Water under nail or nail fungus? (It's black!!!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa111

Reaction score
Ok, I've had a new client for gels. Elderly(ish) lady. Been having gels on fingernails for a loooong time (nno's) but done by previous nail tech who has gone off on maternity leave.

When I soaked off what she had on I noticed a couple of nails were black from half way down to the free edge. One looked very dark but some others looked faded.
When i asked her about this and asked how long she'd had this she said that the previous nail tech said that it was where water had seeped under the gels and made the nails black. She said it had been growing out with the nails as one use to be black from the cuticle (!!!) There's nothing green or falling off or white. (Just black! :eek:)

Has anyone heard of this? Is this normal? I've never come across this before.

they go black after they go green when pseudomonas bacterial infection is not dealt with promptly or properly.

It is not a fungus. It is an active or the resulting stain of a bacterial infection that has been allowed to multiply for FAR too long as, by the time it is BLACK, the infection has been there for some time. Shame on her nail tech for letting it go this far.

Last edited:
hi there dont know if this helps but when i was training i was told to immediately soak off the nails treat with surgical spirit by soaking them in it for twenty minutes then advise them to go to there gp for immediate treatment i.e. antibiotics and do mot put any more nails on until this has completely cleared up hop this helps xx

It is not a fungus. It is an active or the resulting stain of a bacterial infection that has been allowed to multiply for FAR to long as, by the time it is BLACK, the infection has been there for some time. Shame on her nail tech for letting it go this far.

Sorry but follow this advice and you can't go wrong. It never fails to amaze me, what people find acceptable. :hug:

hi there dont know if this helps but when i was training i was told to immediately soak off the nails treat with surgical spirit by soaking them in it for twenty minutes then advise them to go to there gp for immediate treatment i.e. antibiotics and do mot put any more nails on until this has completely cleared up hop this helps xx

This is a teaching site to help people learn the FACTS regarding everything to do with nails. If you click on 'navigation' above on the tool bar you will see a menu that lists Articles and Tutorials ... Read them and you will be well on the way to not only knowing the facts, but being a nail professional. Your tutor should read them because she was completely incorrect with her advice to you and to your client.

Here is an article that will explain what a greenie really is: http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html Read it and learn from it the real facts. The article may sound light hearted and fun (because that is the way the GMG is) but it is serious and it is factual.

You know I read that article before I posted...very informative an helpful but just thought I'd ask anyways as to whether anyone had heard of the water seeping under the gels thing.

Thanks all x

You know I read that article before I posted...very informative an helpful but just thought I'd ask anyways as to whether anyone had heard of the water seeping under the gels thing.

Thanks all x

Just trying to help here. Of course every nail technician should know about it and be aware that this can happen anytime and take precautions against it occuring. Any foundation worth its salt should teach this information before anyone practises on any volunteers. I'm surprised you didn't TBH.

Moisture can leak under any nail enhancement product be it gel or L&P or wraps ... if the maintenance has not been carried out meticulously or if a nail has been cracked. It is not uncommon for these things to happen (another reason why part time nail techs often aren't available to deal with these things when they should be dealt with , which is immediately).
Even the climate where one lives can be a contributory factor to a bacterial infection.

If dealt with immediately and with knowledge, then no infection should have a chance to get more than started. Often poor maintenance is the problem, where the nail technician hasn't realised (or ignored) the fact that something is loose etc. To get to the stage of being black, shows a serious lack of care or knowledge or both.

Latest posts

Back