Wax pot cross infection question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattyB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just had a visit today from the health and safety officer to discuss my new salon (which is not yet open) and my requirements to meet legislation.

She asked me if I would be offering waxing treatments and which system I would be using. I replied that I would and intended on using a pot of wax and heater with disposable spatulas.

She said this would be fine but I need to use a new spatula everytime I need to put it back into the pot to get more wax!!:irked: I had planned on using a new spatula for each new client, or different area which they wanted treating but not everytime I needed more wax as could end up using about 30 spatulas for a leg wax!!! I have not trained in a roll on system and was taught like this at college where they never pointed out that it could spread infection.

I do understand her point of view however how practical is this? Does anybody out there use pots of wax and do this? I can see it is viable for a small area but what about a full leg wax? She also suggested using a new pot of wax per client...but that would not be cost effective!!

I'm not sure what to do as I have only ever used pot wax and always used a minimal amount (1-2) of spatulas per treatment but that was when I worked for someone else.

I am worried as don't want to be closed down!! Any advice on how you practice this would help me decide what to do or put my mind at rest...thanks.

Okay, I am only a beauty college student here, but have started learning about waxing. So, for what it is worth, here's my 2 pence worth.

We are taught that it is acceptable to use one single spatula to do an entire leg wax. However, once you start venturing into the bikini and axillae regions, then you need to dispose of your spatula each time it is used.

This is what we have been taught so far. HTH.

Just thought of another thing. For very small areas, could you not split your spatulas in half lengthways so that you get 2 fresh uses out out of one spatula?

Just thought of another thing. For very small areas, could you not split your spatulas in half lengthways so that you get 2 fresh uses out out of one spatula?

Hi hun, thanks for the quick response. I do do this already although have just bought some lolli pop stick style spatulas for this. Glad to hear colleges are not teaching it any different to how they did 6 yrs ago when I trained!

hi
the way i use wax pot - is to have 1 spatula just for dipping in wax and 1 to use to apply on the body

what you do is dip the pot spatula in wax and then 'dribble' it on to the body spatula - this way the wax spatula never touchs the body

hmmm does that make sense how i explained it ?

not sure about splitting spatula in half as they might be sharp bits left and they are cheap enough anyway

hth
nicola

Hi all,

I have just had a visit today from the health and safety officer to discuss my new salon (which is not yet open) and my requirements to meet legislation.

She asked me if I would be offering waxing treatments and which system I would be using. I replied that I would and intended on using a pot of wax and heater with disposable spatulas.

She said this would be fine but I need to use a new spatula everytime I need to put it back into the pot to get more wax!!:irked: I had planned on using a new spatula for each new client, or different area which they wanted treating but not everytime I needed more wax as could end up using about 30 spatulas for a leg wax!!! I have not trained in a roll on system and was taught like this at college where they never pointed out that it could spread infection.

I do understand her point of view however how practical is this? Does anybody out there use pots of wax and do this? I can see it is viable for a small area but what about a full leg wax? She also suggested using a new pot of wax per client...but that would not be cost effective!!

I'm not sure what to do as I have only ever used pot wax and always used a minimal amount (1-2) of spatulas per treatment but that was when I worked for someone else.

I am worried as don't want to be closed down!! Any advice on how you practice this would help me decide what to do or put my mind at rest...thanks.

I received my copy of the Habia new waxing regulations a while ago (will see if I can find the copy of it) and it seems like your inspector is following what is recommended on these guidelines. However, I do recall that it mentions about the option of drizzling from one spatula to another which perfect beauty mentions. I will see if I can find it for you and add a link to it. It basically gave me the impression that they want salons to move forward onto the individual head type applicators like ABC and Phd which I am not a massive fan of.

This is the Habia recommended Code of Practice that i mentioned:

http://www.habia.org/uploads/Code_of_Practice_Waxing_On-line_Version_January_20071.pdf

I first became aware of this concern with a magazine article a few years back and although i really do not believe you can catch any thing out of a wax pot ,i thought it wont be long before its picked up on by health and safety. So when i needed a new wax pot i bought a roller system and after getting used to it i love it.
I still use pot wax for bikinis and underarms but i dont redip .
My daughter is doing nvq 2 and she is not supposed to re dip either.Although as they are learning they were filling up the bins with spatulas, so i think while they are practising on eachother they are redipping but once they start assessments and outside clients they won't be allowed.

hi
the way i use wax pot - is to have 1 spatula just for dipping in wax and 1 to use to apply on the body

what you do is dip the pot spatula in wax and then 'dribble' it on to the body spatula - this way the wax spatula never touchs the body

hmmm does that make sense how i explained it ?

not sure about splitting spatula in half as they might be sharp bits left and they are cheap enough anyway

hth
nicola

I like the idea and it does make sense however is it messy..sounds like it could be?

I like the idea and it does make sense however is it messy..sounds like it could be?
Its a pain.
As you have a salon i would definately look into the roller and disposable head methods you cant go wrong then. Some think its cheating because it's so easy,but its just a different way.
Have a search and you will find most who use them love them.I use clean and easy roller.Others love the australian body care disposable head one, but there are also others.

yes it is a pain - but i also have trusty roller wax as well :)

but is a good alternative to using loads of spatulas and like everything else practice make perfect and quicker lol - which if like me is needed lol

nicola
x

I have just bought a brand new wax pot which is an egg pot and cost £45. You can convert it to a roller system with disposable heads for just £40 more but I have heard bad reports about the tubes taking ages to heat up - also the cost of the treatment is then more expensive? really don't know what to do? has any one else used the egg pot roller system? The lady doing the demos on the stand at professional beauty even gave me a clue that they take ages to warm up as she suggested putting it on a timer so it comes on before you get to the salon?

