Watch what u say

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trini

Reaction score
To all nail techs PLEASE stop telling clients that one type of enhancement is better for the nail than another. L&P Gels and WRAPS none is better than the other none lets the nail (breathe) or infuses the natural nail plate with ingredients that makes it grow faster or (better).Nail damage happens because of lack of knowledge and bad working practices and use of E drills to name a few. Rather explain to the client why a particular system is better for their nails due to body chemistry nail shape and growth patten.

Tricia

Trini said:
To all nail techs PLEASE stop telling clients that one type of enhancement is better for the nail than another. L&P Gels and WRAPS none is better than the other none lets the nail (breathe) or infuses the natural nail plate with ingredients that makes it grow faster or (better).Nail damage happens because of lack of knowledge and bad working practices and use of E drills to name a few. Rather explain to the client why a particular system is better for their nails due to body chemistry nail shape and growth patten.

Tricia

Tricia, I cant really see the point of this thread to be honest. You will find that all technicians on the site follow the correct procedure for our clients by carrying out a full consultation and applying the system that fits into their lifestyle and the correct system for their nails. We do educate our clients as we want the industry to move forwards not only for ourselves but also for our clients. The term grandma, sucking and eggs springs to mind.
David

David i was talking in general not to the geek i get clients mainly from the US who are being told tall stories about nail enhancements we don't don't only have nail tech on the site but people who want information.For e.g I had a lady a week ago for a fill who was under the impression that L&P damage the nail but wraps are good because it ( breaths).
I did explain to her the difference and what causes the damage that she associate with L&P. A question David do u think that only techs that practice good skills visit this site (NO) there are others that check it out too.

Trini said:
David i was talking in general not to the geek i get clients mainly from the US who are being told tall stories about nail enhancements we don't don't only have nail tech on the site but people who want information.For e.g I had a lady a week ago for a fill who was under the impression that L&P damage the nail but wraps are good because it ( breaths).
I did explain to her the difference and what causes the damage that she associate with L&P. A question David do u think that only techs that practice good skills visit this site (NO) there are others that check it out too.

Trini, I can see where you are coming from but perhaps it's the way you worded the original post that made me reply to your post the way I did. Even if technicians that do not practice good skills come onto the site and read posts then they sure get the message of good, safe working practices with the posts and replies that the geeks on this site give which should if they are serious about their careers and clients make them raise their standards. If they do then that is fantastic but if they dont then they aren't really going to take much notice of your original thread.
David

i understand what u are saying all i wanted to do is start a conversation so that clients and potential clients can be informed.

Tricia

The thing you have to think about though, is if you are new to the industry and have only trained in one system to begin with, then you will promote that system to get yourself more clients. To be honest i did it in the beginning.

Untill i learnt alot more and was taught the other systems i could then say to a client what would suit them best. It depends on the lifestyle of that client and also the condition of their nails as to which system will suit them best.

You will always get people who will scare monger clients into having a certain system, but as long as the rest of us try our best to educate the clients we have then that is half the battle. Surely, this is better.:D

#To be honest how many potential clients ome through thsi site anyway? Not tha tmany but can see what you was trying to say think it just came out a bit wrong.

talented talons said:
The thing you have to think about though, is if you are new to the industry and have only trained in one system to begin with, then you will promote that system to get yourself more clients. To be honest i did it in the beginning.

Untill i learnt alot more and was taught the other systems i could then say to a client what would suit them best. It depends on the lifestyle of that client and also the condition of their nails as to which system will suit them best.

You will always get people who will scare monger clients into having a certain system, but as long as the rest of us try our best to educate the clients we have then that is half the battle. Surely, this is better.:D

Yes i have to agree with you hun! I did the same when i started out, I was only using one product and i promoted it like hell to get clients!
And just like yourself as i learnt more about the other systems i too could tell them what suited them best and why.
Its a harsh business and lets face it we are all out for ourselves when it comes to work!

Its the way it is to be honest.

We are all there for each other and will help, but business is business.

As long as we are all professional in what we say and do, ( most of the time...lol) then that's what counts.

Trini said:

Tricia

I think this is a fair point that you made Trini. However, when I started reading it, I thought 'what'?! That was because of the tone in which you wrote...

Writing is a very powerful way of communicating and my opinion is that your view could have been written in a softer tone..... It feels as if you are pointing a finger at ALL nail techs to stop lying to their clients......

Going back to the main point of the thread. Everyone wants to get their products sold and nail techs want the business, so a minority may promote their business by passing on false information.

Personally I dont have the time for that kind rubbish and try to meet the needs of the client more than anything else.

If we have all been educated enough and carried out further research on our own, we should all know that nails dont breathe and no other system is better than the other; however the quality of work and product might just be.

Ive heard a trained nail tech, who had had been working in the company i had alot longer than me, tell a lady that Bio gel was the best for her nails cause it allows ur nails to breathe!!!

A huge big sorry if im wrong, but nails are dead, just like ur hair so they've got no reason to breathe!!!

Sorry to vear off, but ive heard techs do it!! Its called blagging!!! LOL xxxx

SharonAuk said:
Ive heard a trained nail tech, who had had been working in the company i had alot longer than me, tell a lady that Bio gel was the best for her nails cause it allows ur nails to breathe!!!

A huge big sorry if im wrong, but nails are dead, just like ur hair so they've got no reason to breathe!!!

Sorry to vear off, but ive heard techs do it!! Its called blagging!!! LOL xxxx
yes i hav heard that one, havent seen any nails yet that have pores let alone nostrils! i guess its very easy to be virtually brainwashed by your companys marketing ploys. when gels first appeared they were recommended as a "safe" alternative to l&p, probably very clever marketing but unfounded rubbish, the only difference i hav found with gels are theyre more flexible and easier for clients to pick off!

Trini hun I soooo get where you are coming from ... and yes I was one of those that was misled by a gel company I used to use and spouted loads of misinformed drivel to my clients. If you can't trust the company who supplies you to give you good information then who can you? So I continued to preach the Gospel according to St NAG until I saw the light. I actually get more clients now because I speak the facts and because people trust me.

So in answer to your original post, maybe this should be directed at a lot of the nail suppliers who have something to fear by others products, and so can only gain clients by scaremongering. These are the people who instigate this kind of propoganda after all.

I only use gel, and most of my clients just heard about gel, only very few have heard about L&P and none known the existance of fibreglass. But sometimes in the middle of the conversation i explain to them the difrences and benefits and disavantages of the diferent systems. I say that gel is very flexible, natural looking and very glossy, that L&P is very strong, and that fiberglass is very easy to apply, yet gel is hard to master, L&P is hard to learn and has to buffed to shine, and fiberglass is a bit limited in range of colors etc. So they are usually happy with the natural looking and glossy and like the system :)
If i had the 3 systems available i would think that most would still go for gel, some would go for the acrylic gel combo for crip smile lines, and very few would go for fiberglass and L&P.

Thanks for every ones replies and i must admit after reading the original post the wording should of been softer.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
I guest we can promote now the importance of proper education and training and the use of this site as an important learning tool.

Tricia

This thread has jogged my memory! I remember in a salon where I worked they were telling people that the gel they use is pourous, which means that the nails can breathe (this old rubbish again) so they wont get any fungal infections like l&p causes! The manager got a bit stroppy when I did consultations and told clients that nails dont breathe!

Latest posts

Back