Wax pot cross infection question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally dug out my Perron Rigot info I had from Thalgo today, flicking through reminded me of this thread. They have a Stainless Steel spatula for applying a thin layer of strip-type waxes, you can't use that without double-dipping.

Well you could if you did the dribble from one spatular to another method that is recommended now with HABIA!! :eek:

If you read your insurance documents you will not be insured if you do not use one stick one dip. That is why I went over to PhD which I absolutely hate but cannot bring myself to use that many spatulars!!! Come on inventors find something better!!!

Good luck with your new business

If you read your insurance documents you will not be insured if you do not use one stick one dip. That is why I went over to PhD which I absolutely hate but cannot bring myself to use that many spatulars!!!

Cost is an interesting one ... PhD is more expensive to use then Pot & Spatula, I don't recall ever seeing a true price comparison of different techniques. Don't forget each spatula costs less then a penny each - hardly a major expenditure.

Mat

There is no guarantee that the heads are changed for each client with PHD wax rollers. Also, the wax inside could still be contaminated. In my view, the head acts just like a spatula.

Hi all,

I have just had a visit today from the health and safety officer to discuss my new salon (which is not yet open) and my requirements to meet legislation.

She asked me if I would be offering waxing treatments and which system I would be using. I replied that I would and intended on using a pot of wax and heater with disposable spatulas.

She said this would be fine but I need to use a new spatula everytime I need to put it back into the pot to get more wax!!:irked: I had planned on using a new spatula for each new client, or different area which they wanted treating but not everytime I needed more wax as could end up using about 30 spatulas for a leg wax!!! I have not trained in a roll on system and was taught like this at college where they never pointed out that it could spread infection.

I do understand her point of view however how practical is this? Does anybody out there use pots of wax and do this? I can see it is viable for a small area but what about a full leg wax? She also suggested using a new pot of wax per client...but that would not be cost effective!!

I'm not sure what to do as I have only ever used pot wax and always used a minimal amount (1-2) of spatulas per treatment but that was when I worked for someone else.

I am worried as don't want to be closed down!! Any advice on how you practice this would help me decide what to do or put my mind at rest...thanks.
Hi i use phd safewax, each time you have a new client you use a new head, if you buy the kit from ellysons you get the course for free, yes it does work out a little more expensive, but i have noticed that since changing to this system clients prefer it, its quicker, no overheating of the wax 'so no burning the client' and NO CROSS CONTAMINATION, hope that helps and don't worry im sure you will do well, good luck :)

Hi - i am new to this site and hope i am doing this right! So far i have been addicted to just reading all the posts. I am doing Level 2 Beauty Therapy (two evenings) at local college and completed the waxing element at just before Christmas - we have been taught with wax pots and only change spatula when doing new area or client (or obviously becomes too sticky - happens all too often when learning!) So worried about this now - i wish i had known about this site when deciding to go back to college!

Hi,

I am a client and just came across this forum via a Google search. FYI- I recently acquired MRSA through an eyebrow wax. This is terrible! MRSA is serious business! So, glove up and no double-dipping, ladies! Wash your hands before and after each client. I have no clue how this is going to affect my life in the long term, but is has only been about a week or so and it has been pure H*ll so far.

Figure out the excess costs these items will cost you and add it to your rates. In the long run, it is better for everyone.

Thank you,
B

Sorry to hear about what has happened to you. I hope that there is something that can be done. There are therapists that do do the right thing, i.e., wear gloves and don't double dip or re-dip only into wax that will be used on that person only (and body area). A lot of the public don't know that this goes on and do not ask the right questions. The more aware the public is about the issue, the more likely it is to change what therapists practice. I know most people I have talked to are horrified double dipping etc goes on. There are a lot of therapist waiting to get conclusive proof that people can get bacterial infections etc before they change their waxing practices (I wouldn't want to be the therapist that gave something to my client:eek:). Personally a few cents (or pence) extra is worth it for your own health and the health of your client.:)

Hi - i am new to this site and hope i am doing this right! So far i have been addicted to just reading all the posts. I am doing Level 2 Beauty Therapy (two evenings) at local college and completed the waxing element at just before Christmas - we have been taught with wax pots and only change spatula when doing new area or client (or obviously becomes too sticky - happens all too often when learning!) So worried about this now - i wish i had known about this site when deciding to go back to college!

I can't believe that colleges are teaching double dipping. All I can suggest is that you are now aware of issues and bring it up with the college. You can change your practices from now on!!:)

With respect, I think you'll find that the education here in the UK is of a very high standard and meets with the guidelines set by HABIA.

I've searched extensively on this matter of the lady getting MRSA from a brow wax and although awful, it's very rare. The couple of similar cases that I read about on the net were inconclusive and none of them were in the UK, so I don't think we should start scaremongering.

Hola everyone!!!
I just came across this thread and it is a hot topic in the US too!
There are many points of view on this and some people adamantly believe that you can pass along Herpes via waxing if you put the stick back in the pot.
I researched this from the Herpes Hotline and there has NEVER been a documented case involving anyone getting Herpes from waxing. It just is not possible.
Think about this: when you apply the wax, you are not touching the skin with the stick, you are applying the wax. ONLY the WAX touches the skin. There is always wax left on the stick.
There is a great site about waxing-- Eva's Esthetics Go there and go to the message board. Lori Nestor is the moderator and she is the Wax Queen. She tells it like it is.
Think about wax like nail polish. Do you use a new brush every time you polish a client? NO! The brush is like the wax. And if you think about it, there is more of a chance for the client to get something from nails as there is usually a tear in the skin or a cut hangnail.
I also use the roller system. The roller is not touching the skin--only the wax is!
Sure hope this helps!
buenos dias,
Lynnette
Salon 29 at Main

Just my two penneth; with a very early working life in pubs and restaurants, holder of a basic food handling certificate and recently trained 'waxing bloke' - I feel strongly that as professionals we should be striving to minimise any risk to our clients. Any possibility of cross contamination, IMHO should be managed out of every session. Why wait to be told when we can lead on this?

In my mind, it's not about the extra cost (that's to be factored into the prices - eh?) - it's about providing the best possible service.

There's a good post here about a marketing edge in stating no double-dip. I agree!

Certainly in the UK, the words 'safety' and 'health' are probably bandied around a little too often, but there's a big difference between my mother stating that we need a little daily dirt, and keeping a pot of something at body temperature all week long to share amongst your paying customers.

I am a single use man, myself! ;) :)

Latest posts

Back