Washing hair from a wheelchair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah79

Reaction score
I am a mobile hairdresser Nd have just had a lady contact me, she wants a weekly wash & blow dry. The only thing is, she has not long since had a stroke and can't get out of her wheelchair. Any suggestions on how to wash her hair?

:)

My friends mum is in a wheelchair and she just wheels her chair back to the sink, puts her head back nd washes it but she's not very old so would also depend on the client, probably best to just ask her what she thinks would be the best way x

On most wheelchairs the back of the, folds down doesn't it!? When my mum was wheelchair bound I did this at the sink and she leaned back like at a backwash...obviously with brakes on ;) x

Ill try, she has only just come out of hospital so this her first time having it done at home. I am unsure of what type of wheelchair she has, hopefully I can manage over the sink. Thanks for your help guys :) x

I did a lady in a wheelchair weekly for years, there's no way she could have lent back. How I did it was put the tray on the front of the wheelchair, put an empty bowl on there for her to lean over. I put a towel round her front and back then a plastic cape, then another towell.. I had another bowl on a table or somewhere close by and she Kent over the empty bowl as I outed the clean water on shampooed etc. it worked out fine. J even colours it that way. She always had another towel at hand to wipe her face.

When my grandmother was very ill I would wash her hair using a flannel to wet it, then shampoo it, then use a flannel to rinse, takes time but works as she was unable to lean at all back or forwards without support.
There's also a product from barbicide makers that you rub into the hair, no rinsing or wetting then just towel off that claims to clean the hair just as well. Not sure on how you would style it after as I assume it dried instantly but could be sprayed down to set or blowdry it into style using warm water xoxo

I am a mobile hairdresser Nd have just had a lady contact me, she wants a weekly wash & blow dry. The only thing is, she has not long since had a stroke and can't get out of her wheelchair. Any suggestions on how to wash her hair?

:)

I'm fit and healthy and find normal hairdresser basins washes really uncomfortable. ! Or maybe I'm not as healthy as I thought :p

I'm fit and healthy and find normal hairdresser basins washes really uncomfortable. ! Or maybe I'm not as healthy as I thought :p

Are they tilted to suit you? Is the chair high/ low enough? Do they have a neck sponge thing? Xoxo

There are special extensions you can buy for a kitchen sink that is meant for this. I think the only place I have seen them is www.wimexbeauty.com ... It's a special surface that stretches out beyond the sinks edge to catch water and let it flow down the drain... With a neck rest built in. They would be ideal for any mobile hairdresser to carry as a portable shampoo basin.

You can buy a no rinse shampoo from Sally's it's great and no need for backwash x

Here is a photo of what I am talking about... I remember using them way back in beauty school for clients in wheel chairs.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363869406.091983.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363869406.091983.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 352
Here is a photo of what I am talking about... I remember using them way back in beauty school for clients in wheel chairs.

They are in ableword in the UK xoxo

Are they tilted to suit you? Is the chair high/ low enough? Do they have a neck sponge thing? Xoxo

Some are really sore and feel like my necks strained. I've noticed the new fancy hairdressers all have much note comfortable ones!

Some are really sore and feel like my necks strained. I've noticed the new fancy hairdressers all have much note comfortable ones!

Comfortable backwash basins aren't limited to "fancy" salons, just ones that care. Simply lowering the basin could help. Xoxo

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm certainly going to invest in the sink extension :).

Hey Hun I've got a sink extension thingy going free if you want it? I'm salon based now, you'll just have to pay a few pounds postage if you would like it :) or if your local I could drop it off, where about are you? Xx

Latest posts

Back