Waxing a minor!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Geeks

Obviously with parental consent and having checked you insurance what is the youngest age you have waxed someone? And what did you wax??

I have a lady who would like me to do her daughters brows, she is 9!

I have provisionally said no but am unable to check with my insurers until monday. Just wondering what you make of this??

I had previsouly refused to treat anyone under the age of 12 but have now started to do a file an polish for younger, I do not want this to be a slipperly slope for people thinking I will treat children!

Personally for me I would not wax a nine yr old, regardless of where they wanted waxing or parental consent!

Some treatments are ok for younger clients but some are a no-no for me. I will happily do a basic mani or pedi on someone as young as 10 because i don't see how that can harm them but doing things like waxing eyebrows or tinting etc would, in my opinion, seriously harm their self esteem in the long run. They won't appreciate their natural beauty and think that they have to look like something in a magazine, teenagers need to develop, beauty wise, naturally.

That's just my pinion and I don't mean to offend anyone!

Personally for me I would not wax a nine yr old, regardless of where they wanted waxing or parental consent!

Some treatments are ok for younger clients but some are a no-no for me. I will happily do a basic mani or pedi on someone as young as 10 because i don't see how that can harm them but doing things like waxing eyebrows or tinting etc would, in my opinion, seriously harm their self esteem in the long run. They won't appreciate their natural beauty and think that they have to look like something in a magazine, teenagers need to develop, beauty wise, naturally.

That's just my pinion and I don't mean to offend anyone!

I think that is an excellent answer about the self esteem!

My neighbours granddaughter is 8 and on a few occasions now has she been admiring my daughters' curls and said to me how her hair was like my girls but her mum hates it so straightens it!

It's more the wee look she does than what she says that makes me sad inside and want to tell her she's a beautiful wee girl and not to worry :(

Obviously I just say nothing as I don't know her mother but it would really hurt me if I heard my girl (2yrs) talk like that when she's older :'(

Lindsey x

I have a 13yo client and I wax her underarms and 1/2 leg, her mum is always present in the room. It was a decision made by both mum and daughter as mum didn't want her to start shaving so daughter asked about waxing. She had quite a lot of hair in both areas but as she participates in a lot of sports like swimming etc and lives in a hot climate waxing is the perfect option for her. She was so thrilled she cried with happiness the first time, she felt so great and special! I see her every 5-6 weeks now and she's so excited when she arrives for her appointment.

I won't go into anything further as I agree it's a fine line for young girls today as to what's deemed appropriate or not but I guess it comes down to common sense on most occasions. I have no problems waxing my above client as I feel it was appropriate and understood (albeit not my decision to make) as to the reasons why and both mum and daughter were happy to come to that decision together. Having said that each case needs to be considered individually, I'm not about to start waxing or recommend waxing or other treatments to every young teenage girl that comes in.

I personally feel 9 however is too young and it's a shame that at this age she or her mother feel it necessary. As you said, check insurance and take it from there. I think I'd be more inclined to find out why and try to advise her to wait and perhaps just be honest and explain your concerns. I guess if it's a thick mono brow type you could just remove the hair from between the brow? I don't think at 9 you need anything done especially to the face but would be a little more sympathetic if it was a case of a thick mono brow as being teased at 9 can also be just as detrimental to her self esteem etc It would be such a shame if it's for no other reason that of her or her mothers asthetic vanity!

I have a 13yo client and I wax her underarms and 1/2 leg, her mum is always present in the room. It was a decision made by both mum and daughter as mum didn't want her to start shaving so daughter asked about waxing. She had quite a lot of hair in both areas but as she participates in a lot of sports like swimming etc and lives in a hot climate waxing is the perfect option for her. She was so thrilled she cried with happiness the first time, she felt so great and special! I see her every 5-6 weeks now and she's so excited when she arrives for her appointment.

I won't go into anything further as I agree it's a fine line for young girls today as to what's deemed appropriate or not but I guess it comes down to common sense on most occasions. I have no problems waxing my above client as I feel it was appropriate and understood (albeit not my decision to make) as to the reasons why and both mum and daughter were happy to come to that decision together. Having said that each case needs to be considered individually, I'm not about to start waxing or recommend waxing or other treatments to every young teenage girl that comes in.

I personally feel 9 however is too young and it's a shame that at this age she or her mother feel it necessary. As you said, check insurance and take it from there. I think I'd be more inclined to find out why and try to advise her to wait and perhaps just be honest and explain your concerns. I guess if it's a thick mono brow type you could just remove the hair from between the brow? I don't think at 9 you need anything done especially to the face but would be a little more sympathetic if it was a case of a thick mono brow as being teased at 9 can also be just as detrimental to her self esteem etc It would be such a shame if it's for no other reason that of her or her mothers asthetic vanity!

I agree you need to find out more. I know some one who waxes her 9 year old daughters brows, just the bit in the middle because she was being teased for having a mono brow. But I can't see any other reason it would be appropriate.

You need to check with your insurers but I'd be surprised if they said yes.
My niece has her brows waxed and tinted and has done since she's 11. She has really gappy brows and it's not nice to get teased but she's my niece. I wouldn't do it on a client.

I can see two sides of this.

On the one hand, as a professional, insured therapist I baulk at the idea of waxing children. Polishing nails, fair enough - it's a fun little thing to do and only lasts for a short time. However, waxing is just not something that should be considered necessary, I mean she's nine! It saddens me that children these days grow up so early. I doubt your insurers would cover you, tbh.

On the other hand, as a mother, my daughter is hairy. I originally thought it was because she was early and would mostly fall out but it hasn't. She's going to have a thick, dark monobrow, already has hairy legs (at 5 - and which the sod has already tried to shave :eek:), and the shower water makes little lines in the hairs of her back, bless her. I know this will more than likely result in my being ostracised but I'll be saving up to help her with more premanent hair removal procedures when she's older - if she wants it done. I would obviously never, ever suggest to her that she needs it done but if she's being teased and it's getting her down then I'll do my damnest to help her.

I agree that you need to find out more about the situation. If it's a mother wanting to 'force' this on her daughter to help make her 'perfect', then walk away!

Thankyou so much for your replies ladies.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of waxing her or I would not have posted. I dont think she has amazingly thick brows or a mono brow so Im not entirely sure why her mother wants it done, it does seem to be the mother more than the child.

I think I will continue to paint childrens nails but say my insurance doesnt cover me for anyone under the age of twelve for other treatments then there is to be no questioning or "personal opinion" type talk.

Latest posts

Back