*** in this world...!:twisted:....glad you did not fall into there trap....

I know we receive warnings every now an then but the most vigilant of us can be caught out.

I received an email which looked very convincing from [email protected] saying that a third party had in the last few days tried to access my account and in order to restore my access, I should scan and forward to them by email:

- a credit/debit card statement or utility bill
- a valid passport.

In my reluctance to send such information to anyone by email (although I almost did:smack:), I forwarded the email to Paypals fraud centre and they have confirmed that it was a "phishing" email, ie an fraudulent email which would help fraudsters steel my identity (help!).

I just thought I should warn everyone to be alert.:wink2:

Yes I've had this email 3 times now..tbh I thought about it and then checked my ebay account but no message there.
Scary isn't it? it does look so convincing at first glance.

o0h I think I had this a couple of days ago telling me I needed to update paypal.. its a good job I'm a lazy moo because I just thought 'o0hh I'll do it next time geek needs paying!' thanks for the tip !

just checked it was the same one .. its a good job I leave things to the last minute lol

Had one this morning, but was suspicious, so deleted it:biggrin:

Iv had thie 4 times this week,forward it on to pay pal.I checked my ebay etc nothing there so alarm bells ringing glad i did.Thanks for warning others tho x

I have had 4 so far and the funny thing is they are being sent to my email in my name and my Pay Pal is in my hubbies name and a completely different email address so I just deleted them.

I have had one of these, i went to ebay to see if i could access my paypal account and i could so i just ignored it,
didnt realise i could report it to ebay, thanks for the tip, i will do so and hopefully they may be able to get to the bottom of it

Yep I've had 2 in the last week, bit of a give away when I personally don't have a pay pal account, well not in my name anyway! (hubby!).:D

I just deleted them, but like you say, it's worth while keeping your eyes peeled with these things.

Thanks for the warning.

:irked:thanks for the warning, i'm uber gulibale [sp?] so those sort of things worry me.

why cant people just get a proper job and earn an honest living:irked:

OMG I got an e-mail and scanned my driving licence :mad: am I stupid or what, I have just e-mailed paypal whith a copy of the mail and told them what I have done :green: I cannot beleive I may have been duped like this, I am usually so carefull, :mad: if I could swear on here I would so just read my mind and you will know what I am calling myself

yep i ahve had it too this week asking for utility bill etc. but nothing on my actual paypal account about this....so i have ignored it

yep i had this too:irked: i forwarded it to [email protected] and YEP it's a fraud.

Delete em !

AMb x

me too....i deleted it as the info they wanted was never asked for when i opened my account so why would they need it now !!!....also if they really needed these details they would write...not email.

I just delete anything i don't KNOW to be 100% real and think if they want to get hold me that desperately they will ring/write.

The best and easiest way to tell if an email is "phishing" or not, look at the address to yourself to see if it is correct, plus they will always say "click here" to go to a link, which is where the fraudulent bit is. If it is a genuine site , they will just tell you to log in to your account as normal, but not ask you to click a link in the email.

If in doubt, don't!

Latest posts

Back