Wax pot cross infection question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I do luckily I share the building with a dentist

Hi everyone..

you could end up using 100 spatulas or more a day and although the cost is not a huge problem I think the fact that the spatulas are wood is damaging to the environment.

I raised the same question with my friend who works in a salon. She always used a pot and spatula until her boss thought they should try PHD system. They bought it, all trained and now none of them use it. The clients complained saying it wasn't as effective and nipped the skin - especially in the bikini line area. She said it was expensive also. They have it in the salon still but the clients prefer the original method and so they continue to use pot and spatula and re-dip. They leave the phd system there to show the health and safety people so it looks like they are trying!!!!

My conclusion is that I will use a new spatula each time but I do think it will take some getting used to habits are hard to break.:rolleyes:

The spatula wood will almost certainly be from renewable sources. Pine is usually gathered from managed forests so there´s no environmental problem here Pine is grown to be cut down and used.

Not sure what the people in your friend´s salon were doing with their pHD system. It´s just as effective as any other kind of wax and if they were nipping the skin, they weren´t using it properly. It does take a bit of getting used to but once you´ve got the hang of it, it´s really easy. I didn´t like it when I first got it but I persevered and now I couldn´t go back to using spatulas.

I always use a new spatular every time as that's what I was taught. I looked into PHD so decided to go to some salons to try it. I have been to 3 local salons that used the PHD system and I HATE it. I'm not sure if all 3 are using it incorrectly but it was so uncomfortable and felt like it was dragging on my skin and just was not hot enough. One therapist even had to wax my legs twice to get all the hairs out despite my protesting not to & that I would just leave it. None of these Salons knew I was a therapist, I just keep shut then never go there again for waxing!

All those of you that use PHD and said it's great, have I just had bad experiences or have any of you not experienced it from a clients point of view?

I lost a few clients to phd - and Im willing to put my hands up and say Im at fault. I am mobile and it took forever to heat dragging & scratching when the wax wasnt flowing- and had probs with the unit - it had a tiny piece of metal protruding and was putting holes in the wax tubes.

It was so messy and frustrating.

I also think if its left on all day in a salon environment then eventually you could get the hang of it - but for me as I already said - it was just a pain.

I think I could get away with using a new spatula for every dip and think I could get away with 6 spatulas per half leg. If you cut a spatula through the middle length it doesnt splinter.

Phd does take a while to get the hang of but once you're there it really is so easy and quick. It take about 15mins to heat up, much quicker than a pot, and if used properly the wax should just glide on to the skin.

If you've got a machine and don't use it maybe you should try to arrange a refresher course, so that you can troubleshoot any problems you have with someone who knows the machine inside out.

BTW......If you are in spain and have a phd machine, and are having problems please contact me and i will try to arrange a refresher course.

Well this is a new one on me. I only graduated last year and was not taught to use a new spatula for each dip in the pot, only if there was blood spotting were we to use a new spatula. :eek:

I shall use a new one for each dip from now on. Thanks everyone.

Well this is a new one on me. I only graduated last year and was not taught to use a new spatula for each dip in the pot, only if there was blood spotting were we to use a new spatula. :eek:

I shall use a new one for each dip from now on. Thanks everyone.

I guess it all just depends on where we train? Seems like it vary's a bit?!

They were doing a bottom and then a sack and crack on celebrity scissor hands last night and they were re dipping for that.:eek:

They were doing a bottom and then a wax sack and crack on celebrity scissor hands last night and they were re dipping for that.:eek:

eeeewww.

[bring on the puking smiley]:irked:

I always use a new spatular every time as that's what I was taught. I looked into PHD so decided to go to some salons to try it. I have been to 3 local salons that used the PHD system and I HATE it. I'm not sure if all 3 are using it incorrectly but it was so uncomfortable and felt like it was dragging on my skin and just was not hot enough. One therapist even had to wax my legs twice to get all the hairs out despite my protesting not to & that I would just leave it. None of these Salons knew I was a therapist, I just keep shut then never go there again for waxing!

All those of you that use PHD and said it's great, have I just had bad experiences or have any of you not experienced it from a clients point of view?