I have just bought a brand new wax pot which is an egg pot and cost £45. You can convert it to a roller system with disposable heads for just £40 more but I have heard bad reports about the tubes taking ages to heat up - also the cost of the treatment is then more expensive? really don't know what to do? has any one else used the egg pot roller system? The lady doing the demos on the stand at professional beauty even gave me a clue that they take ages to warm up as she suggested putting it on a timer so it comes on before you get to the salon?

I thought the Egg Pot system converted to a tube system and not a roller system? I have never tried it so cant help with whether it works but I did think it was a good idea when I saw it advertised.

You could always keep it for pot wax and get another roller system.I wouldnt think at £40 it would take many rollers and you may need something bigger if you are busy . It is best in a business to have a stand by wax pot in case one goes suddenly ,they dont usually give warning.
My clean and easy heats up very quickly.
I really don't know why they are not introducing the disposable wax systems in colleges now as i'm sure eventually due to health and safety everyone will be made to use them.

I thought the Egg Pot system converted to a tube system and not a roller system? I have never tried it so cant help with whether it works but I did think it was a good idea when I saw it advertised.

Sorry ...meant tube system...beer has gone to my head..and my legs!!

quick question ladies...

before starting a waxing treatment do you sanatise your hands then wipe the surface you will be waxing on with pre wax solution before you wax?

then only use another spatula should you need to work on areas where there has been blood spotting?

would this not help prevent cross contamination?

for those who mentioned the roller system (i use both) - if you needed to go over where there was blood spotting would the roller it self not get contaminated?

quick question ladies...

before starting a waxing treatment do you sanatise your hands then wipe the surface you will be waxing on with pre wax solution before you wax?

then only use another spatula should you need to work on areas where there has been blood spotting?

would this not help prevent cross contamination?

for those who mentioned the roller system (i use both) - if you needed to go over where there was blood spotting would the roller it self not get contaminated?

It doesnt matter that you do all this which im sure we all do ,its what is recommended by health and safety.Of course all this cross contamination is mostly what could happen not what necessarily has happened.
With tube and roller wax the wax doesnt flow back into the tube and you change the heads each client.

i was taught to only dip a spatula once. you do get through quite a few sticks, but they can be bought for about 1p each, so not a massive amount off your treatment price. i do this for all clients, however for me and my daughters i have a seperate pot of wax and i dont worry about redipping for us.

When I trained at college 5 years ago we were told to do just what the H&S officer has told you to do - only put the spatula into the wax once then throw it away because of the potential cross contamination problem. The spatula can pick up bacteria, skin cells, blood etc from the skin and is then dipped back in the wax. I wouldn´t like to be client no.20!

Roller systems have the same problem as spatulas as the roller goes over the skin and back into the wax.

I use PHD and would never go back to spatula waxing. Once you get the hang of the system, it is incredibly easy to use and is as hygenic as you can get. It´s also very fast - I do a half leg in about 15 mins which I could never do with spatulas. The Australian Bodycare system is pretty much the same.

Nikki P - in answer to your hand sanitising question - WEAR GLOVES! You owe it to your client to work as hygenically as possible and gloves are not expensive - so what if they make your hands sweat.

Gloves is another of my bugbears for waxing. I always use gloves. Years ago (before I trained) I used to get my underarms waxed and the therapist didn´t wear gloves. As I have strong hair, there was always a fair bit of bleeding. When she applied the after wax lotion she would just wipe away the blood with her fingers. I only went a couple of times as I was concerned about the hygiene implications. Yuk!

When I trained at college 5 years ago we were told to do just what the H&S officer has told you to do - only put the spatula into the wax once then throw it away because of the potential cross contamination problem. The spatula can pick up bacteria, skin cells, blood etc from the skin and is then dipped back in the wax. I wouldn´t like to be client no.20!

Roller systems have the same problem as spatulas as the roller goes over the skin and back into the wax.

I use PHD and would never go back to spatula waxing. Once you get the hang of the system, it is incredibly easy to use and is as hygenic as you can get. It´s also very fast - I do a half leg in about 15 mins which I could never do with spatulas. The Australian Bodycare system is pretty much the same.

Nikki P - in answer to your hand sanitising question - WEAR GLOVES! You owe it to your client to work as hygenically as possible and gloves are not expensive - so what if they make your hands sweat.

Gloves is another of my bugbears for waxing. I always use gloves. Years ago (before I trained) I used to get my underarms waxed and the therapist didn´t wear gloves. As I have strong hair, there was always a fair bit of bleeding. When she applied the after wax lotion she would just wipe away the blood with her fingers. I only went a couple of times as I was concerned about the hygiene implications. Yuk!

If you go to the clean and easy web site it states that tests have shown the wax in the cartridge does not get contaminated so providing you change and clean the heads you cannot cross contaminate in use.So it is not the same as using spatulas Index

Funnily enough the health and safety officer was suprised when I mentioned I used gloves. I explained about spot bleeding and she said that it didn't pose as a huge risk to me unless I had open cuts myself. She said that the gloves are more damaging to my health and if I MUST use them then I must buy vinyl..not latex ones.She said not many people use them as find them unsuitable when dealing with wax as feel they get in the way. As long as I use a gel based hand cleanser and don't redip then she was happy. I thought the gloves issue would have been more important but she didn't seem to care less!!!

Latest posts

Back