Wax complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gellish nails

Reaction score
Hi ... need some advice.. I did a complete body wax and the price was 35.00 but due to the severe hair growth I advised the cust that it will be £40.00.. cust paid and went. Next day I get a call from her friend who advised she wants her money back as she has been burnt on her arms and legs... I asked for pics of the affected area I got a pic of a small area on her arm that had gone red.. I asked for leg pics but nothing came through she advised she felt discriminated as she was charged more due to the hair growth .. the friend advised she was in agony so will have to go hospital... i asked for hospital report.. I was told they called 111 and advised to apply cold compress. I have insurance ect but this has really disheartend me ... any advice ladies

She needs to come in and see you! Pics are not enough for you to determine her skins condition. If she feels it's bad enough she should go straight to a doctor. The price (in money) is not at all the priority

Full body wax for £35? In no way do I mean to sound condescending, but it's too cheap for a confident job. You need to see her to give advice. If she refuses to come in then insurance claim may be void. I'm not 100% on that but would make sense. Tho I wouldn't hand money back as its accepting blame, at this point

Full body wax for £35? In no way do I mean to sound condescending, but it's too cheap for a confident job. You need to see her to give advice. If she refuses to come in then insurance claim may be void. I'm not 100% on that but would make sense. Tho I wouldn't hand money back as its accepting blame, at this point

Thanx for your reply... In Leicester this unfortunatly is the going price.. this is still expensive... salons do full arms legs under arms for 15.00. Eyebrow threading for 1.00 upperlip for 2.50.. I am a home salon so I started this to just get the feel of it.. my aim soon is open a small salon in a village where I can charge my worth... honestly my products training are all salon standard...

The client came from Grimsby so is no longer in Leicester I know they are not burns maybe a little reddness which is norm. A declartion form was not filled in ... and I think she clocked onto this later on

I seriously doubt she'll take it further because you’ve not caused 3rd degree burns. Some redness is to be expected with waxing and it will clear up naturally. You can charge what you like and if you want to charge extra because she’s hairy, then that’s up to you.

Discrimination can only be challenged when it’s unlawful such as discrimination on the grounds of race, sex or disability. Being more or less hairy than the next person is not a protected characteristic.

You should be doing a proper consultation every time and keeping detailed records. She can’t sue you for not being thorough but your insurer will always ask for copies of your records if a client makes a claim against you. In this case, you could have completed your notes after she left your salon, for all she knows.

However, where I think you might be at fault is in breaching client confidentiality and discussing the situation with her friend.
Did you have the client’s express authorisation to speak to the friend on her behalf?
Data Protection laws (GDPR) are very clear in this sort of situation and a breach of the regulations is actually a serious offence and could be grounds for legal action!

Next time, you really must say that client confidentiality is extremely important to you and that you are not prepared to discuss the situation with a 3rd party without her express consent. Doesn’t matter if it’s her husband, mother, best friend or even her doctor.

Attachments

• IMG-20180812-WA0073.jpg
    IMG-20180812-WA0073.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 180
Good advice I will keep this in mind x

[not a waxer] WTF? Unless you waxed all the way down her hand and finger, and at odd angles, that ain't no waxing burn! Looks like she's caught it on an iron to me.

If that photo is the only evidence she is supplying to support her claim then I don't think you need worry.
Even assuming it was from the waxing then it is only superficial grazing. Standard home care advice about continuing to apply an antiseptic soothing lotion covers you here I think.
Yes it might be painful but certainly not like a second or third degree burn, and it will be all better in a week.

For anyone interested:
What are the classifications of burns?
  1. First-degree (superficial) burns. First-degree burns affect only the epidermis, or outer layer of skin. ... The burn site is red, painful, dry, and with no blisters. Mild sunburn is an example.
  2. Second-degree (partial thickness) burns. Second-degree burns involve the epidermis and part of the dermis layer of skin. ...
  3. Third-degree (full thickness) burns.
Classification of Burns - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester ...
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90...

If that photo is the only evidence she is supplying to support her claim then I don't think you need worry.
Even assuming it was from the waxing then it is only superficial grazing. Standard home care advice about continuing to apply an antiseptic soothing lotion covers you here I think.
Yes it might be painful but certainly not like a second or third degree burn, and it will be all better in a week.

For anyone interested:
What are the classifications of burns?
  1. First-degree (superficial) burns. First-degree burns affect only the epidermis, or outer layer of skin. ... The burn site is red, painful, dry, and with no blisters. Mild sunburn is an example.
  2. Second-degree (partial thickness) burns. Second-degree burns involve the epidermis and part of the dermis layer of skin. ...
  3. Third-degree (full thickness) burns.
Classification of Burns - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester ...
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90...

Such a shame the world has come to this... I live in a refuge due to domestic violence and its hard to pay rent on a 13 hour job.. so I took this up ... travelled by bus putting all the items in a shopping trolley used a lot of wax and strips and ended up in a loss

The best thing to do is phone your insurance and speak to them about it. They’ll advise on what to do next

I have already returned the money.. I could not cope with the stress

I’m sorry you’ve been having a tough time and it sounds like self employment perhaps isn’t really for you at this time and you’d be better looking for paid employment at least until your confidence improves.
When self employed you need to be able to spot chancers like this and deal with them very firmly, otherwise, you’ll end up refunding many of your clients. It’s a tough business working on your own and I can appreciate that dealing with confrontation at the moment could be difficult for you so try not to let this incident set you back and focus positively on how to move forward with your skills.
I’m sure you will get there.

I’m sorry you’ve been having a tough time and it sounds like self employment perhaps isn’t really for you at this time and you’d be better looking for paid employment at least until your confidence improves.
When self employed you need to be able to spot chancers like this and deal with them very firmly, otherwise, you’ll end up refunding many of your clients. It’s a tough business working on your own and I can appreciate that dealing with confrontation at the moment could be difficult for you so try not to let this incident set you back and focus positively on how to move forward with your skills.
I’m sure you will get there.

I don’t know who your insurance is with, but in situations like these, mine says never refund straight away. Always decline and say you’ll get further advice. Then phone your insurance and see what they say. If you refund then you’re admitting liability x

Latest posts

Back