I wax my own legs and bikini line all the time with my PHD. It doesn´t hurt and it definitely gets all the hair out - no problem. So, either me and Kooky are the world´s best waxers (unlikely!) or we´ve just got the hang of using the system.

I´ve lost count of how many clients have told me it´s the best wax they´ve ever had. I suspect the salons have just bought the kit and not sent the therapists for the training course. (I confess I didn´t do the course, as I was in Spain when I bought the kit, and it did take me a while to suss it out).

As for the wax not feeling hot, one of the advantages of phd is that the wax doesn´t feel hot going onto your skin. It definitely is - you have to use 2 of the rubber hand protectors to stop your hand getting sore from the heat!

The only problem I´ve had with phd is that in the summers here in Spain, I have to use more strips to remove the wax than usual as it goes a bit gloopy when removing it. I´ve come to the conclusion that it´s due to the client´s skin temperature/ambient temperature being higher than usual (I´m regularly working in temperatures of around 30 degrees and high humidity - so I can´t see this being a problem in the UK!!!).

They were doing a bottom and then a wax sack and crack on celebrity scissor hands last night and they were re dipping for that.:eek:

Double ewwwwwwww... unfortunatley this forum doesn´t seem to have a puking smiley. :lol:

That´s one wax treatment I will never, ever be offering *shudders at the thought*

Double ewwwwwwww... unfortunatley this forum doesn´t seem to have a puking smiley. :lol:

That´s one wax treatment I will never, ever be offering *shudders at the thought*

Makes you laugh really doesn't it ,how many of us actually do this and yet every time they have any therapists on the tv they are always waxing bums :lol: Good tv i suppose.(Or maybe not)

I finally dug out my Perron Rigot info I had from Thalgo today, flicking through reminded me of this thread. They have a Stainless Steel spatula for applying a thin layer of strip-type waxes, you can't use that without double-dipping.

I use pot wax at the moment however after reading all these replys I feel that I might be better off getting a roller wax system. Please could someone tell me which one I would be better off with. I don't have too many clients at the moment but would like to get it right. Thanks x

If you know anyone you can see who uses a Roller system or Tube (PhD for example) I'd suggest asking if you can have a look or quick go to see if you feel comfortable using them.

Thanks I will do that I don't want to go to the expense of changing if I don't get on with it especially as I have only just purchased 3 pots of wax!!

When I go for waxing the therapist uses a tea tree spray, on the spatula, before entering the wax pot, for more wax.

Hi,

I am a client and just came across this forum via a Google search. FYI- I recently acquired MRSA through an eyebrow wax. This is terrible! MRSA is serious business! So, glove up and no double-dipping, ladies! Wash your hands before and after each client. I have no clue how this is going to affect my life in the long term, but is has only been about a week or so and it has been pure H*ll so far.

Figure out the excess costs these items will cost you and add it to your rates. In the long run, it is better for everyone.

Thank you,
B

oh wow! what a thread. I use pot and spatula, i use a fresh spatula for each area on a client, i tend to use 2 spatulas for a 1/2 leg etc, will not re-dip a spatula for underarm or bikini but generally will only use 1 or two for each side as don't offer intimate waxing.

I'm not going to say wrong or right to people but i do feel happy with the way i wax, i follow all the guidelines we're supposed to. I have to say the whole idea of 'drizzling' for a full leg wax sounds like my idea of hell, just out of interest for anyone who uses that technique how long does a full leg take?

I personally think that you can go too far. Next we'll be wearing masks for eyebrow shaping and tinting just in case we breathe on a client.

Hope no-one takes offence by that, each to their own i guess.:)

Hi,

I am a client and just came across this forum via a Google search. FYI- I recently acquired MRSA through an eyebrow wax. This is terrible! MRSA is serious business! So, glove up and no double-dipping, ladies! Wash your hands before and after each client. I have no clue how this is going to affect my life in the long term, but is has only been about a week or so and it has been pure H*ll so far.

Figure out the excess costs these items will cost you and add it to your rates. In the long run, it is better for everyone.

Thank you,
B
That's awful! I hope that you're on the road to recovery.

I've never, in all my years heard of anything like this. How did they decide that you got it from an eyebrow wax? From the wax? The therapist?

Latest posts

Back