Wax burn, is it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have been waxing for a few months now, and haven't encountered any problems with burns as I always test the wax on my inner wrist as trained.

I waxed a ladies eyebrows on Monday with warm wax, and the first one was fine, the second made her shout a bit but was more hairy, and then when I put the cleanser/cooling gel on afterwards she said it stung a bit. No problems after a few minutes, and she stayed for a pedicure too.

She called me later to say that the one eyebrow that had been sore had now come up looking like it was a burn on the skin in one little patch. I sugested that she use some E45 to look after it, and avoid anything too strong/antiseptic for the immediate 24hours which she has done, and she says that today it has stopped hurting, but that it does look like a burn.

Is it possible to burn one eyebrow and not the other?? The wax temperature was not altered at all during the procedure, and as I said, I tested it each time anyway.

Thankfully she is a friend of mine too, so she is being really understanding about it, and actually wants to know when she can have them done again as she gets married in 5 weeks time and had booked to have them re-done a coupld of days before the wedding!

Anyhelp, suggestions, warnings etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm already thinking that I will use hot wax next time?!

Many thanks,
Lorraine

Sounds to me like you have lifted the skin rather than burnt it, if the wax was too hot it would not burn just a small area. Perhaps this patch of skin was still slightly damp from the Pre-wax lotion, or you have just had a blip in the way you have removed the wax (lifting up) both can cause lifting of the skin which is not always immediately apparent but presents like a burn. I would suggest not waxing the eyebrows again until ready for the wedding shape, give the skin time to fully heal or you risk lifting it again as affectively there will be scar tissue. I would use a bit of talc to prevent this happening again. I think some girls use oil nowadays but I have no experience with that!

HTH x

Sounds to me like you have lifted the skin rather than burnt it, if the wax was too hot it would not burn just a small area. Perhaps this patch of skin was still slightly damp from the Pre-wax lotion, or you have just had a blip in the way you have removed the wax (lifting up) both can cause lifting of the skin which is not always immediately apparent but presents like a burn. I would suggest not waxing the eyebrows again until ready for the wedding shape, give the skin time to fully heal or you risk lifting it again as affectively there will be scar tissue. I would use a bit of talc to prevent this happening again. I think some girls use oil nowadays but I have no experience with that!

HTH x

Thanks, that's great.

So if I used hot wax next time too, that would further prevent any skin lifting right?

I will tell her she has to wait until the one before the wedding too.

could be a friction burn .

make sure you apply the wax thinly and support the skin well to help avoid this .

Thanks, that's great.

So if I used hot wax next time too, that would further prevent any skin lifting right?

Non strip wax with a little pre wax oil underneath will make all the difference for the brow waxing.

Jack

Whilst at college 4 years ago I decided to wax my own eyebrows...fatal mistake. First eyebrow went great, second one, not so great.

I had exactly the same, the skin was particularly sore, regardless of what I put on it, shiny and red. The following day it had scabbed up completely and stayed like that for a week. This was due to me removing the wax strip 'up' rather then close to the skin and across. This, needless to say was the last time I waxed my own eyebrows for a few years, and have only just started doing it again. I would suggest aloe Vera gel, soothing and calming :)

Hope this has helped x

personally, with this client, and as you are not sure what has caused this, although I do agree with the above posts, I would be tempted to tweeze her eyebrows before her wedding to ensure this does not happen again (she may be a friend, but beware the bridzillas!:Scared:). After her wedding, go back to waxing.

Thanks, that's great.

No hot wax won't prevent this if it's because you didn't stretch the skin properly... Personally I only use hot wax on eyebrows but it's really all about supporting the eyebrows and keeping that skin stretched!

Latest posts

Back