Watchdog

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited

Goldie Hawn Geek
Reaction score
Hi Sam

Well done ... I think that the message got over very well. It seemed to be very well "spliced" together. I do hope that it makes a difference to those people who were watching who actually go to those types of salons.

I am so glad I did not miss it.

It is a great start to public awareness!!!

:goal: :fire: :goal: :eyesore: :fire: :eyesore :fire:

Hip Hooray for a good start to this quest!!!

Nickie
Nailmania

A round of applause to Jackie and Sam

very well explained and very professional, what l don't understand is why won't the government bodies do something more instead of saying more should complain. loads of things are against the law without complaints so surely if something/someone can cause damage and the product is outlawed in the united states that should tell them something! lets hope the programme has helped eh!!

Well done SAM AND JACQUIThat was brilliant the way it went.

The non standard salon drives me insane and hopefully the gov will do something about this..

My mate went to a non standard salon a month ago to get a pedicure, she now has a strange growth on her foot which is sooo disgusting, she went to da docters today to be told is was due to that pedicure and she now has to go on antibiotics for a month.. SHE WILL BE COMPLAINGING TO OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH.

IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN GET NO MMA OR NO DRILLS STICKERS ANYWHERE????

Well done again

Cazza :D :D

Please Samuel make some for us to put in our windows!!!!!

hey guys,

well first battle over. and WON!!!! they were ace wern't they.

i agree we do need no mma stickers thats would be cool. not sure about the no drills one though. a 'drill' can be used very safetly with the proper education. how about we change it to 'no idea how to use a drill' stickers!!!!!

antony

YEAH SORRY I AGREE COS THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT CAN USE DRILLS PROPERLY , ITS JUST THAT BLOODY NON STANDARD SALON DOWN DA ROAD THAT CANT THAT WINDS ME UP!!!

NO MMA STICKERS THATS WHAT WE WANT

CAZZA :D :D

yep no MMA sticker for my car would be great

good work sam,jacqui hope this gets the message across to joe public

its cool cazza, it winds all us professionals up!!!!

you know what they say though, if you can't get even, get professional!!! that will always shine through. don't think you got anything to worry about

antony

To Sam, Jacqui and Liza

Well done, that came out really well for the industry.

Agree with all others, am thinking of putting my own notice up to say No MMA etc, would be great if it was an industry thing, would also awaken public interest for those who did not see Watchdog. They will all ask
what is MMA :?:

That will be our opportunity to answer :D
Good work
Lesleyx

Well done liza as well !!!!!

Hi all,
It was a very informative show displaying just the kind of damage that non-professionals can do. I just hope enough people were watching to make a stand. Well done.
I think the "HSE" should get involved!
Love Dye x

I think it could have shown the look of a nss set of nails and a proper set of nails.

Not sure why they wasted valuable time on showing Jacqui airbrushing when they could have shown nails. Will people now think airbrushing means dodgy nails? Even though Jacqui was doing it viewers aren't going to know that.

I think there's a small danger of anyone offering lower price nails, such as people starting out will be seen as offering MMA. £25.00 is not an uncommon charge for new techs.

Overall though, it's a good start.

But Sam, i loved those little flicks of hair under your ears!!

Melle

l agree to the stickers oh yeah.
as there are quite a number of techs on the boards would a difference be had if each one of us sent a letter detailing our worries to the health and safety or MP or anyone in authority? perhaps if they are bombarded by our complaints something may be done.

WEll guys and gals
I have a logo on my website, feel free to copy and paste and then use it freely.............

www.nailsinlondon.com

love Ruth xxxxxxx

Hi everyone

This programme was aimed at the general public and its good that the public have been made aware so that problems can be avoided by asking a few questions. These NSS need to be recognised.

The message will have also got across to the people using these harmful products and made them aware that it will affect there business so this will have already had a positive effect on the industry.

Its better that the problem is dealt with rather than have people going round with bad experiences with no explanation.

I will definatley be advertising that i do not use these products and stickers specifically desinged for this purpose would be a great idea so that they could be immediatley recognised.

Cristine :)

The leading Vietnamese wholesaler called me about the program this evening and told me "I have just designed and ordered from China NO MMA stickers for my customers." I'm sure he will be pleased to sell them to anyone who feels the same as he does about MMA.

Looks like every salon will soon have NO MMA stickers!

Pimlico Bat said:
The leading Vietnamese wholesaler !

Would that be Hollywood Star Nails by chance :?:

Even if there are stickers available for us bona fide nail techs/salons - it won't stop the NSS putting them in their windows either. :cus:

I do think the stickers are a great idea and I for one will have one displayed on all my literature too.

No Mrs Geek!
I was not referring to Hollywood Nails, although I know them. They are not the major player in the UK market. My point was; when every salon in the country displays "NO MMA" stickers, where do we go from there?

How can the consumer know the difference between both monomers? Hysterical outbursts can only confuse the issue. Personally I don't see Watchdog as a way forward for the industry as a whole. But then I don't profess to know the answer either.

With 32 years in the industry I perhaps have seen the effects of EMA and MMA more than most. The damage displayed in recent pictures I have also seen caused by EMA Technicians. Primer burn can cause the same damage exhibited in these pictures as can trauma.

When I started out in the industry everyone, (EVERYONE) used MMA. The first man to create acrylic nails was a New Zealand dentist, he used MMA on his wife. The damage caused by MMA never resembled those in the pictures I have seen represented of late. Swelling, up to 100%, blisters around the cuticle, itching and in extreme cases green puss oozing whenever the nail plate was touched and, extreme pain. Removal of the acrylic was a long and painful process for both Technician and client.

MMA seemed to only effect a very small number of clients and was assumed to be an allergic reaction to the product. Those effected were also then sensitive to EMA. And, then suffered the same reaction when EMA was applied.

Posted this in another section, so sorry for that.

Watchdog has highlighted what is happening. :(
So maybe a way forward is to provide information to the consumer's. I see this being achieved via mags, at all levels. Local paper's doing articles, theres loads of us out here, I am sure we can pull this of. Information on what to ask for, what to see, etc, sample nails being done. Every serious Nail Tech will be willing to do this. Basically provide a consumer guide.

well it looks like da sticker could be a problem....

Well i would suggest that if you have clients that have had problems with the nss then get them to complain to da enviromental health and lets get this mma product banned...

CAzza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back