water based acrylic paints

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
I am new to nail art and I haven't done any course but I was reading the threads here and I saw that a lot of you use water based acrylic paints.
I may sound stupid :o but could you please tell me what water based acrylic paints are? Do you apply them with water? How do they stay on nail? Are they used instead of enamel and how to they come off?
Can I find them in stores for art painting?
Sorry for all these questions but I would be grateful if someone could help me.
Thanks. :Love:

Thank you Jane. Are acrylic paints fluid ?
I am bit confused with acrylic and tempera paints. Can temperas paints be used in nails? Are the same with water based acrylic paints ?
Sorry for all those questions :o

Sorry hun I don't know what tempera paints are. Acrylic are fluid and are just like what you buy the kids for painting. Go and have a look at your local toy shop,Wilkinsons or art supply shop etc...

You can use the 'official' paints from nail suppliers or any other acrylic paint from kits like painting by numbers, models etc..

HTH

Jane

Hi I just use, Childrens poster paints the ones that come with painting by numbers ect these are great as they are a handy size and great selection of colours. I use creyola (cant spell it) They are non toxic and safe £3.00 from wilkinsons bargain!! Paint on wait till the designs dry then seal with top coat looks fantastic!!

Laura

Sorry for my english, when I said tempera I meant watercolours :confused: (I think). They are water based and disolve with water.

water colours, oil based paints will not work......

Acrylic based paints are the ones used for hobby crafting.......for peeps who like to paint ceramic figures, wood boxes and such.....

these are the paints you want......they are usually in small tubes.... not to pricey ........and the consistency is thicker than water...(like a watery glue feeling ) and comes off your brush in water.....

they are easy to apply ....and as said...comes off with polish remover ....or if you mess up you can wipe them off with water as well.....

I would not suggest you paint the whole nail with paint.....but you can if it's done with very thin layers ...as if you do it thick it will crack.....( paint .......not the nail ) ....

these can usually be bought at any craft store, art supply company, big box department stores......along with all types of brushes as well.....
HTH's

Hi, I have a question about acrylic paint for nail art...I bought some and they do not stay on the nail because the surface is glossy :) I can only pain on something like paper, not on plastic or nail polish. How do you deal with it? Or maybe I got wrong paint? It is acrylic water based, non-toxic and comes in tubes.

Thank you!

Your definately not wanting tempera paint to use for nail art - tempera is coloured powder that you mix with egg yolk. They dry very quickly also. I don't hear of many artists using them either. Go to the local art shop and ask about.

Also there are heaps of different textures in acrylic paints so it's trial and error depending on the brand and colour. I paint on canvas and even buying the same brand, the differences in texture in the different colours is hugh. Some are really runny, others are so thick and glunky they're hard to use.

Hi, I have a question about acrylic paint for nail art...I bought some and they do not stay on the nail because the surface is glossy :) I can only pain on something like paper, not on plastic or nail polish. How do you deal with it? Or maybe I got wrong paint? It is acrylic water based, non-toxic and comes in tubes.

Thank you!

You'll have to play about with the consistency. If the paint is too thick or if you make it too runny by adding to much water it won't stay on the nail.

Thank you!

What you can do is once the nail is completely dry, you take a Q-Tip, dip it in some NON-Acetone nail polish remover, and gently swab over the section you are going to use the acrylic paint on. This makes the nail more of a matte finish, and dull....once you have done your design you use your clear top-coat...you'll never be able to tell where it was dull!

I am new to nail art and I haven't done any course but I was reading the threads here and I saw that a lot of you use water based acrylic paints.
I may sound stupid :o but could you please tell me what water based acrylic paints are? Do you apply them with water? How do they stay on nail? Are they used instead of enamel and how to they come off?
Can I find them in stores for art painting?
Sorry for all these questions but I would be grateful if someone could help me.
Thanks. :Love:
craft paints that are none toxic

Thank you for all your answers! :)

Latest posts

Back