Watery eyes and eyelash extensions - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshinjune

Reaction score
Hi guys, just had a client who's eyes watered the whole way through. I used micropore tape to tape lower lashes, but because of the water it unstuck itself and lower lashes poked out and got stuck to some of the extensions! Nightmare. Also, the water saturated the upper lashes on one side, which meant applying them was a nightmare. The watering started the minute I applied tape. I had a nightmare applying it, and had to redo quite a few times. So nothing to do with the glue fumes. Plus I use an air blower. Anyone had any similar experience and have any tips? Thnx so much! X

Is this a new client?
Have you patch tested the glue on her?
Is she allergic to plasters?
If its her first time it could just be playing around with her eyes set her off and she will probably be fine next time but if not there's lots of other reasons it could be.
The tape may be too close to her eye.
Maybe try gel pads, some clients find these more comfortable x

I have client for brow waxing who's eyes water the minute I start touching her! Just the cleansing and application of the wax sets her off! It may just be her eyes are super sensitive and it's just her body's natural defence mechanism kicking in to protect her eyes. Hope you can get it sorted x

I would recommend buying some gel patches. You will be able to get sensitive ones which I find I use a lot of with clients who have watery eyes or cant have specific products or have Irritants to certain things. You can also get lint free which I use on most clients except clients who have watery eyes etc. patches are the safest to use not the micro tape on the bottom lashes they protect the skin against the tools, glue and are a lot more comfortable x

Hi thanks so much for your replies.

It's def not the glue as patch tested. I did have trouble positioning the tape as for some reason when she closed her eyes the tape seemed to poke into her upper eyelids which she found uncomfortable. I don't know why this was, as I checked and it was all positioned correctly, I think it was just the shape of her eye. But yes, this may well have started her off.

I think I will try gel patches next time and see if this helps. Bless her, she kept apologising to me and I felt so sorry for her!

Question for all you more experienced lashers out there, what do you do when they start watering like this? Especially when it saturates the extensions mid application? I just used the lint free applicators and blowers to try and dry them out as quickly as possible. Should I have stopped the procedure and re-taped?

Thanks so much for all your help.

If I experience a client who has watery eyes I would use the blower to try and dry them off then go onto the other eye. I would also change the patches because once they are wet they become harder to use as they soak the wetness up x

It sounds like the tape is ittitating her eyes and you are too close with it.
It either needs to be further away for her eye or try gel patches.
If they get wet use a tissue to soak up the tears immediately. Just lay it over the tape/pad but under the lashes. Give her a few seconds and this should work.
A blower may make it worse, think about when you get wind in your face or cold air?
That should help x

Thanks! Great tip re: blower I hadn't thought of that. I will def try pads. As for the tape being too close, I tried to move it further away, but then her lower lashes would pop out! (She had really short lower lashes). So I couldn't physically get it any closer. Thanks so much for all your tips and replies really helps. I'm just starting out in this, and had never experienced a client as difficult as my one yesterday, and I've really lost a lot of confidence because of it :(

Don't worry, there's always the odd client with teeny tiny squinty watery twichy eyes and fair lashes that you can hardly see with lids that droop down to their knees but if you can cope with it the rest will seem a doddle :)

Things like pulling the lids back with a bit of tape helps as it lifts them away from the lower lashes a bit,
Also I personally love cocktail sticks...as a newbie, with difficult clients after every few lashes use the stick to skim along the lash line gently to check for any that are sticking.

Don't let this knock you, as time goes on you will find your own ways that help you deal with this situation. X

That makes it sound like I tape their eyes open lol
I mean just to lift the lids a bit x

Awwww thanks so much! I did another set this morning, and used gel patches which were soooooo much better! So will def use them on the other client for her infills. The set this morning went really well so feel MUCH better. Thanks for the other tips as well, really appreciate it. I love doing this so much, I can't wait till I feel more confident. Problem is I'm at this stage now where so much interest is being generated, I'm having people over and above friends and family that want them doing, and I'm not sure I'm ready!!! I don't plan to fully launch until November 1 (I am doing the Xtreme Lashes course in October). So don't want them to think that the quality of what I am doing now reflects on what they will be like when I fully launch! But equally, want to take advantage of the interest..... The advice of everyone on here is SO helpful, thanks so much :)

Are you not trained in lashes yet? Xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, yes I am trained and qualified. I did a one day course a few weeks ago with BBA. I'm also insured with BABTAC. However, I am treating this as an 'introduction to eyelash extensions' until the Xtreme Lashes training in October :) I want to launch my business with the Xtreme brand. I'm using the time between now and then to get as much practice as possible. xx

Sorry - I should have clarified in my earlier post lol xx

1 Remove your eye makeup. Use a gentle eye makeup remover to wipe away any mascara or eyeliner. This makes it easier for you to see where your real lash ends and the extension begins.
2 Steam your face. The hot steam will help loosen the eyelash extensions. Follow these steps:
Heat up a bowl of water in the microwave. Let it get hot enough to produce steam.
Hold your face over the bowl and drape a towel over your heat, to trap the steam around your face.
Steam your face for about ten minutes.
3 Wet a cotton ball with olive oil. Wipe it on your lashes, taking care not to get any in your eye. Continue gently wiping your lashes with oil until the extensions begin to fall off.
4 Rinse your eyelashes. Splash warm water on your eyelashes to wash away the oil.

1 Remove your eye makeup. Use a gentle eye makeup remover to wipe away any mascara or eyeliner. This makes it easier for you to see where your real lash ends and the extension begins.
2 Steam your face. The hot steam will help loosen the eyelash extensions. Follow these steps:
Heat up a bowl of water in the microwave. Let it get hot enough to produce steam.
Hold your face over the bowl and drape a towel over your heat, to trap the steam around your face.
Steam your face for about ten minutes.
3 Wet a cotton ball with olive oil. Wipe it on your lashes, taking care not to get any in your eye. Continue gently wiping your lashes with oil until the extensions begin to fall off.
4 Rinse your eyelashes. Splash warm water on your eyelashes to wash away the oil.

I don't get the relevance of this?
The op was asking about watery eyes..not how to self remove lashes. Which as professionals we should never suggest to any client.
Lashes should always be removed by a professional to minimise damage.

This happened to
Me on a new client don't think she was used to anything near her eyes. only with one eye though, I just used the blower, used a tissue to try and mop up some tears
And just left that eye for
a bit before carrying on. She was fine when she came back for infills. I use the gel patches and they can be a bit annoying!

This has happened to me too don't let it knock your confidence and you must take advantage of all those willing lash models, it's the only way! I've been doing them for 10 months and I have to say it took me 6 months of continuous lashes to feel proud of a neat full lucious set.. Keep at it! 😀

Latest posts

Back